Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mpg?  (Read 4137 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Mpg?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 09:50:17 PM »
Here is a followup to the miles remaining question. Today, I went out for a ride and planned a fuel stop halfway through. About 10 kms (6 miles) from the fuel stop, the warning came on and the displayed showed 65 kms (39 miles) remaining. I rode the 10 kms (6 miles) to the fuel stop, but the display still showed 61 kms (36.5 miles) remaining instead of  55 kms (33 miles) remaining.

So what does this mean? Well, on my bike, after the countdown to empty starts, the calculated mileage remaining isn't linear. It starts off over-estimating the mileage remaining and then as it gets closer to empty, it compensates by under-estimating mileage remaining, which means that miles to zero drop faster than actual miles traveled.

When I stopped for fuel, I put 15.65 ltr (4.13 US gallons) in the tank (20 ltr = US 5.28 gallons). That seems about right -- about 39 miles to the US gallon (combined city and hwy riding) which is typical for me in town.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline smorgan

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 12:55:43 PM »
Or the miles remaining value is responding to people changing their riding style 😊 once the light comes on how many people back off and start eking out the fuel left ?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 04:10:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by smorgan [+]
Or the miles remaining value is responding to people changing their riding style 😊 once the light comes on how many people back off and start eking out the fuel left ?
Well, not me.  I ride conservatively 95% of the time and even more so when I am down to two bars on the fuel gauge.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Triumphxrx

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer XRx
  • City / Town: Overland Park
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 02:03:43 AM »
2017 1200 XRx first tank was 44 mpg, still on second tank and hit my 500 service warning and still have 3 clicks on fuel gauge.

Offline BarnsleyBob

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Wymondham
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2018, 10:08:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
On my bike, the initial mileage remaining number always seems to be optimistic. Then, as the remaining mileage ticks down, it appears to be at a rate that is about double the actual mileage traveled. Next time it happens, I will take the initial countdown number and compare it against my average fuel consumption on the basis of 1 gallon remaining, and see how close it is.

Mine's similar to that. I've found that if I ride 'steady' after filling it right up the 'range to empty' will often show 260-270 miles, which I know I never get and it does seem to drop quicker once the tank is showing half.

That said, I usually fill up when the light comes on anyway (or soon after) but I've found that this means I'm usually putting about 15 litres in, so there's clearly plenty left. I also find it easy to average 50-55mpg (according to the bike) on long runs, sometimes it goes up around 60mpg but equally, if I'm out for a blast with friends it can drop to low 40's...

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 12:17:39 PM »
On a recent run down to Hereford (250 mile scenic version) I managed 49.5 UK mpg, 207miles on the trip meter and filled up with just shy of 19.5litres, not hanging about on the open road, but a fair bit of pootling around towns and villages, no motorways.

I usually get between 46-48 UK mpg, but a lot of that is shorter 20mile commuting to work  :028:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline McCrae72

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger explorer XRX
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »
Well I did the 12 min tune up, and I’ve also put the puig touring screen (which I hate) and I got 203 miles with 16.5 miles still showing on the fuel range. I think the bike is still loosening up as it’s still only done 2500 miles so I’m pretty confident that 200+ miles from a tank will be the norm, happy with that.

Offline russ999rocket

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »
My 2016 XRX now has 14,000 miles on the clock and;

All with no aluminium Triumph panniers;

All solo or two up, does not seem to make a difference;

Average cross country bimbling 52-56mpg
Motorway work at 75mph, light winds 50-52mpg

With aluminium Triumph panniers fitted;
Average cross country bimbling 49-52mpg
Motorway work at 75mph, light winds 48-52mpg
European Motorway work at 85mph, strong winds 42-46mpg

I trust the miles left readout without question and the most miles per tank was 221 with it showing 0 left in the tank when I pulled into the petrol station close to my home.

If it ain't broke don't fix it

Online JG_XRT

• Explorer Member
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2018, 10:24:34 PM »
I am getting 37.8 MPG on my 2017 TEX XRT.

Mileage seems to go up until I get on the freeway.  Freeway speeds of 80+ MPH really suck down the fuel.

On a recent trip home from the Moonshine Lunch Run, the weather turned cold (34 F) and I ran into stiff headwinds and crosswinds north of Indianapolis.  The mileage for that tank of fuel dropped to about 26.5 MPG.  I had to keep hauling a$$ to beat the sub-freezing temps and predicted snow/freezing rain.  In April.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline bonzo1050

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: xrt
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2018, 08:28:20 PM »
2016 XRT 14,000 miles panniers,top box and pillion never drops much below 53mpg.

Recent Topics