Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Upper Crash Bar Bolt Torque Settings  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Chris TEx

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XCX
  • City / Town: Montrose
Upper Crash Bar Bolt Torque Settings
« on: March 13, 2018, 02:28:39 PM »
Hi Folks,

I’m in the process of fitting Heed upper crash protection bars to my 2017 Explorer XCX.

Can anyone help me out with the torque setting required? I’m struggling to find them via Google.

Cheers
Chris

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: Upper Crash Bar Bolt Torque Settings
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 03:14:54 PM »
Assuming that Heed use the same torque as SW-Motech for the upper bars - then 80Nm

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 04:22:34 PM »
Here is the laundry list from the TEX Service Manual for the complete set of motor mounts (gen1):

Upper crankcase mounting lock nut:  105Nm
Cylinder head left hand rear mounting: 85 Nm
Cylinder head right hand rear mounting: 85 Nm
Cylinder head left hand front mounting: 115 Nm
Cylinder head right hand front mounting: 100 Nm
Lower crankcase mounting lock nut: 105 Nm

This is also the order in which they are supposed to be torqued.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 05:23:01 PM »
I've just finished that job.

Top tip (hope I'm not teaching my grandma to suck eggs) is: release the radiator by undoing the top mounting bolts, under the headstock, and the lower bracket rubber mounts. the rad then swings back enough to get your hand in to hold the nut in place on the top/front mounting points.

You may still need the 300m wobble bar that I used to hold the nut while torqueing, or you may be able to get away with long socket extension.

Slightly lower-level revelation is that it's difficult to tighten the short RH bracket bolt because it's tucked behind the fairing. You might find it's easier to refit the RH fairing last, not following the guide.

(Please don't shame me by telling me it was all easy and took you ten minutes. 😑).

Good luck.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 05:26:18 PM »
Final bit of paranoia.

Check and double check you use the right bolt for the right hole. They all look confusingly similar.

*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
I've just finished that job.

Top tip (hope I'm not teaching my grandma to suck eggs) is: release the radiator by undoing the top mounting bolts, under the headstock, and the lower bracket rubber mounts. the rad then swings back enough to get your hand in to hold the nut in place on the top/front mounting points.

You may still need the 300m wobble bar that I used to hold the nut while torqueing, or you may be able to get away with long socket extension.

Slightly lower-level revelation is that it's difficult to tighten the short RH bracket bolt because it's tucked behind the fairing. You might find it's easier to refit the RH fairing last, not following the guide.

(Please don't shame me by telling me it was all easy and took you ten minutes. 😑).

Good luck.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline Chris TEx

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XCX
  • City / Town: Montrose
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 06:42:45 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone.  eEverything is loosely fitted up, just need to loctite and nip everything up. I’ll double check all the bolt sizes before the final torque up.

P.S. wasn’t done in 30mins!!

Offline Youngclan

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: tiger explorer xc
  • City / Town: Great Yarmouth
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 08:26:54 PM »
I’ve just bought a upper set today for my 2015 tex, they should be here by next week. They looked straight forward to fit, but am a little worried now about fitting them myself, as I don’t have a torque bar.
Might be in contact again.. pity you didn’t do a video or take picture along the way that would have been a great help.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:30:35 PM by Youngclan »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:25:39 PM »
There are some good descriptions of installing crash bars on this forum. Suggest you do a search. Also, engine mount bolts are pretty important. I would not attempt this without a decent torque wrench and set of sockets etc.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Massrider

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '14 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Central Mass
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 10:08:27 AM »
I fit my Heed upper bars to my '14 last weekend, I was able to get to the top front motor mount bolts by letting the bottom of the rad swing forward. Overall thay fit really well, the one thing I don't like about them is that the front right (brake side) motor mount doesn't use a spacer between the bar and the threaded slack adjuster, the original bolt is recessed into the frame and tightens down on the adjuster but the bar mount sits flat on top of the frame with no contact with the adjuster. Anyone else have a concern with this or am I overthinking it? My guess is they are made this way because each bike is somewhat unique in how it is adjusted, I may take them back off and make my own spacer to fill the gap.

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 01:25:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Massrider [+]
I fit my Heed upper bars to my '14 last weekend, I was able to get to the top front motor mount bolts by letting the bottom of the rad swing forward. Overall thay fit really well, the one thing I don't like about them is that the front right (brake side) motor mount doesn't use a spacer between the bar and the threaded slack adjuster, the original bolt is recessed into the frame and tightens down on the adjuster but the bar mount sits flat on top of the frame with no contact with the adjuster. Anyone else have a concern with this or am I overthinking it? My guess is they are made this way because each bike is somewhat unique in how it is adjusted, I may take them back off and make my own spacer to fill the gap.

On the RHS, the top rear engine bolt does have a spacer.  The top front bolt doesn't need one.

Can you put up a photo? I don't quite see what you're worried about.

There's no "gap" that I can see.
--------
If not now, when?

Recent Topics