Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sharing piece of mind regarding speeding, splitting lanes...  (Read 2550 times)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Sharing piece of mind regarding speeding, splitting lanes...
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 03:49:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by TPadden [+]
What, and you can't adjust?
I surely can.

Unless I'm riding more than 30 km/h faster than the main traffic (which I normally don't do, owing me lots of nice words from scooters behind me waiting to zoom through the traffic as if it was a mere corridor).

Unless the stoopid cager doesn't look into his mirror before turning the wheel (happens at least twice a week for me; and if you heard about my slightly overkill light signature, it's clearly a matter of not looking around at all).

I totally get the point of being rear ended (see picture of my previous Tex if you please), but I definitely witnessed lane splitters going down. What may make us agree is that everytime the biker could have avoided the crash by filtering reasonably instead of feeling so divine.

Offline TPadden

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200XC
  • City / Town: Brooksville Fl
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 03:58:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
What may make us agree is that everytime the biker could have avoided the crash by filtering reasonably instead of feeling so divine.

I'm retired Southern California Law Enforcement; if you ever want a real thrill that will literally scare the poop out of you - fall in behind a lane splitting CHP (California Highway Patrol) motor officer and try to follow him through Los Angeles.  :005:

Tom

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 04:06:38 PM »
I'm retired Southern California Law Enforcement; if you ever want a real thrill that will literally scare the poop out of you - fall in behind a lane splitting CHP (California Highway Patrol) motor officer and try to follow him through Los Angeles.  :005:

Tom
I'll never try to follow any police biker, be it a CHiPs or a CRS (Compagnie Républicaine de Sécurité ;-).

Some of my most careless friends had the opportunity to do it when the police opened the road to the Bol d'Or. Said friends are used to track days, they had sport bikes and they just never could reach the R1150 RTs of the CRS! They burnt rubbers and sliders, but to no avail ;-)

As for the police filtering at speed, they have sirens and flashing blue lights that surely reduce the risk, but it's still a really dangerous job (kudos to them all for that).

Offline TPadden

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 04:15:13 PM »
As for the police filtering at speed, they have sirens and flashing blue lights that surely reduce the risk.

Not Chippy's; they cruise/ patrol splitting lanes with nothing but a non-flashing headlight.

Tom

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 12:58:09 PM »
I was once told by a Staffordshire Police Officer during a Bikesafe course, when filtering came up "You don't buy a bike to sit in traffic" - nuff said  :008:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline TPadden

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 02:37:17 PM »
...I totally get the point of being rear ended (see picture of my previous Tex if you please).....As for the police filtering at speed, they have sirens and flashing blue lights that surely reduce the risk....

My getting rear ended experience wasn't on 2 wheels but did involve flashing lights and a life-flight to University of California at San Diego burn center; I also have pictures (and even a video).   I'll continue to lane split whenever traffic stops on a limited access highway anywhere.   :003:

Tom

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 02:42:04 PM by TPadden »

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »
My getting rear ended experience wasn't on 2 wheels but did involve flashing lights and a life-flight to University of California at San Diego burn center; I also have pictures (and even a video).   I'll continue to lane split whenever traffic stops on a limited access highway anywhere.   :003:

Tom

:005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005:
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline Bobsmodels

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: NEW MALDEN
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 04:54:43 PM »
As an ex Instructor I always told my student to only filter if traffic moving slower than 20mph and then to not exceed 20mm faster than traffic.  Fast filtering is dangerous and may get you pulled by Police for dangerous driving.

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 05:50:42 PM »
I envy such attitude from LEOs. Here in NYC your speed or your manner doesn't matter. It's illegal and you will get a ticket - if there happens to be a non marked patrol car and you happen to stop at a red light that is. Especially in Brooklyn, where LEOs seem to be a bit more inclined and enthusiastic about such tickets. I fight all my tickets - of which I have many. I lost this first one. There was another one and I won that one (judge ruled in my favor) that was filtering again but this time it was weird because I wasn't filtering, I was pushed in between cars because of some douche; which I had pointed out to the police officer but he said "tell that to the judge." In that case the LEO actually drove his patrol car against traffic and blocked the entire three lanes from moving to prevent me from moving away at the light change. Both tickets are in Brooklyn.

My very first such ticket from 2012...

In Manhattan - where I commute every day on my motorcycle - on the other hand I've had many instances where the traffic police instructed me to embed myself in between vehicles, or empty spots in order to move the traffic.
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Recent Topics

nonskid