Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 Tiger 1200 vs 2018 BMW GS 1200  (Read 9742 times)

Offline marco-polo

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Bethlehem
Re: 2018 Tiger 1200 vs 2018 BMW GS 1200
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 02:56:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by ChrisN [+]
When I ride in the Alps each year I see so many GS's, maybe 25 or more for every Tiger and I really wonder what is the attraction is.
Maybe they find comfort in great numbers  :027:

Well, they're the best-selling model in BMW's lineup - and they've done a brillant thing by having common design cues in every GS (boxer engine, asymmetric headlights, humped and rounded fuel tank, beak) since the R1150GS came out in 1999, and BMW's tend to stay on the road longer than any other marque, so there's a horde of similar looking GS's out there. That's not to say that you can't tell individual years and bikes apart, but the differences are small enough, and they're usually so farkled up by their owners, that you actually have to try.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 04:34:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by loftybob [+]
If you picked your ride on the basis of how much $$$ you will get at the end of your journey, and not for the amount of smiles per km on that journey, are you really riding for the right reasons??
Cost is always a factor -- for me -- especially if I bought the latest model off the showroom floor at MSRP.  But I would not do that, preferring instead to find a left-over previous model or lightly used model at a significant discount. I love my TEX, but I bought my demo unit with the knowledge that the resale value would be poor relative to a GS.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 04:36:26 PM »
Thanks for your comparison report.  :028:
However I'm always baffled as to why so many choose the GS over the Tiger?, although I'm kinda pleased they do.
For me I've always felt a connection to the British marque and enjoy being part of a so called niche market, in the minority so to speak.
When I ride in the Alps each year I see so many GS's, maybe 25 or more for every Tiger and I really wonder what is the attraction is.
  Agree wholeheartedly, I have owned and enjoyed quite a few BMWs and still own a 1984 R100CS, but for a modern bike, the Tiger ticks all of my boxes, including having something a little different.  When I rode with my friend around the continent on our Tiger 1050s in 2016 and '17, can't tell you the number of time people would come over and talk about the bikes or stare as we passed.  I ride every Wednesday with my mates and they all ride GSs except for me on the Tiger and another guy on his Multistrada.  Different is fun.   :031:
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 04:38:48 PM »
In 2013, BMW celebrated shipping their 500,000th GS. And I don't think that sales have slowed any in the past 5 years.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 04:51:52 PM »
 :015:
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
In 2013, BMW celebrated shipping their 500,000th GS. And I don't think that sales have slowed any in the past 5 years.
  Yup, if you're on a GS over there, you're passing yourself every other minute.   :164:
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline Jarse

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: XC12/T120
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 06:25:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by kwacka [+]
This weeks MCN has a three corner test against the XRT, GS TE and KTM Super Adventure. BM came out tops, XRT a close second losing out to off road ability, KTM last but easily the fastest.
Take your pick.....

I’m pretty convinced MCN publishing house is on BMW’s payroll. Bias bullsh#t and egotistical journalists jerking each other off.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2018, 10:40:30 PM »
I ride a lot on Ulysses club rides.  Its a continual source of frustration to me that quite a few of those riders have a GS or GSA, while I'm the only TEx rider.  -I see a few other Triumphs, like Triples, Thruxtons, Bonnies.  I've asked those GS riders whether they considered a TEx or rode one -nup.

We all know what effect a test ride has.  I blame the poor TEx sales on lack of Triumph advertising and inability to easily get a TEx test ride here in Australia, while the local BMW dealer will let a walk-in have a GS test ride at the drop of a hat.  (Let me have one.)

The next Ulysses AGM here is in May.  Should be around 2000 attendees.  There are always test bikes for members to try.  I know there will be GS and GSA bikes there.  I doubt the Tiger 1200 will be.  You can read and watch as many comparison articles & videos as you like, if the bike can't be tried, it won't sell.
I won't buy a bike I can't test ride.  -When I was looking in 2015, couldn't find a Super Tenere to try, so it got crossed off my list.

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 05:07:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
I ride a lot on Ulysses club rides.  Its a continual source of frustration to me that quite a few of those riders have a GS or GSA, while I'm the only TEx rider.  -I see a few other Triumphs, like Triples, Thruxtons, Bonnies.  I've asked those GS riders whether they considered a TEx or rode one -nup.

We all know what effect a test ride has.  I blame the poor TEx sales on lack of Triumph advertising and inability to easily get a TEx test ride here in Australia, while the local BMW dealer will let a walk-in have a GS test ride at the drop of a hat.  (Let me have one.)

The next Ulysses AGM here is in May.  Should be around 2000 attendees.  There are always test bikes for members to try.  I know there will be GS and GSA bikes there.  I doubt the Tiger 1200 will be.  You can read and watch as many comparison articles & videos as you like, if the bike can't be tried, it won't sell.
I won't buy a bike I can't test ride.  -When I was looking in 2015, couldn't find a Super Tenere to try, so it got crossed off my list.
  Where I live most of the guys riding BMW are a certain type. Honestly too stuck up with a real attitude of superiority. They would not ride anything else even if it was better ,they are glued to their image with their beautiful bikes and outfits like they are travelling the world when they are really going to the nearest coffee shop. Similar I guess to die hard Harley riders. Anyway I like riding something different from the crowd and the reason is it is the best bike I have rode and I have tried them all.

Online neilacwilson

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 no3
  • City / Town: North London
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 05:59:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jarse [+]
I’m pretty convinced MCN publishing house is on BMW’s payroll. Biased and egotistical journalists

I understand that Triumph had a major commercial fall out with the publishers of MCN in the past because of perceived unfair reporting. Publishers of MCN now generally fall over themselves to give positive coverage. Follow the money.

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2018, 01:00:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jarse [+]
I’m pretty convinced MCN publishing house is on BMW’s payroll. Bias  and egotistical journalists jerking each other off.

Yeah something fishy is going on for sure. If you watch the review you can see they are really trying hard to make it out to be objectively bad in some way, even though they are actually really impressed it. And the written review pissed me off... The previous two gens have been given 5 stars and for good reason, but they give this gen 4 stars even though it is better than last gen's in nearly every way.

I'm really not surprised though, that Jon Urry is a bit of a tool and a massive GS fanboy. I kind of get the feeling he was given this assignment to purposefully put the Tiger down whilst trying to make it look professional. Your typical Shill.

Recent Topics