Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Satnav Mounts 2015  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
Satnav Mounts 2015
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:20:46 PM »
I've got a 2015 Explorer with the OEM bracket, a Zumo 550 and a RAM mount that I've been using for about ten years on different bikes, I'm thinking of something more permanent with less vibes and positioned a little higher above the clocks, I thought Touratech did an above the clocks mount, but they now reckon they only do a handlebar mounted version now.

So what does everybody else do ?

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
Re: Satnav Mounts 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:08:57 PM »
Sorry I can only advise on what I use myself which is a standard Ram mount on the top screen rail. Pretty much in line of sight and I don't really notice any vibe at all, if there is any I certainly don't notice it.

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Online kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 02:18:24 AM »
I'm with NH.  I use the RAM mount that came with my Zumo 590LM on the rail, just like NH.  No problems with vibration.  Great GPS location.
-But I don't have any vibration to speak of on my TEx.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 04:12:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
I'm with NH.  I use the RAM mount that came with my Zumo 590LM on the rail, just like NH.  No problems with vibration.  Great GPS location.
-But I don't have any vibration to speak of on my TEx.
I have the same setup. I split and wrapped a piece of fuel line around the windshield bracket and then used the D clamp on that. No vibrations and no problems with slippage.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Frenchie1974

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: East Midlands
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 08:30:17 AM »
I use the Touratec locking mount, the position above the clocks is perfect and because it locks the satnav in place I'm happy leaving it there on short 'pit stops'.

If you can find some old stock or a used version online I'd thoroughly recommend it.

image removed at request of poster

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 03:30:22 PM »
Cheers Frenchie, that's the one I was after, but they reckon they don't do anymore ?

I'll have to check evilBay  :016:

NH with the RAM Mount, any pics side on so I can see which bits you've used, I have a selection I've collected over the years, but using it on the Triumph bracket doesn't raise it above the clocks like your pic  :028:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 07:43:53 PM »
Here is mine. I believe that this was the original Zumo 550 RAM mount bracket that came with the original kit.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 07:46:28 PM »
I've used standard ram mount fittings that come with tomtoms. I have both short and long clamp sections and I use the longer one. It clamps directly onto the top rail without the need to use anything else.

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 07:59:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Here is mine. I believe that this was the original Zumo 550 RAM mount bracket that came with the original kit.

I see you use the U-clamp bolted around the top rail and then attach the long clamp to that. I find that doing away with the U-clamp and attaching straight onto the top rail looks neater and the height on mine is perfect for me.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 08:45:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by NH [+]
I see you use the U-clamp bolted around the top rail and then attach the long clamp to that. I find that doing away with the U-clamp and attaching straight onto the top rail looks neater and the height on mine is perfect for me.
I have three different RAM arms of different lengths, but I ended up using the shortest for this application. How do you keep yours from sagging on a bumpy road?

Recent Topics

nonskid