Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: UK insurance - too many miles  (Read 1115 times)

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
UK insurance - too many miles
« on: April 17, 2018, 07:18:13 PM »
I've been doing the insurance fan dance for the past couple of days. I've got it sorted now, but one thing that surprised me was that Bikesure (Adrian Flux) could not offer cover through any insurer because of the "extreme mileage". I'd asked for 15,000 miles on the TEX, which barely covers unexpected deviations while going to the supermarket. Has anyone else had this problem?

Offline McCrae72

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger explorer XRX
Re: UK insurance - too many miles
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:25:59 PM »
Not with insurance, but I was surprised that Triumph consider 5000 a year high mileage as quoted by the dealer when I bought my bike. I only usually quote 5-6k for insurance as I never know how much time I’ll have to ride. If I get close to that limit I just ring insurer and get more.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 09:34:25 PM »
Average mileage in a car these days (UK) is now down to only 7,800 miles p.a in 2016 (published last year). That's mainly due to more and more households having multiple vehicles. Not sure what it is for bikes as the data sets are less clear but my understanding is that it's quite a lot less than that and probably around the 5-6k mark for large capacity machines. It's substantially less for smaller capacity bikes which brings down the average even more.

On that basis then yes, 15k per year would be deemed excessive.

Rediculous I know, but thats how they work out risk etc for Joe average.   :038:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 11:09:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by McCrae72 [+]
Not with insurance, but I was surprised that Triumph consider 5000 a year high mileage as quoted by the dealer when I bought my bike.
That's typical. When you go to trade your bike in, the dealer will tell you that it is "high mileage" and "used". If you go back as a prospective buyer the week after, you will be told that your old bike is "pre-owned" and "all highway miles" which is, of course, the best kind.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline loftybob

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 01:14:32 AM »
I rack up over 30,000 Km's a year in Australia over all my bikes.

Our insurance companies don't care how many we do.
When Injustice Becomes Law - Resistance Becomes Duty

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 09:05:56 AM »
My insurance has no mileage limit but they do ask what I expect to do - I just say 10k on each of my modern bikes as a ball park figure & there's no problem. My old clunkers only do about 2k miles between them so barely enter the equation.

As for dealers.......Mine feigned horror when I did 10k miles in 8 months as most of their customers don't ride anywhere near that much. I get 1st class service from them and workshop time at short notice if needed.......but OK, I admit they know I'm a frequent customer so must be an easy cash cow to milk  :019:

The down side is I know full well they'll offer me a pittance when it comes time to trade in  :157:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 09:25:24 AM »
Here in Frogland, only some insurance companies are offering reduced prices for low mileage use (AFAIK they make no difference between bikes and cages). Most absolutely don't care for how many kms you do.

I do 20,000 km a year on my Tex and everyone deems that "extreme" (dealer included). Come on you all non-riding people! Riding a Tex (officially labelled as an "Adventure" bike) is not the same thing as riding a GSX-R! Let's not get simplistically general!

I know that insurers are mere cash pumping companies like any other, but even them would probably benefit from a little bit fine grained policies...

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
You just have to shop around, Bikesure like other insurers have their own parameters, worth checking with a comparison site, or two, I regularly used to do in excess of 15,000 miles just commuting  :028:

The more miles you do (car, or bike) the more likely you are to be involved in an accident, therefore the higher risk, there again the more risk aware you are likely to be and the more experienced, but insurance companies rarely take everything into account (just the bits than mean they can charge more).

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 10:19:18 AM »
Last year my rise in premium for a higher mileage was offset by me adjusting the value of the bike as a year on it would have depreciated.
This year I said my mileage would be another 2k more than last year (10000) now but I was holding the value so my new quote was 2% higher than the original quote.
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 08:18:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Here in Frogland, only some insurance companies are offering reduced prices for low mileage use (AFAIK they make no difference between bikes and cages).
Seems counter-intuitive. Surely, people who ride/drive less are less experienced and therefore more likely to have an accident (within 10 miles of home, in the majority of cases).
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid