Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spring rate dilemma  (Read 2639 times)

Online Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
Re: Spring rate dilemma
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 12:48:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fuze [+]
Does the side-stand seem to work better now?  More secure lean angle while parked....easier to deploy when 2 up....etc?

The side stand is fine when parked, or without a passenger, mine got so low with passenger and luggage that it was impossible to deploy the sidestand without leaning precariously to the right, so I gave up and got Mrs D to mount/ dismount with the sidestand up, which isn't as secure as propped up on the sidestand.

Stiffening the rear suspension will raise the ride height at the low end, but not the high end as it will only extend to the limit of its travel, each mm of deflection will then take more force (weight) so you shouldn't bottom out and end up as low fully loaded, this is exactly what happened when I had my Tiger 800 re-sprung by Maxton's.

Low back end also changes the rake/ steering geometry, so the front end lifts and isn't as planted.

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: Spring rate dilemma
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 04:06:35 PM »
Yes easier to deploy the SS with the heavier springs.
I never measured the sag with the OE springs, it was obvious it was way to much even cranked all the way stiff.
One of the reasons the bike is cornering so well now is because the rear end is staying up.
Our preload sag should be about 2.25” with the load you are carrying. I’ll bet it is more than that with just the weight of the bike with max preload and OE springs. Maybe someone can check.

Recent Topics

nonskid