Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mpg?  (Read 2154 times)

Offline McCrae72

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger explorer XRX
Re: Mpg?
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 09:24:17 PM »
I have the ali panniers and top box, not fully loaded as I was only away for a weekend, motorway work was conservative so 80 to 85 but mostly 80. Standard screen and winglets, scorpion exhaust. While on the motorway homeward the mpg dropped from 49 to 48.7, I do have the occasional burst of speed but mostly cruising. To be fair I was expecting to see 50+ mpg but I really don’t know how I could achieve that without changing my riding dramatically it seems.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 09:42:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by McCrae72 [+]
I have the ali panniers and top box, not fully loaded as I was only away for a weekend, motorway work was conservative so 80 to 85 but mostly 80. Standard screen and winglets, scorpion exhaust. While on the motorway homeward the mpg dropped from 49 to 48.7, I do have the occasional burst of speed but mostly cruising. To be fair I was expecting to see 50+ mpg but I really don’t know how I could achieve that without changing my riding dramatically it seems.
Have you done the 12-minute tune up since installing the Scorpion exhaust? My mileage actually improved by 0.6 ltr / 100 kms after I installed the Arrow exhaust and performed the 12-minute tune up.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:08 PM »
Riding one-up I usually get around 52-53 mpg, I don't think I've ever got it down to 50 no matter how I ride. The average stays pretty much constant riding local with a topbox or touring europe with heavy panniers and the topbox. I have fun but don't scream the engine everywhere.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline McCrae72

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 10:19:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Have you done the 12-minute tune up since installing the Scorpion exhaust? My mileage actually improved by 0.6 ltr / 100 kms after I installed the Arrow exhaust and performed the 12-minute tune up.

No I haven’t, but the fueling doesn’t seem off. Maybe I’ll give it a shot and see if it helps.
The bike has only done 2k miles so probably will loosen up a bit more as yet.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 11:07:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by McCrae72 [+]
No I haven’t, but the fueling doesn’t seem off. Maybe I’ll give it a shot and see if it helps.
The bike has only done 2k miles so probably will loosen up a bit more as yet.
It's an easy fix. I highly recommend it.  :002:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 11:53:18 AM »
On my Gen 3 with spirited riding commuting from Essex into London every day, I get about 43mpg. On longer trips on the Motorway, I get anywhere between 50-60mpg depending on traffic and speed. If I was to stay in the slow lane I reckon I could get 80mpg easy.

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 01:04:03 PM »
Lets be right here, if you're worried about 2-3 mile per gallon, it's maybe time to give up biking.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 02:27:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by nuttySweeet [+]
On my Gen 3 with spirited riding commuting from Essex into London every day, I get about 43mpg. On longer trips on the Motorway, I get anywhere between 50-60mpg depending on traffic and speed. If I was to stay in the slow lane I reckon I could get 80mpg easy.

My gen 3 I get about 45mpg (US) commuting and I think 55mph for a long trip I could get into the 60s for mileage.  If I hit the interstate and do 80 mph (the speed limit here) I am down around 30-35 mpg.  I have a top box but no side cases.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 04:09:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by wrinkley [+]
Lets be right here, if you're worried about 2-3 mile per gallon, it's maybe time to give up biking.
Well, it is not just the cost, that is a concern for some, it is also the range, given the smallish fuel capacity of the TEX. Not everyone rides in places where there is a gas station every 10 blocks.  :038:

Offline McCrae72

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 04:15:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Well, it is not just the cost, that is a concern for some, it is also the range, given the smallish fuel capacity of the TEX. Not everyone rides in places where there is a gas station every 10 blocks.  :038:

Well said.
It’s not about costs and I’m not likely to stop riding after 30+ years because of the mpg, I was interested to see how my bike faired compared to others as a sub 200 mile tank range is new to me and I wanted to make sure it was normal.

Recent Topics

nonskid