Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 1200 Metzeler Tourance Next?  (Read 11836 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Tiger 1200 Metzeler Tourance Next?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 01:03:37 PM »
I have these on my 2018 XCa and think they are great in the wet and dry with good feedback to the bars, no complaints there. I just can't stand the constant drone of the front, started around 400-500km I think, just crept up on me getting progressively worse and has never gone away. I call it the "roar" of the Tiger. I'm loathed to swap out for fear it’s just me and my weight (125kg kitted out) and other tyres will do the same. I picked up on a comment a GS owner posted on YouTube about his GS doing the same to him and he couldn't wait to get rid of it but in his case, it was Michelin Anakee 3 tyres making the drone and then Michelin Pilot Road Trial which he swapped to were a bit better but not much. It seems you can find a positive and negative reviews on absolutely every tyre on the market. Are there any 125kg plus guys out there with a front tyre which has a regular noise level, I'm not expecting a silent run, just something easier on the ear (I do wear ear plugs)?

Offline glenn389

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Rawdon
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 01:22:12 PM »
I have same bike, same tyres & the same noise. Just shy of 1000 miles on the clock & ride mainly with a pillion passenger. No other complaints about the tyres, but I am keeping a close eye on the front with regards to problems that other riders have had.

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 01:59:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I have these on my 2018 XCa and think they are great in the wet and dry with good feedback to the bars, no complaints there. I just can't stand the constant drone of the front, started around 400-500km I think, just crept up on me getting progressively worse and has never gone away. I call it the "roar" of the Tiger. I'm loathed to swap out for fear it’s just me and my weight (125kg kitted out) and other tyres will do the same. I picked up on a comment a GS owner posted on YouTube about his GS doing the same to him and he couldn't wait to get rid of it but in his case, it was Michelin Anakee 3 tyres making the drone and then Michelin Pilot Road Trial which he swapped to were a bit better but not much. It seems you can find a positive and negative reviews on absolutely every tyre on the market. Are there any 125kg plus guys out there with a front tyre which has a regular noise level, I'm not expecting a silent run, just something easier on the ear (I do wear ear plugs)?

The chunkier the tread the more noise they will generate. If you want a tyre with even the slightest off-road capability its going to drone or rumble on road - and true off road tyres will be even worse. And road surface contributes to the noise as well. You just have to find a tyre that suits you, which isn't easy unless you are rich enough and/or patient enough to experiment with dozens of different tyres. I know I can't get silent tyres (even racing slicks make some noise!) so accept a compromise of grip & mileage. Noise is such a low priority for me barely comes into my equation.

Offline Tigerman416

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: XRX
  • City / Town: Hawes
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »
added grip on Skye last year   :087:  Tourance Next did 6000 miles then started to break up and front became triangular similar to others have said in other posts. I replaced with Anakee 3, I am over 125kg without kit  :005: and ride 2 up.

"‘Try a GS’, said the sales guy. ‘Feck off, I’m not that old and sad’ was my reply." (my Favorite quote from Biker & Bike)

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 07:51:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pailton [+]
Morning Folks

How are you Tiger 1200 owners finding the Metzeler Tourance Next tyres that have come with the bike?

They were on my 800 from new and I hated them.  :013:  :172: They used to tram-line horrendously, lose the front in wet weather and squared off way to quick.  :230:

For the record: I hate those tyres. They have put my life in danger more than once. My first act after I get the TEX is to replace them with Michelin Anakee IIs - like, turn the corner and replace them - or at least order them and replace them within the next few days. I'd refuse to ride a bike with Tourance tyres nowadays.
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 05:42:07 AM »
I was not a fan of Metzeler tires in the past and I always saw a good improvement with replacements of a different brand.   I must say though, the Tourance Next that are on the new Tiger 1200 are making me a fan.   I might fit these back on depending on the mileage I can get out of this first set.  I do like these tires.   

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 06:09:48 PM »
I don't want to start another thread, so this seems appropriate as it's specific to the tyre and my bike - Metzeler Tourance Next on a Tiger 1200 (XRT in my case).

When I got the bike from the dealer, the tyre pressures were set at 36/42 (despite what the manual says) and after a recent front puncture repair the garage set the pressure at 36.

I rode the first thousand odd miles on the higher pressures, albeit in winter conditions in the UK, and have been happy with the grip especially considering the road conditions (but then I'm not knee down either).

After reading another thread on pressures though, I dropped my tyre pressures to what the manual says (32/39) and went for a brisk ride with lots of overtakes and corners (but not sustained high speed). When I got back the tyre wear was unusual, with my "chicken strips" then a feathered area then a smooth central section. And this makes me thing I might end up with the unusual wear others have described.

I did like the grip at 32/39 though, but then conditions had warmed up considerably (it was a 25C day in the UK, not had one of those recently).

As an aside, I've got TPMS and there were no complaints from it running at 32/39.

Cheers
guiri

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 06:11:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
I must say though, the Tourance Next that are on the new Tiger 1200 are making me a fan.

Hi vsteel

Can I ask what tyre pressures you are running at?

Thanks
guiri

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 04:37:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by guiri [+]
Hi vsteel

Can I ask what tyre pressures you are running at?

Thanks
guiri

I have been running 36 psi in the front and 39 psi in the rear.   So far so good.  I started with 41 in both as that is what is on the side of the tire but it handled a little funny, almost felt like when an old tire gets squared off and it doesn't want to run until it gets to the point it falls into the turn.  When going to the pressure in the manual it handled better I thought. 

I am 260lbs no passenger and no extra gear.  I ride pretty light on the right wrist, lots of highway from 50mph to some stretches at 80mph, so far 1650 miles on the bike and the tires look great.   

Offline Tuggy

• Explorer Member
  • Old Seadog, learning new tricks.
  • Bike: XRT
  • City / Town: Fife
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »
My XRT was set at 36/42 when I got her. She’s spent the winter in hibernation.

Just been for a 1,000 mile ride around Fort William & Skye. Tyres felt too hard at the start so re-set them to 32/39 as per the manual. At one point the rear had got to 48 before resetting. Certainly helped over the gnarly back roads.

As the pressures rise when riding I wondered if 36/42 in the manual pictures are roughly what you might see on the clocks after prolonged riding as my pressures rose to 33/43 having reset them. Increasing to 33/44 on the motorway home. Air temps were pretty low too.

BSA, Z400, Z650, FJR, CRF1000L, XRT

Recent Topics