Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 Tiger 1200 Observations – Post Them Here!  (Read 3636 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline pcarnut

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 344
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
  • Country: US
Re: 2018 Tiger 1200 Observations – Post Them Here!
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2018, 02:45:39 PM »
^^Paramenace. thanks.  I'll pay more attention to the revs in the first 3 gears.  I was expecting a real racing style blip, perhaps it's more subtle.

About the cornering lights, can't really see any difference on corners at night, at least in residential areas, perhaps only in rural, unlit roads?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:50:05 PM by pcarnut »
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Online CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3182
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: 2018 Tiger 1200 Observations – Post Them Here!
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2018, 04:14:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
When I disconnected the battery to install some leads, after hooking it back up again, the dashed showed a message saying "Service Due Today", yet it had only about 60 miles, so shouldn't shown that message for another 440 miles.  Turns out you need to reset both the time and date, if you don't, it appears to default to this message.  Once I reset the time, date and year, it reverted to correct schedule.
Another reason for me to keep my gen1 TEX. The 'old' maintenance reminder is based purely on elapsed mileage since the last reset. Apparently, the new one will be nagging at you, regardless of how many (or few) miles you have ridden between dealer determined intervals.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Paramenace

  • Explorer Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 10
  • Bike: TEx 1200
  • City / Town: W Sussex
  • Country: UK
Re: 2018 Tiger 1200 Observations – Post Them Here!
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2018, 06:00:53 PM »
As for the corner lights I’ve only (just) noticed them on a dark unlite road, I haven’t noticed any great illumination of the road more a subtle one just underneath the normal light spread of the dipped beam.

The down shift blip is a subtle one.

Offline pcarnut

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 344
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
  • Country: US
Re: 2018 Tiger 1200 Observations – Post Them Here!
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2018, 09:53:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paramenace [+]
As for the corner lights I’ve only (just) noticed them on a dark unlite road, I haven’t noticed any great illumination of the road more a subtle one just underneath the normal light spread of the dipped beam.

The down shift blip is a subtle one.
Okay, thx!
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline pcarnut

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 344
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
  • Country: US
Re: 2018 Tiger 1200 Observations – Post Them Here!
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2018, 06:16:39 AM »
More questions, but for US/Canadian versions with the master on/off switch.

In the owner's manual, page 94, on the right hand switch diagram, number 6, is indicated as the power on/off position.  However, there is a dire warning on page 141 about electrical damage if the master is left on.  Not sure of the implications of using the handlebar switch to power things and just leaving the master on, which is what I've been doing for the past 5 days of ownership with no apparent issue (and would prefer to do rather than having to play with two different switches to turn on the bike.

And then, along the same vein, but for all versions, anyone know if we have to wait for the dash to cycle thru it's start-up screen before pushing engaging the starter?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:20:10 AM by pcarnut »
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline XCaTel

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 185
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • Country: Ireland
Re: 2018 Tiger 1200 Observations – Post Them Here!
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2018, 07:22:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]

And then, along the same vein, but for all versions, anyone know if we have to wait for the dash to cycle thru it's start-up screen before pushing engaging the starter?

I have found the starter has no effect at all until the dash is fully up. Did you not just try it for yourself?

Offline vsteel

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 153
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
  • Country: USA
Re: 2018 Tiger 1200 Observations – Post Them Here!
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2018, 12:46:27 PM »
You can just hold the starter down and it will wait for the dash cycle and then it will start when it is ready.

You can treat the master switch as the on/off and just use the red button as a starter/emergency off if you so desire.   When you go to shut off the bike just shut down the master.


Offline pcarnut

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 344
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
  • Country: US
Re: 2018 Tiger 1200 Observations – Post Them Here!
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2018, 02:36:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
You can just hold the starter down and it will wait for the dash cycle and then it will start when it is ready.

You can treat the master switch as the on/off and just use the red button as a starter/emergency off if you so desire.   When you go to shut off the bike just shut down the master.


Thanks.  My preference would be to just leave the master on and use the handlebar switch to power things off and on.  Don't feel like messing with two different switches just to turn on the bike.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline pcarnut

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 344
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
  • Country: US
Re: 2018 Tiger 1200 Observations – Post Them Here!
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2018, 03:41:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I have found the starter has no effect at all until the dash is fully up. Did you not just try it for yourself?
  Sorry, I probably wasn't being clear with my question.  What I was getting at was, is it better(i.e. safer for the electronics) to let the dash power up before imposing the starting load.  On other bikes I've had with electronic dashes, the wisdom has been to not spike the system while it is booting up.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Online CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3182
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: 2018 Tiger 1200 Observations – Post Them Here!
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2018, 04:27:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
  Sorry, I probably wasn't being clear with my question.  What I was getting at was, is it better(i.e. safer for the electronics) to let the dash power up before imposing the starting load.  On other bikes I've had with electronic dashes, the wisdom has been to not spike the system while it is booting up.
From the gen1 circuit diagram, the starter motor is not activated by the ECU until the ECU has finished it security authorization, fuel pressurization, etc. It is not hardwired to the battery.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

 


Recent Topics

nonskid