Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 3 years and counting  (Read 1019 times)

Offline SteveADV

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '14 TEX
  • City / Town: Chagrin Falls Ohio
Re: 3 years and counting
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 04:16:25 AM »
I have a '14 Tex and just went through the exercise of test riding other bikes including an 800XrX, a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, and a Versys. The reason for even considering a change is the idea of a lighter bike (I'm 68). Gave the other bikes a good ride and strong consideration. I really liked the 800 but for me keeping the Tex makes the most sense. I like the heavier weight while touring (Iron Butt member), I do very little off road riding, I have the bike set-up for me ergonomically and the 1200 triple is tough to beat.

For the first time in a long time I am down to one bike in the garage. I'm glad it's a Tex.

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 02:09:10 PM »
I haven’t entertained parting with my ‘14 TEx but I did decide to buy a 2nd bike for going on trails. I decided on a 2017 Honda CRF250L and I gotta be honest, I ride it more than the Tiger now. When I do jump on the Tiger, her size and weight are almost overwhelming. Mind you, I’m only 44 and have never had a problem managing the Tiger but just last week when I was getting her down off the center stand, she took a nap!  I had never dropped that bike before unless it was off road in the sand. There was no reason for the drop either except for my infrequent riding of her since March when I got my Honda. I simply stood over her and stared in disbelief for a few minutes. Then I about developed a hernia picking her up!

Jokes aside, I love the TEx still. In 2 weeks I’m riding her from Florida to Arizona so I’ll have my TEx legs back under me in short order. There is no way I could ever make that trek on my dirt bike. (Although with street tires...hmmm)
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by FL_Explorer [+]
When I do jump on the Tiger, her size and weight are almost overwhelming. Mind you, I’m only 44 and have never had a problem managing the Tiger but just last week when I was getting her down off the center stand, she took a nap!

I've had mine 3 years, and mine took a nap recently for the first time. I have to admit, even before that small incident, that I have been considering changing to something less top-heavy. Only considering, mind you. In the frame as potential replacements are the Tiger 800, BMW R1200GS (had a test ride, and it carries it's weight so remarkably low but is remarkably expensive) and BMW F850GS.

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 12:39:48 PM »
Yeah Nutter, the boxer engine in the 1200GS totally changes the feel of a large ADV bike. And valve checks are so much easier!
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 02:26:43 PM »
When I finally (and reluctantly) made the change to a lighter lower bike the GS never even was considered. When it comes to BM's I am afraid I have a mental block. That developed back in the 90's and has been there ever since.  :001:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 04:05:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Griff [+]
When I finally (and reluctantly) made the change to a lighter lower bike the GS never even was considered. When it comes to BM's I am afraid I have a mental block. That developed back in the 90's and has been there ever since.  :001:
About 6 years ago, I rented a 1200 GS for four days while on vacation in AZ. I have never ridden a bike that I was so immediately comfortable riding two-up on. It was a lot of fun. It was that rental that got me thinking about switching from my 700 lb ST1300 to a lighter ADV style bike. But at that time, my wife was riding her own V-strom, so all of my riding was solo. I chose the TEX over the BMW for its solo prowess, engine and value ($6K less than a GS at the time). But I have never quite been happy with my TEX riding two-up.

We are planning on doing a 21-day supported tour in South Africa (Cape Town to Victoria Falls - two-up) next year and the included bike rental will be a BMW, likely a 1200GS. It will be an interesting opportunity for comparison.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 04:09:56 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 04:41:47 PM »
I had some friends of a friend stop by a couple of years back (they were going  S. America to Alaska and were using my garage to service their bikes) on a couple of BMWs. They informed me that 'BMW' stands for 'bike might work'  :745:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 04:53:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
I had some friends of a friend stop by a couple of years back (they were going  S. America to Alaska and were using my garage to service their bikes) on a couple of BMWs. They informed me that 'BMW' stands for 'bike might work'  :745:
Nah, it stands for Bring My Wallet.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid