Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Service Interval advise  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Swamprider

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 (2017)
  • City / Town: San José
Service Interval advise
« on: April 16, 2018, 02:19:01 AM »
Hello Gents,
I took my Explorer 1200 for first service @800km.
According to the service booklet, next service should be at 16000km, however the service manager told me I should bring the Tiger in @ 5000km.... what gives?
Our fuel might not be the best being in Central America, but still sounds like the shop wants tomake a quick buck....

Advice?
Regards,
Patrick :148:

Online mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
Re: Service Interval advise
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:01:20 PM »
Service intervals for the explorer are every 10,000 miles (16000km) or yearly whatever is sooner.
In addition there are some things that need checking or changing whatever the mileage like coolant and brake and clutch fluids and hoses.
There is a first service at 500 miles when new that is basically just an oil change from the running in oil and they change the shaft oil.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:05:14 PM by mjab »
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 12:18:55 PM »
I would be asking why they want it back in less than halfway through the service interval, do air filters need more attention out there ? I know it's more of a problem for some of our Aussie chums.

He may have a good reason, but if so he should be telling what that reason is.

Oil is fully synthetic and is the main reason why bikes and cars are moving to longer service intervals, so shouldn't need replacing.

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Swamprider

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 (2017)
  • City / Town: San José
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 02:46:32 PM »
I took the Tiger for the 500mi (800 km) service.  They changed the oil and filter; they didn't touch the shaft oil.
Maybe they'll change the shaft oil at 5000k and put in an extra oil and service charge.... smart ass they are (pun intended).  Water is more an issue here than dust, rains more than 3000mm (120in) per year so that's ruled out.
I will ask about the shaft oil.

Thks,
Patrick

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 05:02:09 PM »
500 mile service they definitely should have changed the shaft oil. There is no service until 10000 miles. Sounds like you're getting 'shafted' if he's wanting to do a 5000 mile service

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 08:35:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
500 mile service they definitely should have changed the shaft oil. There is no service until 10000 miles. Sounds like you're getting 'shafted' if he's wanting to do a 5000 mile service

:0461:

The only time Triumph calls for changing the shaft oil is at the 500 miles service.     I just changed my shaft oil a week ago on my new ride, and there was quite a bit of metal dust attached to the magnetic drain bolt.    Probably not something to put off for another 4,500 miles.     :821:
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Online kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 02:25:18 AM »
There has been quite a bit of discussion on here about shaft oil changes.  The 'official' schedule doesn't seem to require it, ever.
My dealer didn't change it at 800km, so I bought some and did it myself.  (Oil was very clean.)

I'd say your next service should be at 16,000km.
I know there are folk on this forum who change oil more often, but I'm not one of them.  Expensive synthetic oil is bought for a reason.
My next service will be 64,000km.  It will be done at a backyard joint used by quite a few Triumph folk here.  I'll ask him what he thought of the drained oil, after its done.
(my riding is pretty well all on Bitumen roads.)

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 03:05:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
There has been quite a bit of discussion on here about shaft oil changes.  The 'official' schedule doesn't seem to require it, ever.

I'm not sure if you meant to exclude the 500 mile service, but the official service schedule does require it to be changed then (and only then). I just checked my workshop manual.

I agree that it is unnecessary to change the engine oil more frequently than every 10k miles. Personally I've gone over to changing the oil (but not the filter) at 5k miles, but that's just because it makes the gear change easier. I'm not worried about the engine wearing out prematurely. I also changed the bevel drive oil at 50k miles, on a "why not" basis - there was only a tiny amount of debris, nothing to worry about.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 04:17:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
I agree that it is unnecessary to change the engine oil more frequently than every 10k miles. Personally I've gone over to changing the oil (but not the filter) at 5k miles, but that's just because it makes the gear change easier. I'm not worried about the engine wearing out prematurely. I also changed the bevel drive oil at 50k miles, on a "why not" basis - there was only a tiny amount of debris, nothing to worry about.

I don't know as I agree with the oil change making it to 10K miles, I will let the oil analysis tell me as I keep extending my miles on the oil.

Not counting the first 500 mile service, I always changed the bevel drive oil on the valve check intervals.  I always figured that was a good time to give the bike a lot of care and attention. 

Online kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 10:49:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
I'm not sure if you meant to exclude the 500 mile service, but the official service schedule does require it to be changed then (and only then). I just checked my workshop manual.
No I didn't exclude the 500 mile service.  According to my dealer, their schedule doesn't include a shaft oil change at 500 miles (800km).
Plenty of folk on this forum have found that from their dealers.
I don't have the factory manual, so I don't know what it says, but presumably the dealers don't go by that.

Recent Topics