Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Hugger  (Read 4463 times)

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Athlone
Re: Rear Hugger
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 10:40:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by TPadden [+]
My Powerbronze Hugger is in a trash can at the Arctic Circle.  It served me well until I hit a bump in the road ...... well Dalton Hwy.   It wasn't much of a bump, not more than an inch or two and I didn't even think enough of it to stop. 

When I reached the Circle, about 10 miles later, I heard rubbing but thought it was just some mud caught between the hugger and tire.  It wasn't; the right side of the hugger caught on the muffler somehow and curled the hugger into the tire.  The hugger had started to actually cut the tire, it wouldn't have been pretty had I not checked it.  I now let my rear get dirty  :008:.

Tom

Ouch & Good point. Exactly why i avoided the powerbronze, pyramid and the skidmarx huggers.
I'm hoping from the look and design of the Puig that it's a much more sturdy attachment.
The other 2 just dont instill any confidence in me from looking at their construction and mounting methods.
Especially the powerbronze with it's mounting a long arm to the 2 caliper bolts. Wtf? Leverage? Bumps? No thanks.. 😜

Online glenn389

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Rawdon
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 10:49:39 PM »
Guiri lives over the other side of the hill from me and obviously has much wetter weather.....
The rear hugger I have fitted is a Puig model 8595C. Puig describe it as a "rear fender". It does not prevent "sideways" spray, but does help to suppress it. My missus still gets spray on the rear of her legs when the weather is bad. Unfortunately I don't have any photos which may help to show what I am trying to describe. Any I do have of the bike tend to be taken when it is clean. Soz.  :003:

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 11:05:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by glenn389 [+]
Guiri lives over the other side of the hill from me and obviously has much wetter weather.....
The rear hugger I have fitted is a Puig model 8595C. Puig describe it as a "rear fender". It does not prevent "sideways" spray, but does help to suppress it. My missus still gets spray on the rear of her legs when the weather is bad. Unfortunately I don't have any photos which may help to show what I am trying to describe. Any I do have of the bike tend to be taken when it is clean. Soz.  :003:
Suppression us better than no suppression.. cheers Glenn 👍

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 06:09:26 PM »
Exactly why i avoided the powerbronze, pyramid and the skidmarx huggers.
I'm hoping from the look and design of the Puig that it's a much more sturdy attachment.
The other 2 just dont instill any confidence in me from looking at their construction and mounting methods.
I had the Puig on Gen1 and did 30,00 miles with no issues - admittedly 95% tarmac but some of it in various parts of Europe were less than ideal - so it had a pretty good test

That and the horror stories on the other makes is why I shelled out the extra for Puig on Gen2. I accept it doesn't stop all the spray but as said it does help so is good for me
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline Rolo

• Explorer Member
  • Life is a roller coaster - 'Just gotta Ride it!'
  • Bike: Explorer XRx 2017
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 09:03:51 PM »
Hi Chaps,
Wholeheartedly agree with Budweiserfrogie, Chippy & others regarding poor clearance.
At the weekend I'll rip out my Second Skidmarx Hugger and fit the Puig on my Gen2.

On a previous thread, I explain how Skidmarx sent me the first Hugger, which didn't cover the profile of the Gen2 tyre and after getting covered (up the sides) had it exchanged as they had sent me a Gen1. I've now had the slightly larger profile Gen2 Hugger for a couple of months, & have now farted & fiddled bending the bracket and grinding off excess screw threads to protect tyre, yet after returning from bike nite (with pillion) noted that the hugger is still fitted so close to the tyre shoulders it's started 'polishing' the tyre on both 'chicken strip' edges when under compression and the tyre shoulder is wearing a groove in the underside of the hugger.
Complete crap. 100 quid and hours wasted.
So I'll go for the expensive Puig ready for tour-time and take whatever protection it affords me, at least me & any pillion will remain upright.
Stay safe guys, fit the Puig.
✌️

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 09:47:37 PM »
I'll post pics when i get a chance.
Plenty clearance and also full tyre width with the Puig on my Gen3 2018 Tiger1200

Offline Rolo

• Explorer Member
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 10:15:53 PM »
I appreciate that Mucker, thanks.

I can see by various online pics that the Puig sits higher and offers greater clearance than others, probably why it does not offer total protection as muted by others. But at least I won't have to prematurely change the tyre or worse!

Enjoy you new steed fizzyfroggybeerman.

Rolo
✌️

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 08:48:29 PM »
Just fitted a Puig this week after reading this thread.  It's nicely made and fitting was easy, looks factory.  Only negative is they used cadmium plated bolts rather than stainless which means corrosion down the road.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline Rolo

• Explorer Member
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 09:52:49 PM »
Thanks for your update pcarnut,

Mine has been ordered and I'll have the can of ACF-50 at the ready to coat the fixing heads.

Appreciate it.

Rolo
✌️

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 10:25:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rolo [+]
Hi Chaps,
Wholeheartedly agree with Budweiserfrogie, Chippy & others regarding poor clearance.
At the weekend I'll rip out my Second Skidmarx Hugger and fit the Puig on my Gen2.

On a previous thread, I explain how Skidmarx sent me the first Hugger, which didn't cover the profile of the Gen2 tyre and after getting covered (up the sides) had it exchanged as they had sent me a Gen1. I've now had the slightly larger profile Gen2 Hugger for a couple of months, & have now farted & fiddled bending the bracket and grinding off excess screw threads to protect tyre, yet after returning from bike nite (with pillion) noted that the hugger is still fitted so close to the tyre shoulders it's started 'polishing' the tyre on both 'chicken strip' edges when under compression and the tyre shoulder is wearing a groove in the underside of the hugger.
Complete crap. 100 quid and hours wasted.
So I'll go for the expensive Puig ready for tour-time and take whatever protection it affords me, at least me & any pillion will remain upright.
Stay safe guys, fit the Puig.

Interesting, I have the same (Skidmarx) Hugger fitted to my XRX-Low and have not had any of the issues you seem to have had - have not had to grind any excess screw thread off, nor has it seemed to hit the tyre (maybe its because I have PR4 Trails fitted, which are a slightly different profile from the Tourance Next fitted before - who knows), whether I've been one or two up.

So for me it will stay - at least for the time being

Recent Topics

nonskid