Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 1200 xrt starting issue  (Read 3779 times)

Offline stealingbacktime

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XRx Cobalt blue
  • City / Town: Holmefirth
Re: 2018 1200 xrt starting issue
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 07:45:37 PM »
Rowey68.

The same thing happened to me last night for the 1st time ..I've had my Tiger 15 days .

I ended up ringing Triumph Assist...The RAC in other words.

Patrol man turned up ....checked the battery terminals -all tight-tried his 'power boost box thingy ' - no effect-checked if battery was ok -which is was,checked all the fuses-which were all good.
Now for some reason he wanted to move my bike,I explained that the steering lock was on ,he said that's fine i just want to move the bike even just a few inches....which he did...he also moved the handle bars just a fraction....and yep Lo and behold my tiger started no problem.

The patrol guy thinks that i had the handle bars on too much lock i.e you couldn't move then any further, and that was not allowing the pin to dis-engage.

I did take a video which i sent to the dealership(if i can put it on here i will )

Now as it happens my Tiger went in for its 5oo miles service. Obviously  told them what happened.
Bike checked out fine -no error codes etc. The service guys came to the same conclusion as the RAC patrol man (I didn't tell the service dept. the RAC guys theory )
It will be interesting to hear other dealships theories.....

:018:

update - I have tried to attach -but i keep getting an error msg - File too big ..i'll work on it ......
3 of the 4 voices keep telling me to go to sleep...the 4th voice wants to know if penguins have knees....

Offline Rowey68

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 09:22:17 PM »
I’m totally convinced my issue is with the steering lock mechanism, it’s funny how I’m now having to wiggle the handlebar to free the lock similar to what i always had to do with a key ignition, I guess that’s progress for you

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Athlone
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 10:12:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
On the main Forum page, one of the discussion boards is ("How to" technicle articles) board. There are a lot of good ideas on how to do things on that board. :028:
Cheers  :031:

Online Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Leicester
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 02:08:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rowey68 [+]
I’m totally convinced my issue is with the steering lock mechanism, it’s funny how I’m now having to wiggle the handlebar to free the lock similar to what i always had to do with a key ignition, I guess that’s progress for you

I'm pretty sure mine did it without the steering lock being on as well.   :084:

When I took mine in for it's 1st service after mentioning the beeping and lack of starting the dealer said they had reprogrammed the key and 600 miles later it's still behaving it self.   Fingers crossed.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2018, 08:16:41 PM »
You can all relax, I got the 2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 "Friday afternoon" bike!  :232:  450km spin in the gorgeous sun today as Ireland basks in a little two day sunny spurt. My bike failed to start after stopping to refuel twice and once more parked up at the V (see pic). This is not the starting issue I had before, suspected to be the steering lock thing where the dash comes up and then shuts down, that seems to of disappeared by itself on my bike?

This time my dash comes up as normal and when I go for the starter just nothing, dash stays up, just no start, no reaction to the starter switch at all. I re-seated all fuses/relays I could see under the seat, jiggled and pulled all wires, nothing. 30 minutes later about to call breakdown and one last try and it works? Huh, OK? That was yesterday, today at the next fuel stop, exactly the same issues, all electrics up but no start, exactly the same remedy, yank and pull at any fuses/relays, not really sure what happened for it to start but it eventually did after another 30 minute stop in a petrol station. I had to push the bike away from the pumps again. Before you ask, yes my remote keyfob was activated.

Third time it happened, again today, after parking up for a brew it wouldn't start, same symptoms. So I pushed this pile of crap of the freakin cliff face! Oh err, did I say that out loud? No, I meant to say I calmly tried again and again for another 20 minutes and then noticed a warning message come up on the dash, it was something like "right rear indicator malfunction" (or something like that) and I noticed the right rear indicator didn't flash on or off with the setting on or off of the TRIUMPH ALARM. I took the rear seat off, jiggled the cables as much as I could near the alarm, they are a little bit buried but what the hell. Bingo, indicator working again, bike started!  :046: I don't really know if this is alarm related or not to be honest, I just know the new bike experience wore off more quickly on this bike than any other I have owned. Just to cap it off the red reflector on the Triumph pannier mount dropped off on the motorway on the way home after shaking itself loose, the other one was hanging on loosely by one of the two mounts, just waiting to fall off, they are really poorly attached.

Still, I got home after having had 11 hours out on the bike in gorgeous weather, drinking coffee off the stove with a riding buddy in beautiful surroundings AND my missus is on nights so I get to watch any channel I like on the telly all evening too, RESULT!

Offline Gazza13

• Explorer Member
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2018, 10:57:32 AM »
Couple of points.

My Mazda 6 Sport has keyless ignition and sometimes it locks the steering wheel so tight it won't start unless
I physically turn the wheel. Maybe something similar is happening on the new Tiger.

Also I had the Triumph Datatool alarm on my Tiger 1050 and apart from it being a pain in the A--E automatically
re-arming itself, I'm convinced it knackered at least two batteries despite the bike always being on a charger at home.
I have a 5 year old Gen 1 Tex and no alarm and am still on original battery with no problems.

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2018, 05:48:02 PM »
Hi XCaTel

Sorry to hear of your continuing troubles. Having read horror stories about alarms, I decided when I bought my Tiger 800 that I wouldn't put an alarm, and I stuck with that decision for the 1200. It's probably no consolation but my XRT has been perfect starting (and I hope I haven't just jinxed it). If the steering lock is on, I don't use the quick start method.

Cheers
guiri

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »
A little OT, but after a couple of guys tried to heist my bike, I visited my local Harley dealership to inquire about bike alarms. The parts guy said, "Sure. We have two. Did you want the 12 gauge or the Doberman"?   :008:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2018, 08:31:12 AM »
Oh the joy of the infamous Triumph Alarm!
Had one on my first Triumph ('97 Steamer). Disconnected it almost right away and never looked back.
Then I had different alarms on my next tigers (1050, '12 and now '14). One did save my 1050 from stoopid thieves (they broke the steering lock, then flew away when the alarm rang) and I never had even the slightest of glitches, be it starting the bike or having the battery always full up.

After more than 20 years, I'm flabbergasted that Triumph is still unable to realize their partner is pure and simple crap.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2018, 04:00:12 PM »
Happened again after a wash (no pressure washer) so that’s four times this bike has failed to start with a full dash up. So that is three times in the dry and once wet. Next day with the bike dry it starts, but with a TSAS fault up. This is the most unreliable bike I have ever owned!

Recent Topics

nonskid