Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tell me about heated gear - gloves & socks and what else?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
Tell me about heated gear - gloves & socks and what else?
« on: March 17, 2018, 04:34:52 PM »
I have never owned or ridden in auxiliary heated clothing.  I was always able to get buy with long underwear, etc.   

But I have passed 63.  I take Lisinopril now.  I have a touch of arthritis / carpal tunnel in my hands.  I "feel" cold now, and I don't like it much.

My prior BMW had heated grips.  My TEx does not.  I was never fully pleased with the heated grips on the BMW.  Seemed like I could never quite find the right combination of gloves and heat setting.  Often wound up with sweaty palms and cold hands at the same time.  So buying a TEx without heated grips wasn't that big a deal for me.

In general, I don't ride when it is below freezing.  If I am very confident that I will NOT come upon ice, I will ride if there really is a purpose for it, but I try to avoid freezing conditions.

Last year, on my trip to Prince Edward Island, in early June, I rode into record cold temperatures for New England and the Canadian Maritimes.  I hadn't planned/packed for that and was miserable for four days.  I don't want to repeat that.

I have installed a heated seat on my TEx.  I am considering adding the heated grips.  However, for almost exactly the same cost, I could buy everything I need for heated glove liners and heated socks, controllers included.  I don't need to remove the fuel tank to install heated gloves and socks, etc.   And I don't see any way that heated grips would aid my feet.  And I think I can store the glove liners and socks on the bike without giving up too much valuable cargo space.  (Not sure how convenient it would be to put the socks on though.)

So my question.  Are a heated seat, gloves, and socks enough, assuming I continue to use lined jackets and pants when I expect cold?  Do I need more? Should I suck it up and install the grips?  Any other comments or advice from those with a lot of experience with heated gear?

Thanks in advance

Dick

Dick63

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
Re: Tell me about heated gear - gloves & socks and what else?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 05:34:41 PM »
I have a set of hot wired heated gloves that I do like because I don't have to have a separate controller.  They have 3 settings for each glove (H, M, L) and find that with heated grips they work great.  These gloves and from what I read, lots of heated gloves can keep the backs of your hands warm and the palms can get cold.   

I just bought a 2018 XRt and this is my first bike with heated seats.  On my previous bikes, heated gloves, heated trips, warm jacket (Triumph Navagator I think, thick lining and storm collar), over pants (fairly cheap brand from cycle gear since I don't wear them unless it is 40f or colder) and work boots, I am able to ride down to 25f.  I do live in a very dry climate so I don't worry about ice until it gets deep into the winter.  I am curious if next fall I can get even colder than 25f. 

Remember that your hands and feet get cold because you are losing too much heat from the rest of your body.  I can really tell the difference in how warm my hands are by the addition of my over pants.

From what you are telling me I would get heated grips and the seat along with the gloves.  I would hold off on the socks and see if you need them.  If price is a concern I would go with the heated grips over the seat because of the even heating on your hands. 

I also had a BMW and found that the grips left some to be desired and the alternator was lacking as well to keep up with much heated gear. (S1000XR). 

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2014 TEX XC
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 05:41:06 PM »
:-) To heat or not to heat, that is the question.

Long answer:

Individual problems with cold-weather riding and their common remedies:

Hands: Heated grips keep your palms warm. They help in no way shape or form when windchill slowly freezes your fingers. No amount of insulation helps when it's below 30F - let's not talk about rain for now.

Heated seat: The most useless form of heating - the engine always helps and a sheepskin will take care of everything else. Heated seat is a comfort thing, it won't help with below 30F riding conditions.

Body: The most important part. Heated jacket is a must for every cold condition regardless of the temperature. If you feel cold, it is cold. You will not go wrong by investing in a heated jacket.

Legs: Simply irrelevant. A thickly padded / insulated pair of pants with a thick base layer works in any freezing temperature.

Feet: The one nobody thinks about. Only true cold weather people know what it feels like when your feet starts freezing, the pain, the numbness, the fear. I would say they are as important as your hands.

My advice, as a true 12 month, all season long distance rider is:

Get heated jacket, get heated socks (heated soles don't work - I broke the cables in two trips and returned them) with a dual zone controller.

I never liked heated gloves, so I have heated grips and guard mufflers for winter - those mufflers are god-send. They work like magic in the rain as well. Primarily because I am afraid that if my hands freeze I die on the bike. Everything else, I can take - but frozen fingers scare me to death once so I won't ride below 40F without my hand guard muffs. I don't have heated gloves but I wouldn't mind them - but I'd still have my muffs.

Short answer: invest in heated gear; you will not be sorry. If you have heated gloves, don't worry about heated grips. Heated grips come in handy in those cold mornings in Colorado and you don't want to wrap yourself up in cables.

Don't bother with battery operated things. They just fail to satisfy.

Carry the heated gear in your side-case.

The amount of money I spent on weird sh#t just because I didn't want to buy heated gear far surpasses the amount of money I finally did spend on the damned heated gear. They keep you safe, happy and healthy.
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:03:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dick63 [+]
So my question.  Are a heated seat, gloves, and socks enough, assuming I continue to use lined jackets and pants when I expect cold?  Do I need more? Should I suck it up and install the grips?  Any other comments or advice from those with a lot of experience with heated gear?

I just finished a two day 800km jaunt around the west coast of Ireland and the temperature on day 2 sat at 4 degrees centigrade. I have a 2018 XCa with heated seats and heated grips, I would not have enjoyed this 2nd day at all without my heated vest, it was just invaluable. The heat from the seat is nice but not roasting. I like the idea of heated inner gloves for the front of the hands which the heated grips don't help with. Many vests have connections for other heated items so you are still working off one battery connection, just choose the fuse size properly depending on how many items you are connecting. My Keis vest came with a bag of fuses and a little chart to help you work out which size was required. You must choose the vest size correctly and wear it directly over your thin base layer, it wants to be quite tight, if loose or a little baggy the heating effect is much reduced.

Offline Villager

• Explorer Pro
  • 2017 XRx
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
  • City / Town: The Village
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 08:30:43 PM »
I have gradually increased my heated hear over the last 3 years.

Prior to heated gear I used Tucano Urbano muffs with heated grips for winter commuting. I like my gloves staying dry in rain and the muffs improve the efficiency of the heated grips as you have a toasty air pocket around your hands. These worked lovely on my R1150GS and Super Tenere, and just about okay on a Tracer (FJ09).

I have used the muffs on the TEX this winter but I find them a bit bulky and they foul my tank bag on full lock.

For a trip to the Eifel in Germany at Easter in 2016 I bought a Keis heated waistcoat and insoles. These were a revelation in keeping me comfortable. I did another trip at Easter last year to Avignon and parts of Central France were below freezing on the way home. I run these off a single controller. They use remarkably little power, being under 2A each.

This winter I have added a pair of Gerbing heated gloves. I have only used them on one trip and they are lovely, once you get the cuffs sorted. You need a jacket with a decent sleeve opening and and inner cuff to form a good seal. I'll be using these on a trip next weekend to Luxembourg if this winter spell continues. I have put the wiring in between my Rukka jacket layers, cable tying in place. Same with the wiring for the insoles into my trousers.

Gerbing & Keis use the same co-axial connectors so I can mix & match the wiring, just using one power lead with Y pieces where needed.

So, in short, yes, buy heated clothing.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 01:19:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]

Feet: The one nobody thinks about. Only true cold weather people know what it feels like when your feet starts freezing, the pain, the numbness, the fear. I would say they are as important as your hands.

I never had the issues with my feet that I did with my hands.  I always figured that my feet were getting heat from the engine.  I also wear pretty heavy leather work boots so they fight the cold naturally which could be some of it.  I also needed my fingers to be more limber to work the clutch and brake.  Though if you have ever gotten frostbite you are much more susceptible to getting it a second time.   Froze your toes once it can happen easier the second time.   

I guess I didn't come out and say it but if you are still cold after the gloves you should get a heated jacket.  Keep your core cooking and the rest of you will be just fine.

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 03:35:26 AM »
< 40 degrees at night. you are riding and the soles of the boot are facing forward. there's nothing to heat the bottom of your boots. the times when I need that heated sock is usually when I have to ride 100+ miles. and yes, once your feet gets cold that's it, after that they get cold even quicker than the first time.
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 03:42:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
< 40 degrees at night. you are riding and the soles of the boot are facing forward. there's nothing to heat the bottom of your boots. the times when I need that heated sock is usually when I have to ride 100+ miles. and yes, once your feet gets cold that's it, after that they get cold even quicker than the first time.

/shrug   I can go down to 25F and my body gets cold but my feet are no worse off than the rest of me.  My fingers are my weak point by far.

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 04:05:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
/shrug   I can go down to 25F and my body gets cold but my feet are no worse off than the rest of me.  My fingers are my weak point by far.

:821:

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 09:33:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dick63 [+]
I have a touch of arthritis / carpal tunnel in my hands.   

Me too! I have heated grips and Keis heated gloves. The gloves help with the cold but the heating elements in them make them stiffer than normal gloves, which doesn't help. They're not uncomfortable, just awkward. When it's really cold I put up with that but I prefer thinner more flexible gloves and my heated grips. I usually carry both pairs and switch between them to balance temperature & comfort. I'd recommend you get heated grips first and then get gloves if you still suffer in the cold.

Recent Topics

nonskid