Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Aftermarket tyre pressure monitor  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Waldorf

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: ExplorerXC
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: Aftermarket tyre pressure monitor
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 12:47:24 AM »
Anyone gone down this path

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2018, 02:27:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by gufazi [+]
Alright, I'm taking mine off.  17 XCX - tubeless spoke wheels with rubber stems

I wonder if a strategically placed rubber band or zip-tie could cold keep them upright without stressing the stem?
If I recall correctly, Biff Wellington (username on this forum) had two OEM rubber valve stems fail on his XC.  He ended up sourcing a taller steel replacement if you can find his posts. I will take a look.

Ahh, here it is...

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,15465.0.html
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:29:49 AM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline gufazi

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 XCx
  • City / Town: Springfield, VA
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2018, 11:39:22 AM »
Thanks!  I'm going to look into replacing with metal or just get the dealer to install the OEM TPMS now that XCs have tubeless tires.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2018, 06:26:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
Looks like NH's is this one:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAREUD-Motorcycle-Bike-TPMS-Tire-Tyre-Temp-Pressure-Monitoring-System-2-Sensor/263484223503?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20151029142714%26meid%3D1f75aecda8ad4c40983aaeadc262a6a4%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D332393904209%26itm%3D263484223503&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Hope its OK.  Have ordered one.  I'm used to charging up my Sena headsets and CB interface, so another gadget to charge occasionally isn't an issue.
-And I have USB power from my GPS if I need it while riding.
OK, I have fitted the above TPMS unit.  First ride with it today, on a club ride through the hills.  Luverly sunny Autumn day.
It works.  Quite happy with it.  Surprised to see the back tyre pressure go up 6psi from cold, even on a cool day (18C).
I can see the tyre pressures clear enough, even in full sun, but not the temperatures -too small for me to see while riding.  Doesn't matter.
The LCD display is mounted on the left side of the lower screen bar (gen1).  The clutch hose etc just miss it when the handlebars are turned.  Good spot.

Here's a funny thing though... I wear clip-on polaroid sunnies.  The TPMS display is almost blanked out with the glasses horizontal (ie normal attitude).  However, my helmet face-shield (Nolan) restores visibility of the display.  Must muck up the polarising of the sunnies somehow.
End result is quite satisfactory with the face-shield down.

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 07:27:09 PM »
Yes I was surprised at the psi increase myself. Even in the cold winter conditions my front goes up by 3psi and my rear by 5psi.

I like where I have it mounted at the moment as it almost in line of sight but might also try a lower point to see if it makes a difference. Strangely I can see it better when the suns on the display.   :187
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2018, 09:02:04 AM »
Received mine yesterday night and installed it this morning!

I must say I'm impressed by the whole package value. The temp is hardly readable (with the sun visor of my Schuberth), but the pressures are crystal clear.

The precision is a bit rough though (between 0.1 and 0.2 bar too optimistic). But once you know it, you just do the math and it works really well!

Thanks guys for this advice (I still can't believe the price of this bargain of a gizmo!).

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2018, 09:09:14 AM »
The LCD display is mounted on the left side of the lower screen bar (gen1).
How did you do? The provided clamp is too wide for that small bar...

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2018, 05:30:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
How did you do? The provided clamp is too wide for that small bar...
Sorry Nik, it's mounted on the bigger bar which runs across the front horizontally, holding up the instrument panel.
Just make sure all the supplied rubber 'cushion' strip is neatly wrapped around the bar.  Bit of a fiddle, but secure once done.

Yes, good value bit of kit.
I've had up to 7psi increases in pressure on rides.  Combination of heat and speed/twisties seems to do it.  Back tyre gets hotter than the front.
I can just read temperatures while riding if full sun is on the display, but difficult.  (Old eyes don't help.)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2018, 08:43:48 AM »
Sorry Nik, it's mounted on the bigger bar which runs across the front horizontally, holding up the instrument panel.
Just make sure all the supplied rubber 'cushion' strip is neatly wrapped around the bar.  Bit of a fiddle, but secure once done.
That's what I tried, but it seemed too loose when tightened.
Could try some more rubber cushion...

Online Gramps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '13 GraphiteTEX
  • City / Town: St. Paul, MN
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Waldorf [+]
Anyone gone down this path

Those are a great solution for not having to remove the sensor to add or remove air. Have you taken any measurements to see if they would fit the TEX rim? Here's what they say about them at Cyclemax:

"This is a pair of T-Valve stems. These chrome plated valve stems are designed for Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems with external sensors. These new patented T-Valves are designed to be an option to replace existing rubber or metal valve stems. Now anyone can install their external TPMS wheel sensor in a semi permanent application and add or remove air without having to remove the sensor. This is a big plus in those hard to reach locations and adds extended life to sensor seals. The T-Valve can also accommodate the sensor locking system for added security if needed while still offering access for tire inflation without removing the lock or sensor. This labor saving device also adds an attractive appearance to any wheel with its chrome finish and engineered valve caps. This will fit both the front and rear wheels of all Goldwing GL1800's and F6B's. It will also fit the rear of the GL1500's but, not the front.  CM1044

Note: For those of you trying to fit these on a bike other than the GL1800, here are some dimensions. The diameter of the threaded portion of the stem that would fit through the hole in the wheel is .400" or 10mm. So, the hole in your wheel will need to be slightly larger than that. The height of the stem from the rubber washer that would be against the wheel to the top of the chrome cap is 1.400". You will need to make sure you have enough clearance on your wheel for this plus any sensor that you may be installing on the top of it."
Marc

Recent Topics

nonskid