Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brake discs and pads  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Robin

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
Re: Brake discs and pads
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 09:40:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by DAZBO [+]
Do you know which ferodo pads you have ? ....I put them on a fireblade and was very happy ....the sintergrip ones I was looking at are for stainless steel, so I'd use a different compound from ferodo happily ...

Photos attached of the Ferodo packaging. Made in Italy. no reference numbers unfortunately. I realise that their going to wear my disc's at a much higher rate but I'd rather have the stopping power when fully loaded.
Older than the internet.

Offline DAZBO

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer 2012
  • City / Town: Bridgend
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »
Thanks for the info mark,  I went for ferodo and they're fine,  brake pad choice is often a good talking point and everyone has they're favourite,  I've used goldfren and found them ok,  but I've also used Armstrong and binned them after the first 200 miles...... Brake-fade almost instantly... Truly awful.... :172:

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »
Another one for EBC HH, last much longer than the OEM Triumph pads, work better, don't wear the discs any more (ok, I only tested this theory for 40,000 miles on the T800) and seem to me at least to really suit the braking and handling of Triumph adventure bikes  :028:

Oh, and they're a good wedge cheaper than OEM pads  :001:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 01:44:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by DAZBO [+]
Thanks for the info mark,  I went for ferodo and they're fine,  brake pad choice is often a good talking point and everyone has they're favourite,  I've used goldfren and found them ok,  but I've also used Armstrong and binned them after the first 200 miles...... Brake-fade almost instantly... Truly awful.... :172:

I used the GoldFren on a trip to Laos and Thailand. They lasted around 11,000 klms, 2 up and full loaded in some very harsh braking conditions. I would use them again.

Offline DAZBO

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 06:43:27 AM »
Well.... Rather disappointed after all.... 4 weeks later and about 800 miles... Rear ferodo pads down to metal!!!! ...... Didn't even think of checking them this early!!! .... Caliper sliding well,  pistons free moving so no drag / binding issues.... Absolutely disgraceful..... Front pads still like new,  all brakes cleaned and replaced at the same time..... Rear pads were free when you buy a set of fronts.....I acknowledge I use the rear more than the front brakes... But I also ride using engine braking for casual speed control.....will be taking this up with m + p and ferodo....disc scored a bit... But I stopped using the rear brake as soon as I felt it grind...... Not a happy bunny...

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »
I put EBC HH in the front and rear over a week ago. So far nothing to report. Bike still parked where it was without turning a wheel. It's just been too wet or snowing since I did them. Getting frustrated now! As soon as I get going, I'll post thoughts.

Offline DAZBO

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »
Just ordered EBC hh...... I know they're a safe bet.... Will monitor the ferodo fronts very carefully....   I can only assume there was a problem with the compound of the rears? ...

Offline cheesecutter

• Explorer Member
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 09:46:12 PM »
I had a set of Ferodo rear pads that were shot after 300 miles. Down to the metal, bike had just had 20k service so calipers were in good order. MAybe they had a bad batch, but I won't be using their pads again

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 06:25:56 PM »
Had a set of HH but they were a  to fit for some reason - anyway have gone the whole hog this time and had the caliper fully serviced and ordered new standard EBC pads for the rear - generally found the HH to lock up the rear pretty quickly - disc is a little blued but should be ok   
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Recent Topics