Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low Ride Height Sidestand vs the Normal Ride Height Sidestand  (Read 2375 times)

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XC & Trophy
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
Low Ride Height Sidestand vs the Normal Ride Height Sidestand
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:36:01 PM »
I am going to install 20mm Lust Lowering links on my newly acquired 2015 Explorer XC.  I have done this to my 2013 Trophy SE and the bike is somewhat upright when on the sidestand.

I have been reluctant to cut and weld the sidestand on my Trophy and as I was doing research on the Explorer, I noticed that the parts sheets call out two different side stands.  The first T2088061 and the second T2088062 which is identified for the low ride height models.

I figured on my trophy I should cut the sidestand 1/2 inch, and I suspect I need to do that on the Explorer.

Has anyone compared these two sidestands T2088061 and T2088062 to see the difference?  I suspect that the low ride height stand will bolt on to a standard bike, but I would like confirmation from someone who has compared the two.

Please let me know as buying the low ride height one would save me a lot of trouble.

Thanks
ZShyster
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:38:32 PM by ZShyster »

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: Low Ride Height Sidestand vs the Normal Ride Height Sidestand
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 10:46:22 PM »
ZShyster I tried the opposite as I own an XRX-Low and wanted it to sit a bit more upright so tried a side stand off a “standard” non-low Explorer.

First thing is they both fit the same. However on the Low - which is circa 40mm lower than a standard Explorer when measured at the frame (the other 12mm being accommodated by a lower seat) I found the standard side stand made the bike too upright - literally only a degree or two of lean - so reverted back to my original (low) side stand.

If you are only dropping 20mm you may not (IMO) need to amend your stand, but I would suggest that the stand off the Low model could be too low. The whole reason I wanted to lift mine some was because (IMO) the Low has a greater angle of lean than the standard normal ride height machines.

I would suggest with just 20mm lowering, you may find the Low stand a touch too low, but that your original sidestand - whilst making the bike a bit more upright - may still work ok
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:48:26 PM by Hawkeye »

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 01:05:33 AM »
Hawkeye,

Thanks for the information.  If it is too low I can install a foot over it to raise it up a little.  My Trophy is tough to park as I have to make sure the ground does not slope up to the left.

Ride Safe, and again, thanks for the information.

ZShyster

Offline dunc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: explorer 1200
  • City / Town: nsw
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 07:26:22 AM »
be interested in seeing some pics if possible of the 2 stands beside each other
am putting the 40mm lowering on and am sure i will need to get the lower stand
or it will sit to upright

I did pose the Q a while back as to what the stand is made of so as to how to cut it down and weld it by some means but never got a reply

willing for anyone to answer it if they know

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 10:02:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by dunc [+]

I did pose the Q a while back as to what the stand is made of so as to how to cut it down and weld it by some means but never got a reply

Dunc, I don't know for sure, but it makes sense for the Low stand to be OK, if you are lowering 40mm because the Low version of the bike is exactly that much lower. Also, there seems to be a fair amount of latitude between too high and too low.

What I'd be more concerned about is the ability to lower the front wheel by a commensurate amount. 10-12mm has been quoted as the max, both for ride ability and because the cables will become too stretched at any more than that.

I'm in the process of lowering by 20mm, so I'm interested in your results. Please keep us posted.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 10:03:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
Dunc, I don't know for sure, but it makes sense for the Low stand to be OK, if you are lowering 40mm because the Low version of the bike is exactly that much lower. Also, there seems to be a fair amount of latitude between too high and too low.

What I'd be more concerned about is the ability to lower the front wheel by a commensurate amount. 10-12mm has been quoted as the max, both for ride ability and because the cables will become too stretched at any more than that.

I'm in the process of lowering by 20mm, so I'm interested in your results. Please keep us posted.

I mean front forks, not front wheel. Doh.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 01:06:06 PM »
In my research I may have screwed some part numbers up so please forgive me.

I have just purchased a 2015 Tiger Explorer XC and was trying to research if the stand off one of the lower height models would bolt on.  I am not sure and am looking for advice.

Further research has brought me to the diagrams for the 2016 Tiger Explorer XRX. Where the parts diagram of the side stands T2082133 (Black) and T2081546 (Black Low) appear identical to the diagram for the 2015 Tiger Explorer XC side stand T2082130.  There is a difference in the Side stand pivot pin for the 2016 XRX T2084009 versus the 2015 XC T3330867 the latter being a bolt the former a pin.

I cannot tell if the difference between T2082133 (Black) from the 2016 and T2082130 from the 2015 is just the color.  If it is, these parts may be interchangable.  Can anybody help?

You can see where I got this information at:

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2016-triumph-tiger-explorer-xrx/o/m158811#sch970203 

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2015-triumph-tiger-explorer-xc/o/m156669#sch890426 

Thanks
ZShyster

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 03:56:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by dunc [+]

dunc I have both stands so will do some shots for you but won't be until the weekend as away at present with work.

Offline dunc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: explorer 1200
  • City / Town: nsw
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 09:48:58 PM »
thanks
will be watching for them

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
So I thought the only way to do this was to take my (low) sidestand unit off so it would make it easier to compare against the (normal) sidestand.

First main point to note is that the (low) sidestand is not just a shorter version of the standard one in terms of length. More its the angle at which the actual leg of the stand is set at on the 2 different stands, with the standard stand when down. The Low stand, whilst at slightly more of an angle sits in approx 32-35mm compared to the standard stand when they are down. It's also worth noting (but perhaps not so obvious from the pictures) that the bend in both stands are at slightly different lengths from the pivot point. So I think if lowering a (standard) stand, it's not so much the height but more perhaps where you cut and weld it that would make the difference.

Hopefully the attached photos help, some are better than others, but hopefully show what I'm (poorly) trying to explain. If you need more photos or measurements just shout

Recent Topics