Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tried a KTM 1090 Adventure today..  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Rodders

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Banbury
Tried a KTM 1090 Adventure today..
« on: March 10, 2018, 06:31:51 PM »
It's a nice bike, but not as good as my 2012 Tex!

It was reasonably comfortable, the ride seemed good, the roads were too wet to tell if the handling was as good as people say.  The weather protection seemed reasonable and it certainly could pick up its skirts and shift; I was surprised how quickly the motor would increase revs.  There was a discernible difference between 'rain' and 'street' modes, which makes that seem more than a gimmick.  It sounded better than I expected, but not as good as a triple.  It wasn't as tractable or as smooth as the Tex, but that is probably the nature of a V twin.  The fuelling seemed to be absolutely fine.

The gearbox was OK, but a total bitch to get into neutral at a standstill, you could ride around that by selecting neutral before coming to a halt, but you shouldn't have to do that.  I don't know whether that would improve with miles (the demo bike had done less than a hundred) or get worse.

So, whilst on paper it fulfils my requirements in so far as power, comfort and reduced weight are concerned I don't think that it is worth part exchanging my Tex for it..

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
Re: Tried a KTM 1090 Adventure today..
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 11:22:27 PM »
I really fancied a KTM 1190, my mate bought one a few months before I changed bikes. I narrowed it down to a choice between the Tex and KTM. I test rode the Tex and loved it instantly, didn't want to hand the keys back. I test rode the KTM and thought... hmm... I decided on a second test ride of each and took the Tex first. I never did have a second test ride on the KTM.  :002:

I preferred the lighter weight but it was a bit tall and I much preferred the triple engine. My mate had a tiger 1050 before the KTM, he loves the KTM but wishes it had a Triumph triple engine.  :001:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline tailscookie

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: triumph rocket 111
  • City / Town: birmingham
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 03:59:16 PM »
rode the 2 .the ktm,s is a lot lot better all round.

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2014 TEX XC
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »
Every single Ride Report on ADV - if it has a KTM in it then there is a few scenes where you see the entire engine on the floor - something broke somewhere. That's one finicky engine if you ask me. I am sure it's worth the money and is a great beast - but after following KTM people around for a year or so I lost my faith in its dependability. Same for the boxer panzer. I have enough techie friends who work the scene tell me "stay away from the boxer, stick with the 800/1000 twin engine" and that killed the panzer-fetish in me. Same happened with beemer cars, finicky. My previous TEX sounded like a box of nails when it first started when it was cold but the damn thing didn't complain even once after I dropped it god knows how many times in trails; rode it 750+ miles for 11 hours without a break whilst loaded up like a gypsy bus in rain and mud and highway with right fork busted and leaking oil all the way from Quebec down to Rhode Island...

I trust TEX with my life every time I get on it. I have a hard time feeling the same with the KTM.
 :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Bikerbuk

• Explorer Master
  • Musical Prostitute - You pay, I play!
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Lanarkshire Scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »
I know the KTM is probably a superb machine, don't doubt it for a minute,  but I'm sorry, I just don't like the look of it and wouldn't even consider one for that reason.    I'm sure i'm in the minority but KTM's just don't float my boat.   Each to their own as they say but I'm still on a launch edition Explorer and am beginning to get that itch for a change.   So later this year it will be time for a test ride of several bikes which have caught my eye.   KTM not included.
There comes a time in everyone's life when it pays to:   Never pass a toilet, never waste a hardon and never trust a fart!

Online kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »
I know I'm getting a bit monotonous on this, but...
When I was looking for TEx equivalents to try (to be fair, before I laid down my money on a TEx), I didn't even look at a KTM.
No shaft drive.

Offline Rodders

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
I don't do enough miles for the shaft drive versus chain drive to be a deal maker.  I'm going to test a Tiger 800 XRT and a Honda Africa Twin (hopefully DCT) this weekend, providing the snow stays away.  Unless one of those REALLY floats my boat I'll stick with the Tex even though the 20000 service is looming.

Offline lmartin780

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer
  • City / Town: Beaumont, Ca.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 12:28:52 AM »
Rodders,

I gave the African Twin a look, but no cruise.... out here in the western US that's a deal breaker for me.

Larry

Offline pmckinnon

• Explorer Master
  • High Country ride
  • Bike: EXP 2012 Blue
  • City / Town: Sunbury
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 10:37:12 AM »
Hi Rodders be careful of the DCT version of the Honda, its a great bike apart from that version due to the computer wanting to do what it wants.
Also the Ktm 1090 is a great bike but definitely dirt orientated and if you want cruise control you need the 1290 which is on the wish list but the 21" version is even tall for me at 6.3
Also The Ktm's have had a lot of electronic problems which don't generally stop the bike but are a pain to keep going back to the dealer to get sorted
Good Luck Pete

Offline Rodders

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 09:51:48 PM »
Well, today I tried a couple more bikes:

Tiger 800 XRT: Feels so much lighter than the Tex (because it is, I guess) and a little smaller, but still just as comfortable.  The screen and extensions seem to provide more weather protection than the stock screen on the Tex.  Obviously doesn't have the power or torque of the Tex either, but it's quick enough and sounds great with the Arrow can.  The new instruments are very clear , the gearbox is just beautiful.  I can't say that I noticed the engine spinning up any quicker than the old 800.  The heated seat was as welcome as the heated grips as I rode through today's snow showers.  It's very tempting..

Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT:  I'm 5' 10 " and was on tip toes, even with the seat on its lower setting.  The engine sounded great and I only grabbed for a non-existent clutch lever when coming to the first T junction.  Four main auto gearbox modes: Drive and Sport 1,2 & 3.  Drive was fine for lazy touring, only had time to try sport 2 of the other settings, which was great for a more spirited ride on a bendy country road, but a bit jerky for low speed town work.  In any mode a big handful of throttle will cause it to downshift 1 or 2 gears and then accelerate like a scalded cat!  Early incarnations of DCT have had some detractors in the past, but it certainly seems like a mature technology now and gear changes were smoother than I could have made them.  My only concern would be about long-term reliability of a complex piece of equipment.  Whilst not as light as the Tiger it certainly felt lighter than the Tex and somewhat easier to manhandle around.  The Honda heated grips (a £350 (!!) extra on the standard Africa Twin) were pathetic, even on highest of 5 settings.

So, now I have to decide whether either of them is worth several thousand pounds more than my 2012 Explorer..
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:54:27 PM by Rodders »

Recent Topics

nonskid