Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 1200 Metzeler Tourance Next?  (Read 8277 times)

JG_XRT and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
Re: Tiger 1200 Metzeler Tourance Next?
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »
I do think the last, they do have an unique engineering/design.

There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline Jersey Boy

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Washington MI
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2018, 07:09:52 PM »
My girlfriend has a 2016 BMW R1200GSA with about 60,000 miles on it. Yup that's right she is an LD rider, an experienced Rally Rider/Competitor  who has ridden in multi-day rallies (she has been accepted into the 2019 Iron Butt Rally as well). She is also a Motorcycle Safety Foundation instructor for the past 11 years. Her bike has worn only the Tourance Next Since new. She gets about 12,000 on a set and rides the bike like mad! I recently took and advanced parking lot class with her in the rain and she flung that thing around like it was a toy! She has absolute confidence in these tires, so who am I to argue? I just bought a set to replace the Avon Storms on my TEX!

Offline wb416

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '17 Explorer XCx
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2018, 08:57:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jersey Boy [+]
My girlfriend has a 2016 BMW R1200GSA with about 60,000 miles on it. Yup that's right she is an LD rider, an experienced Rally Rider/Competitor  who has ridden in multi-day rallies (she has been accepted into the 2019 Iron Butt Rally as well). She is also a Motorcycle Safety Foundation instructor for the past 11 years. Her bike has worn only the Tourance Next Since new. She gets about 12,000 on a set and rides the bike like mad! I recently took and advanced parking lot class with her in the rain and she flung that thing around like it was a toy! She has absolute confidence in these tires, so who am I to argue? I just bought a set to replace the Avon Storms on my TEX!

Thanks for sharing. 

It makes me wonder how much differently the BMW 1200 wears a set of Tourance Next versus the TEX, based on things like overall gross weight and how it carries it's weight (center of gravity).
'17 Tiger Explorer XCx
'11 Suzuki Vstrom 650
'79 Suzuki GS1000

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2018, 02:08:29 PM »
Maybe it is the wear now that I have 3K miles on them or maybe that I have been listening for it but I do hear the tire noise.

Offline TigerEXP

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 15 Exp Wire Wheel
  • City / Town: Gold Coast
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2018, 07:23:50 PM »
After 2 sets on the Tex I won't be using them again. Interesting the GS1200 gets such good results from the Metzlers.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2018, 07:28:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by TigerEXP [+]
After 2 sets on the Tex I won't be using them again. Interesting the GS1200 gets such good results from the Metzlers.
With bike and rider, there may be a significant weight difference that may be as much as 100 lbs.  That could make a difference.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline BigLee

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer naturally!!
  • City / Town: WORKINGTON
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2018, 11:01:19 AM »
I believe it's confidence, if you trust a tyre and know why and when it does a certain thing you'll be comfortable with it. Once you start reading "your" tyre is "bad" then the seed of doubt is planted and will grow. Look at how bad tyres were 15 years ago, but they actually weren't.
Love the one you're with ;)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2018, 04:16:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by BigLee [+]
I believe it's confidence, if you trust a tyre and know why and when it does a certain thing you'll be comfortable with it. Once you start reading "your" tyre is "bad" then the seed of doubt is planted and will grow. Look at how bad tyres were 15 years ago, but they actually weren't.
Love the one you're with ;)
Fair enough, but I don't think that your confidence level has much, if anything, to do with uneven tire wear.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline wb416

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '17 Explorer XCx
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2018, 01:30:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by wb416 [+]
I bought my 2017 TEX xcx in early December 2017 and rode all winter here in Southern Ohio down to 20F/-6C.  5500 miles on the Tourance Next so far and keeping my eye on front tire wear (1 of 3 bikes, so I split mileage a bit).  My wife just started riding pillion, and I thought I was picking up more road noise than normal.  Reading this thread, seems I might not be altogether imagining things.  Tire has done well for me on dry twisties (most of my rides), damp roads, during heavy downpours on Interstate/motorways, on dirt/gravel, and even climbing steep grass hills.  Still, I've not tried pushing their capability offroad too much.

Got my eye on Pirelli Scorpion Trail II like I have on a 650 Vstrom, but will investigate these threads for other recommendations as well.  I'm probably looking for a 80/20 to 90/10 tire for most of my riding and will consider a set of TKC for more rugged offroad slogs through the woods.  BTW... is the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II a sister tire to the Metzeler Tourance Next?

I reached the limits of the front tire at 6800 miles.  I was surprised that it wore down so quickly in the last few hundred miles I rode this weekend.
'17 Tiger Explorer XCx
'11 Suzuki Vstrom 650
'79 Suzuki GS1000

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2018, 03:35:20 AM »
My new, old stock '15 Explorer has about 1800 miles on them now. At first after reading all the hate for Next's, I thought about replacing them as I was having "security" issues as well. Not very confident for sure.
Now that I have suspension springs that actually work with my weight, I have no complaints with the tires.
I still plan on replacing them with 100% street tires, now later than sooner.

Recent Topics

nonskid