Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 1200 Metzeler Tourance Next?  (Read 10824 times)

salisburytiger and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Tiger 1200 Metzeler Tourance Next?
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 07:15:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tuggy [+]
My XRT was set at 36/42 when I got her. She’s spent the winter in hibernation.

Just been for a 1,000 mile ride around Fort William & Skye. Tyres felt too hard at the start so re-set them to 32/39 as per the manual. At one point the rear had got to 48 before resetting. Certainly helped over the gnarly back roads.

As the pressures rise when riding I wondered if 36/42 in the manual pictures are roughly what you might see on the clocks after prolonged riding as my pressures rose to 33/43 having reset them. Increasing to 33/44 on the motorway home. Air temps were pretty low too.
The softer the tire, the larger the contact patch, but it also allows more flex in the tire casing which raises the temperature. To soft = too much temperature/pressure ridse.

As an old truck driver I knew the interesting paradox of the exploding flat tire. When a truck tire gets a nail in it, the pressure gradually decreases, and the tire's temperature begins to increase as the casing flexes. At some point, the temperature gain will acceleration, and the tire pressure loss will reverse as the temperature climbs. If you keep driving the pressure goes critical and the tire explodes. That is why you see big chunks of truck tire fragments on the road.

BTW, if you ever see a truck with a smoking tire at highway speeds, do not ride beside it. I have seen cases where the inside tire explodes and blows the outside tire (and sometimes the wheel) off with it. You don't want to be beside the truck on your bike when that happens.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 08:49:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
The softer the tire, the larger the contact patch, but it also allows more flex in the tire casing which raises the temperature. To soft = too much temperature/pressure ridse.

As an old truck driver I knew the interesting paradox of the exploding flat tire. When a truck tire gets a nail in it, the pressure gradually decreases, and the tire's temperature begins to increase as the casing flexes. At some point, the temperature gain will acceleration, and the tire pressure loss will reverse as the temperature climbs. If you keep driving the pressure goes critical and the tire explodes. That is why you see big chunks of truck tire fragments on the road.

BTW, if you ever see a truck with a smoking tire at highway speeds, do not ride beside it. I have seen cases where the inside tire explodes and blows the outside tire (and sometimes the wheel) off with it. You don't want to be beside the truck on your bike when that happens.

:0461:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »
Many years ago I was next to an 18 wheeler when a tire blew. A chunk flew a foot or so over my head!
Never again will I next to a big rig in a car or bike.
With about 1300 miles on the clock, so far the Metzlers are just fine. I don't push it but I'm no slouch either.
This is the time of year when things heat up during the day. Pressures checked in the morning at 65F will shoot way up riding at 90F. I've been known to adjust a couple times a day.
From my research, I'm going with the Michelin Road 5's if our sizes are available when I need 'em. I don't plan on doing any off roading. This bike was bought for leg comfort and touring.

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 03:00:23 PM »
I cannot recommend Michelin Anakee II enough. Give it a try if you can. You won't be disappointed.

:821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy

Offline maccers

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer xca
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 04:33:24 PM »
I have annakee wilds and I use them only if im going on trails primarily its the green lanes of Ireland and the slate trails of wales that I used them however I noticed whilst their road manners were fine under hard braking from say 85 down to 70 MPH they a weave was noticeable. So if im doing big road mileage and little or no trails I fit Tourance and they give an ideal ride under all conditions as far as I can see

maccers

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 08:31:12 PM »
I curious to see how long the Tourance next lasts, so far it is a good tire for me but I only have ~1800 miles on it.    From my research the Anakee II are really a love or hate tire, seems like some people can't get them off of their bike fast enough and others love them.   

I am not going to go Road 5 unless they come in the normal or GT sizes, the trail versions have a softer rubber and didn't last that well for me.   I did have a Bridgestone T30 EVO on a previous bike and they did really well.  I would consider the T31 or the A41.   I was also looking at the Dunlop roadsmart 3 tires because of their long life. 

I do 99/1% road to off road riding, lots of highway and some interstate, off road is gravel roads and packed dirt roads. 

I honestly question if the 90/10 tires even do that much for off road other than marketing.  The tread seems really really close to a fully on road tire, I get it isn't a knobby but at some point the difference is going to be so small as to be indistinguishable.

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 08:39:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
I honestly question if the 90/10 tires even do that much for off road other than marketing.  The tread seems really really close to a fully on road tire, I get it isn't a knobby but at some point the difference is going to be so small as to be indistinguishable.

Don't know about 10/90, but I can vouch for the Anakee II's off road performance for a regular adventurer. Leaving mud and deep sand aside, that magical rubber got me into and out of quite a bit of adventuring around Pachaug State Forest and Big River area (RI & CT).

This is Anakee II - I wouldn't do this on Tourance even if you paid me

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 05:46:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
Don't know about 10/90, but I can vouch for the Anakee II's off road performance for a regular adventurer. Leaving mud and deep sand aside, that magical rubber got me into and out of quite a bit of adventuring around Pachaug State Forest and Big River area (RI & CT).

This is Anakee II - I wouldn't do this on Tourance even if you paid me

What kind of mileage are you getting out of the Anakee II? 

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 10:12:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
I curious to see how long the Tourance next lasts, so far it is a good tire for me but I only have ~1800 miles on it.    From my research the Anakee II are really a love or hate tire, seems like some people can't get them off of their bike fast enough and others love them.   

I am not going to go Road 5 unless they come in the normal or GT sizes, the trail versions have a softer rubber and didn't last that well for me.   I did have a Bridgestone T30 EVO on a previous bike and they did really well.  I would consider the T31 or the A41.   I was also looking at the Dunlop roadsmart 3 tires because of their long life. 

I do 99/1% road to off road riding, lots of highway and some interstate, off road is gravel roads and packed dirt roads. 

Michelin have changed things up this year with their naming conventions. You can already get the Road 5 tyres in Normal size for the Tiger 1200, but they are not suitable for a bike that heavy. The Trail tyres getting released in June for the Tiger/BMW 1200's are exactly the same, but with a stiffer carcass and a harder compound in the middle so that they actually last longer for a bike this heavy. They won't have a softer rubber, the Trail is effectively the old GT now for adventure bikes.

I don't think they are releasing a GT version for the Road 5, at least not this year. I'm planning on getting the Trails in June because I do 99.9% of my riding on the road. If they are anything like the new Power RS tyres I had on my Street Triple, they are going to be amazing!

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 11:41:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by nuttySweeet [+]
Michelin have changed things up this year with their naming conventions. You can already get the Road 5 tyres in Normal size for the Tiger 1200, but they are not suitable for a bike that heavy. The Trail tyres getting released in June for the Tiger/BMW 1200's are exactly the same, but with a stiffer carcass and a harder compound in the middle so that they actually last longer for a bike this heavy. They won't have a softer rubber, the Trail is effectively the old GT now for adventure bikes.

I don't think they are releasing a GT version for the Road 5, at least not this year. I'm planning on getting the Trails in June because I do 99.9% of my riding on the road. If they are anything like the new Power RS tyres I had on my Street Triple, they are going to be amazing!
It is good to know they are not going to have the softer PR4 trail rubber in the R5 trail tires.   It always drove me nuts they decided to put softer rubber in the trail version versus the normal or GT versions of the tire.  In the US they don't have the tires for the 2018 Tiger 1200s, my wheels are front 120/70 R19 rear 170/60 R17.  Michelin does call out the weight as you stated on their website and looks like I will have to wait for 2019 before I could try them out.

MICHELIN Road 5 Standard versus the GT version
The above sizes of MICHELIN Road 5 tires are designed for naked bikes and roadsters such as the Triumph Street Triple and the Suzuki SV650.
Heavier grand touring bikes such as the BMW R 1200 RT or the Kawasaki 1400 GTR require the GT version of MICHELIN Road 5, which will become available in 2019. Until then please choose MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tires.

Recent Topics