Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low Ride Height Sidestand vs the Normal Ride Height Sidestand  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: Low Ride Height Sidestand vs the Normal Ride Height Sidestand
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 02:09:06 PM »
Few more (see above post)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 02:10:37 PM by Hawkeye »

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 02:11:15 PM »
Last 3 to go with above 2 posts

Offline dunc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: explorer 1200
  • City / Town: nsw
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 09:42:07 PM »
cant thank you enough for the trouble of posting them up
shows and explains the differences
 :047: :047: :047:

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 11:00:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZShyster [+]
In my research I may have screwed some part numbers up so please forgive me.

I have just purchased a 2015 Tiger Explorer XC and was trying to research if the stand off one of the lower height models would bolt on.  I am not sure and am looking for advice.

Further research has brought me to the diagrams for the 2016 Tiger Explorer XRX. Where the parts diagram of the side stands T2082133 (Black) and T2081546 (Black Low) appear identical to the diagram for the 2015 Tiger Explorer XC side stand T2082130.  There is a difference in the Side stand pivot pin for the 2016 XRX T2084009 versus the 2015 XC T3330867 the latter being a bolt the former a pin.

I cannot tell if the difference between T2082133 (Black) from the 2016 and T2082130 from the 2015 is just the color.  If it is, these parts may be interchangable.  Can anybody help?

You can see where I got this information at:

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2016-triumph-tiger-explorer-xrx/o/m158811#sch970203 

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2015-triumph-tiger-explorer-xc/o/m156669#sch890426 

Thanks
ZShyster

ZShyster, I can't 100% confirm this, as, as far as I am aware there were no fundamental changes to the actual frame structure from the Gen1 to Gen2 models, so things like stands etc are interchangeable as the holes for the bracket - be it for the Gen-1 or Gen-2 side stand - I believe are in the same place. So so long as you change the stand and the bracket it pivots on, I think you are good.

As for the material its made from - really can't be sure. I've read elsewhere about some of these companies who produce the lowering kits suggesting that stands can be cut and re-welded, but really don't know. I guess if you took a stand to an engineering and fabrication company they would be able to advise.

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XC & Trophy
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »
Hawkeye,

Thanks for the photos and the information.  The Triumph low ride height stand was $80 at bike bandit which is slightly more than 1/2 the cost of one of the adjustables.  I ordered one and will give it a try.  I will report my experience, good or bad, back here with photos.  They said it will take a couple weeks to arrive, stay tuned.

ZShyster

Offline Ghostrider

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer 1200
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 09:30:27 PM »
'ZShyster, saw your March post today. Have you received the low sidestand yet? I'm looking at Soupy's lowering kit for my Explorer, which you can get with an adjustable sidestand. I read a less then positive review of the sidestand and found here that Triumph has a low stand (haven't talked to my dealer about it yet). I wondered if you had received and tried the low stand. My neighbor used Soupy's lowering kit on his Tiger 800 and was able to shim the OEM stand and make it work.
Thanks,
Ghostrider

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 02:52:35 PM »
Ghostrider,

I finally got all of the parts necessary to try the lowride sidestand on my 2015 XC this past week.  Triumph changed the part number on a pin that is used instead of the nut and bolt.  I am going to install them this week and will report back.

ZShyster

Offline Ghostrider

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer 1200
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 01:55:30 AM »
ZShyster,

Thank you for the response and will be looking forward to your thoughts.

Ghostrider
P.S. Like your Wart Hog photo!

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 12:12:53 AM »
I compared the low ride height stand to the standard and there appears to be a full inch difference in height.  Consequently it the low ride height stand is too short for my bike having only lowered it 20mm.  I have a plan to put a 3/8 aluminum foot on the bottom of the low ride stand to increase the surface area of the foot and to make the stand that much longer.  I think this will work out.

However, while waiting to get the time to do this, I took a used Explorer side stand I bought off ebay and trimmed 5/16 of an inch off the bottom.  I used a 12 inch miter saw with a Diablo 96 tooth non-ferrus metal blade D1296L.  I set the saw at about a 40 degree miter and braced the stand on the base of the saw with a couple small boards.  I cut slowly and it worked like a champ.  I am not encouraging any one to try this nor do I claim it is safe.  Can you tell I am a retired attorney?

If you are concerned about how thin the foot on the stand is after cutting, it is still thicker than the stock stand on my Triumph Trophy.

I will try to insert photos of the cut parts.

I installed the cut down stand and it works very well.  My goal is to ultimately install a stand that is 1/2 inch shorter than the standard, but this will do until I can accomplish that.

ZShyster
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 12:14:24 AM by ZShyster »

Recent Topics