Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: seats  (Read 1473 times)

Offline stjohn

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200xc globebuster
  • City / Town: llannon
seats
« on: April 02, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »
Anyone on here had a seat reshaped so the bones of your arse don't get so battered and bruised {tiger xc 2015) .I am going to get mine done and looking for feedback on comfort,post modification. photos will help,it cant be just me that's struggling after 2 hrs. also anyone using sheepskins and any good?.

Offline owl

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SDR+ Tex XC
  • City / Town: Canterbury
Re: seats
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 04:39:56 PM »
I sent my original seat to Russell Daylong in California and they reshaped it into this.

I've done the same thing on each of my last 3 bikes.

Not the cheapest, but is without doubt the comfiest.

I did a 36 hour rally on that seat - even slept on the bike for 3 or 4 hours - not the slightest ache from my arse area. I could only take about 2 hours at a time on the original seat, and even that was painful.

Offline tiger885

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: TEX 1215 XRT
  • City / Town: St. Albans
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 06:17:32 PM »
You could try sending your existing seats to CM Motorcycle Seats in Coventry. I've had my Gen II heated seat reshaped with a latex layer added which has worked for me. I no-longer slide forward and comfort has definitely improved. I just had the front seat worked on and the pillion seat recovered to match.

www.cmseats.com

Previous bikes: 1970 Mini Bike, 1971 Suzuki 50cc Trail Hopper, 1972 Yamaha YDS7-250, 1998 Yamaha Diversion 600, 2000 Triumph Tiger 885i, 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 11:54:46 PM »
Have you tried the trick of putting the front of the seat on the "high" position and the rear on "low" to make the seat flatter? I found it significantly more comfortable. I coudn't leave it like that permanently as the seat would slide forward 3/4" on braking, but you could try it and see if that would make a good basis for reprofiling. In the end I went for a Touratech seat, which was a great improvement.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 12:17:39 AM »
I have my seat hi-lo all the time.  Doesn't slide around on me.
Have an Airhawk cushion fitted AND a sheepskin.  Better, but probably not as much as a reshaped seat would be.  I survived an 11,000km trip like that (two-up).

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 01:46:01 AM »
The Mk II was designed to make that seat position "legal". I've heard of some people who don't have that problem on the Mk I, but with the position of the mounts on mine it's always going to be a problem. The front bar of the seat is about 3/4" of an inch back from where the mounts are in this position, with the seat held back by the rubber bands on the rear bar. When I brake, it slides forward until the front bar hits its stops, stretching the rear rubbers.  There's some reason to think that Triumph changed the design mid-run, since they apparently don't provide the seat bars when they sell you a "comfort" seat and expect you to fit your existing ones so that it suits the bike.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 09:24:44 AM »
If you want someone a little bit closer to Llannon try: 

http://www.diggerseats.co.uk/Home.html

I've never used him myself but have heard good reports.

Offline travlr_45

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer xcx
  • City / Town: Savannah
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 01:20:16 AM »
What effect did the Russell have on the height of the seat?  I had a Russell on my 1050 tiger and it raised the height almost 2 inches.

Offline owl

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SDR+ Tex XC
  • City / Town: Canterbury
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 09:12:35 AM »
I went from the balls of my feet when stopped to almost on tiptoes. I still use the front down, rear up fixing that I had on the original seat.

You very quickly learn to move your arse forwards by an inch or two when coming to a stop, which puts you back onto the balls of your feet.

I'm not even aware that i'm doing it now, and it's certainly worth it for all day comfort.

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • City / Town: Pulborough
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 09:41:06 AM »
I have a Russel DayLong for sale. From my 2015 TEx.
PM me if you are interested!
Phil  :152:

Recent Topics

nonskid