Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are you a first owner of a first generation Tiger Explorer, and if so,  (Read 10947 times)

Ollyreid, BigLee and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Are you a first owner of a first generation Tiger Explorer, and if so,
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2019, 06:11:42 PM »
Just turned over 50k kms on my '13 TEX. Not huge mileage, but growing steadily.  :001:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline pauhig

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Murwillumbah
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2019, 08:09:45 AM »
Just clicked over 90KM.....purchased it as a demonstrator with 3KM. Had the ECU changed with a recall a few years ago. Only issue has been a failed clutch slave cylinder 18 months ago.

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2019, 10:08:01 PM »
Love mine to bits - its a 2012 model- 38k miles on it - been a superb bike - really cant think of anything else I would change it for  :002:

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2019, 01:05:08 PM »
Just checking in again... I still have my 2014 and have no plans to replace her.  I do ride my Honda CRF250L quite a bit so the TEx has enjoyed some time off but when I have the need to get somewhere quick... the TEx gets the nod!
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline isb

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hell
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2019, 03:59:12 PM »
I have a 2012 graphite with only 11,500 miles on it which is pretty well set up and am enjoying it a lot, particularly since I put a new pair of Shinko 705’s on earlier this summer. I’d replaced the rear with a Shinko some time ago due to picking up a screw, but the front had been on its original Metzeler. I now can’t believe that I let that piece of junk wear out as the handling was completely transformed with the new Shinko’s. I didn’t realize how much of the erratic turn in was due to the tyres rather than just how the bike handled and how poor my handling skills were. It has always seemed mechanically noisy, so I went ahead and had the 20k service done at 10k. It improved somewhat, but still has more top end noise than I would expect is normal. The warranty head work has been performed.

I took a 2018 mk3 XRt with 1000 miles on it and Triumph pannier kit out for a test ride last night. It would be ~$10k to part exchange. Comparative thoughts:

- Better suspension compliance; a less significant difference than I was expecting, but definitely worthwhile
- Immediately apparent better seat comfort. I have a heated rider seat, which is a bit better than standard. The mk3 felt more firm and wider across the sit bones. Very worthwhile.
- It’s slick to be able to adjust the screen on the fly. Buffeting was pretty much eliminated on the high setting, with less airflow. Very worthwhile.
- The bike feels more balanced at slow speed and feels more comfortable doing slow speed tight turns - worthwhile
- Perhaps this is the other side of the last point, but the bike feels much more resistant to tipping into corners. This gave me a little pucker factor on a nice 90 degree sweeper that tightens a bit on exit. I had to push into the corner more than I was expecting. I do wonder if this is a handling characteristic of the tourance next tyres as it was a bit of a flashback to the worn metzeler that I replaced this year. The tyres are basically new on the mk3, so who knows.
- There was a noise that seemed to be coming up around the headstock from about 40mph. The best description I can come up with is a loud dry bearing. I have read negative reviews of the tourance nexts for tyre noise, so maybe it was that.
- Clutch is much lighter and quick shift works well
- Bar geometry seems good out of the box (have Rox risers on mk1)
- Screen looks great. Dealer claims that retrofit Google map integration is coming out in November with actual maps in display (not just turns as with Scrambler 1200). I’ll take that with a pinch of salt, but it would be slick if true.
- I played a bit between road and sport settings, but didn’t detect a big difference. Probably needed a more extended ride to properly evaluate.
- Rode some gravel roads. Mk3 handled fine, but my Mk1 inspires more confidence. I would put this down to tyre difference.
- Triumph pannier kit looks good. The Givi Outback Trekkers that I have on my mk1 are a fair bit wider and will each hold a full face helmet. The Givi’s would be my choice, but then we don’t have to think about filtering width in Michigan since it isn’t allowed, darn it.

I can remove all my farkles, so am thinking about it (with the assumption that the tyres are the source of the handling and noise ‘issues’).
Cheers, Ian

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't.

Offline tbolt

• Explorer Junior
  • More wordy-words of mine at devourmiles.com
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Oregon
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2019, 06:54:47 AM »
I bought my 2012 TEx new in 2015. The bike had been lowered and came with a factory low seat and a National Cycle Vstream windscreen. The cylinder head work had also been done. (Apparently the bike was set up to be sold to someone but the deal fell through, and then it sat unloved for a couple of years until I came along.)

I only have 18500 miles (~30k km) on the odometer as I have two other bikes.

Over the years I've set my TEx up pretty close to my ideal for touring. Mods include Cyclops LED drop-in replacement headlight bulbs, under-grip heaters with Heat-Troller temp control, aux LED driving lights, Denali SoundBomb horn, USB jack for smartphone power up front, Eastern Beaver PC-8 power block to make electrical farkles go, Touratech engine guard/pannier racks and Zega panniers, Rox bar risers, some no-name Chinese adjustable clutch/brake levers, and a Soupys Performance adjustable sidestand.

I just got back from an 1100 mile (1770 km) weekend of riding in Eastern Oregon that was nothing but blissfully curvy pavement and a smidge of hardpack gravel. Damn this bike is fun.

As I'm a tiny person riding a very big bike, I often wish it wasn't so heavy -- and TOP HEAVY at that -- but I can't think of another bike in this class that I want instead. It's my rocket-powered couch.  :008:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:03:42 AM by tbolt »
Triumph Tiger Explorer - Suzuki SV650 - Suzuki DR200

Offline Lanch

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Nuneaton
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2019, 10:36:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Lanch [+]
I bought a new Tex Launch edition in April 2012, having put my deposit down the year before. One of my first posts was in Jan 2012, about colour choice. The second in Feb, after I had been to a lecture at the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, at Warwick Uni. Ive still got the Tex, and intend touring the Pyrenees this June within a few old army mates. It does everything I want, though I am working on my own 'comfort' seat, as I seem to reach my tolerance more quickly the older I get.
I have enjoyed the experience of owning an Explorer, and dont feel any need to change it just yet.

Still got it.
If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride.

Like I have a choice?

Offline Tex Marin

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Bay Area
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2019, 09:30:51 PM »
I'm the original owner of a 2013 Tex currently with 25k mileage, and I still love it. Though I occasionally lust for different bikes, invariably patience or taking a test drive will reaffirm my happiness with the Triumph.

Good parts: engine's power curve, looks, ergos

Bad parts: the seat, which after an hour makes me feel like I've been  :192: . An Airhawk keeps me going longer but I pine for the Russell seat on my previous bike. Clearly my butt has been spoiled.

Offline Stuartb

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2019, 08:16:43 AM »
I bought mine in June 2014. I had been looking for a low miles nearly new bike. I contacted a dealer about one but it had just sold. Then he called me up to ask if I’d be interested in a “new” bike for the same price. It was a bike pre-registered by the dealer in the April. I think they wanted to clear the way before the 2015 with minor updates arrived. Had to travel 150 miles to buy and for the first service, but well worth it.

Has been a good bike for me and achieved primary objective which something more comfortable for my wife to tour with me on. She has gone from being a willing but slightly nervous and reluctant pillion to prompting me to get us out on the bike somewhere.

I’ve farkled most things I wanted so not keen to change any time soon. Still to address buffeting (going to try deflectors first and then an MRA screen). Other big issue to address is my gravel drive. No fun trying to turn it around. I’ve recently been getting my old VFR back into service and the difference manoeuvring the two is pretty stark :-)
Ask me if you have questions about any of:- Carbon fender extender, Pyramid shockshield, Triumph radiator guard, Givi SRA 6403 and 52L Trekker top box, 38L Trekker Outback cases, SW Motech crash bars and Storm handguards, GPS mount for car-based Garmin satnav, Batzen bracket, Skidmarx screen, SW Motech light mounts and LED lights with Skene Designs controller, Fuzeblock, Sena SMH10, Remus Ti Hexacone exhaust. Admore light bar. Handguard indicators/DRLs.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2019, 06:11:38 PM »
Just turned over 55,555 kms on my way back from California yesterday.  :001:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics