Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mpg?  (Read 4925 times)

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: Mpg?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 07:24:58 PM »
The fuel gauge is not as good as it might be. I run down to zero miles remaining at about 190-205 miles from full. I've run it 20 miles at 60mph past that point, but I think most people would be nervous about burning that last reserve. Pushing the old beast would be a bit of a challenge.

Offline McCrae72

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger explorer XRX
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 07:32:44 PM »
Now that’s a problem, I was told when I picked up my bike that I should believe the fuel gauge and if it said I was empty I would be. I really should take a can of fuel with me and run it dry and see how accurate it really is.

Offline markis42

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Xc
  • City / Town: Bromsgrove
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 08:00:46 PM »
Always get 200 plus miles from a tank where ever I go. Mostly two up with top box and Batzen screen set at middle height.
Its all about the right hand at the end of the day and I probably ride steadily compared to some others. Having said that that's possibly why I am still riding after 40 years.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 10:19:39 PM »
I seem to be filling up around the 190 mile mark and it is taking roughly 4.2 gallons (US).  There should be almost a gallon left in the tank if the specs are correct. 

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 04:54:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by McCrae72 [+]
Well said.
It’s not about costs and I’m not likely to stop riding after 30+ years because of the mpg, I was interested to see how my bike faired compared to others as a sub 200 mile tank range is new to me and I wanted to make sure it was normal.
  I consistently can go 200 miles on a tank and have fuel left over.  Last tank on my Gen 3 I went something like 15 miles past "0" miles remaining and put in 4.7 gal.  This is consistent with my Gen 2 and also my 1050.  Basically, when it gets to one bar remaining, you've got one gallon left, ride/plan accordingly. 
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 05:15:49 PM »
And yet, there have been a couple of postings over the years from people who have said that 0 miles displayed was literally the end of the road for them. In some ways, I wish that the miles to zero countdown could be turned off. I just find it misleading and stress-inducing.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Fazer

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Tyneside
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 07:00:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
And yet, there have been a couple of postings over the years from people who have said that 0 miles displayed was literally the end of the road for them. In some ways, I wish that the miles to zero countdown could be turned off. I just find it misleading and stress-inducing.

Just select one of the other possible variables (odo, ave speed, inst fuel cons etc) when the display changes automatically to ‘range’. No-one forces you to watch it counting down to zero.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fazer [+]
Just select one of the other possible variables (odo, ave speed, inst fuel cons etc) when the display changes automatically to ‘range’. No-one forces you to watch it counting down to zero.
Yeah, I know...  :155:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 03:48:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
  I get that.  I'm the same way when I see that orange fuel light come on way too early.  Once it's on, my discomfort level goes up.  It's there for a reason, but it sure comes on early.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
  I get that.  I'm the same way when I see that orange fuel light come on way too early.  Once it's on, my discomfort level goes up.  It's there for a reason, but it sure comes on early.
On my bike, the initial mileage remaining number always seems to be optimistic. Then, as the remaining mileage ticks down, it appears to be at a rate that is about double the actual mileage traveled. Next time it happens, I will take the initial countdown number and compare it against my average fuel consumption on the basis of 1 gallon remaining, and see how close it is.

Recent Topics

nonskid