Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 1200 Metzeler Tourance Next?  (Read 11576 times)

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Leicester
Tiger 1200 Metzeler Tourance Next?
« on: March 13, 2018, 04:36:36 AM »
Morning Folks

How are you Tiger 1200 owners finding the Metzeler Tourance Next tyres that have come with the bike?

They were on my 800 from new and I hated them.  :013:  :172: They used to tram-line horrendously, lose the front in wet weather and squared off way to quick.  :230: 

Offline Cragman7

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC 2014
  • City / Town: Wellingborough
Re: Tiger 1200 Metzeler Tourance Next?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 06:17:37 AM »
Hi,

I don't like them at all. I don't go off road so can't comment there but on the road they are poor. I'm just having Michelin Road 5 Trail fitted as I loved the PR4's I had on my previous bike.
Lots of miles planned for May and June so I'm hoping it's a good move.

Pete

Offline pug27

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Thirsk
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:03:17 AM »
I really don't like them. I agree they tramline and are squared off after 3.5k, however, during the winter I stick to motorways were possible so I put the squaring down to that but on other bikes this didn't seem to happen as quick (previous bike was a DL1000 with Bridgestone A40 and I loved them)
I've kept mine on over the winter as I don't like wasting rubber so as soon as the warm weather gets here I'm changing them!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:08:34 AM by pug27 »

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Leicester
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:55:09 PM »
My fears are confirmed, but naturally i'm a tight arse so won't be changing them until i have had some ware out of them.   :013:

Offline Joachim

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tirger Explorer
  • City / Town: Oslo
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »
Well, I prefer them. Excellent grip when wet, long lasting, safe and and very prdictable in curves when driving hard. The German magazine Motorrad has chosen these tires as the best in several comparisons. I have during my 92 000 km with a 2012 Explorer mainly used these, every now and then I have tried others, but I always go back to Metzeler.

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 04:35:44 PM »
Technically speaking, I don't have a Tiger 1200, I have the Explorer Gen I.  I have the Tourance NeXT on the bike right now, and I don't like them as well as the Bridgestone A40s they replaced.  I will replace them with 'stones again (high likelihood) or something else when they are done in a couple of months. 
Dick63

Offline Joachim

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tirger Explorer
  • City / Town: Oslo
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 04:46:10 PM »
I think most modern tires from the big manufacturers are good. There may be small difference in how they react, and at tyre which is very good on one bike may not be the same on another model. In the end, it's personal taste. Some like this, others like that. "The best tyre" does propably not excist, in my opinion.

Offline McCrae72

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger explorer XRX
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 08:23:11 PM »
I’ve got them on my 2017 gen 2, can’t say outright that I don’t like them as they haven’t done anything wrong.....yet!
But they do seem very vague, no real feed back as to how much grip you have especially from the front.
I have invoked the TC a few times with a good handful on the way out of damp corners.

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 11:49:58 PM »
Yeah, that is my issue too.  There just doesn't seem to be a lot of feedback from these tires, and I think it gets worse as they get miles.  I don't have confidence, and as I build mileage with them, there is no real familiarity.

And they are noisy as all get out.  Worse set I have had on the bike.

But it appears others do like them, and on prior bikes, I liked Metzelers so well, I wouldn't use anything else.

I guess that is why there are so many tire manufacturers in the world. 
Dick63

Offline Acko

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XRX
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 03:45:40 AM »
These Metzeler Tourance Next tyres came stock on my Gen 2 XRX and after riding through some shocking conditions I cant really fault them apart from a bit of road noise. I pushed them pretty hard through a lot of tight twisties with no issues in the dry. Riding to the conditions in wet they were fine as well. Didn't experience any tramlining at all. This may all change as the tyres wear but so far I'm fairly impressed with them.

Recent Topics

nonskid