Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Reluctant parting  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Reluctant parting
« on: April 13, 2018, 11:15:01 PM »
Well as I mentioned elsewhere on this forum I am finally parting with my much loved Tex after five brilliant years. Over the past year or even 18 months I had begun to struggle with its weight when two up and carrying luggage. At the end of the day that is why we purchased originally, but for me it had also became a solo love affair.

Anyway the crunch came when I came close to letting it fall over at a stop twice on the same weekend with the Wife on the back. That brings one down to earth pretty quickly, and to avoid injury to Her in such a situation I knew the time had come to let the Tex go.  I am now in my 68th year and the various deteriorations that accompany the ageing process together with my small physical stature are mitigating against me on the Tex.

So, after a lot of consideration of various bikes including an 800XRT we finally settled on a Suzuki DL1000 as best suiting our purpose. It is good for the Wife and is considerably lighter than the Tex. It is also much smaller in stature and carries its weight low down. It is a very different motorcycle and I believe we will enjoy ownership, but the Explorer is a hard act to follow.

I may have a couple of bits to sell such as a Touratech rider seat and a standard pillion seat so I will stay on for a while to move those on. 

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
Re: Reluctant parting
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:31:45 PM »
 :159: oh brother. you will be sorely missed - but I think you can still hang around your experience still counts and you are a TEX owner at heart.

Once a TEX owner, always a TEX owner!

As long as you are on the road it's all good and hopefully we'll see each other out there someday.

:821:

onward, and upward!

:305:

:019:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 11:39:46 PM »
Griff, I think fondly of my (shared with my wife) ownership of a DL650, which I just sold last summer. I have been looking at the new V-strom from a distance and catch myself thinking about the 650 version again, as fuel and insurance rates soar here. I may yet join you, perhaps in a year or two.

Safe travels, Griff.   :001:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline isb

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hell
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 03:03:39 AM »
Sorry to see you go, Griff as you’ve made many great contributions to the community. As Icy said, hope you stay around emeritus style.
Cheers, Ian

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't.

Offline Youngclan

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: tiger explorer xc
  • City / Town: Great Yarmouth
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 07:04:42 AM »
If all those that had to reluctantly swap/sell/give up there tex and then left this site and take there knowledge with them where would that leave the newbies, stick around and share your knowledge of the tex.
I’m also interested in the Touratech seat and am off to Ballina near Limerick early June on my tex so keep me posted could always collect.

Ride safe...

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 02:45:49 PM »
Sad to see you go, Griff. It feels like seeing an old friend move away after these past 6 years on the forum together. The Suzuki should treat you very well. They're great bikes. Best of luck to you & the missus! :821:
Jon

Offline Fuze

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 14'Tex white/graph
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 05:18:45 PM »
Glad you didn't hurt yourself or your co-pilot when recovering from those close calls.  It is hard to leave a bike initially, once you start putting the miles on it will be a fond memory. 

Keep the smiles on and the miles on. 
Your parting gift is a can of chain lube

Have fun Griff
 :305:

Offline PapaTom

• Explorer Master
  • Ride Safe - Ride Tomorrow
  • Bike: Blue Explorer
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 05:48:19 PM »
Hi griff.
All the best for the future.
68, got your wife and a bike, what else do you need.
Regards.
Tom

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 06:11:41 PM »
Griff,
All the best
I'm lucky enough to have Tex & Vstrom (650) in my stable so may see you on the VStrom forum?
Not rode the 1000 but if its as good as the older 650 then its a very easy bike to live with and always puts a smile on my face - that's most days as I commute on it

Enjoy

Chippy
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 07:08:58 PM »
Thanks for all your input Griff - understand entirely - she's a big old gel fully loaded up - good luck with the DL - they are made of strong stuff and non too sniffy
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Recent Topics

nonskid