Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Right of Way question  (Read 2784 times)

Offline pug27

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Thirsk
Re: Right of Way question
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 12:17:35 PM »
I lived in Germany for many years and as a rule of thumb is that if your on a main road you have priority. If your on minor roads, including housing estates, give way to the right.
Keep a look out for this sign if you see it on your direction of travel you have priority. If you don't give way to the right.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 01:17:46 PM »
Never noticed any problems when I've been on French roundabouts, or side roads, they might go round at twice the recommended speed, but everyone just gets on with it and gives way as required, but then I wasn't driving  :001:

One thing you do notice is that they do know how to use the lanes on their motorways and everyone gives way to pedestrians at all the crossings  :028:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
One thing you do notice is that they do know how to use the lanes on their motorways and everyone gives way to pedestrians at all the crossings  :028:
Ok then you didn't drive in the South ;-)

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 02:52:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Ok then you didn't drive in the South ;-)

Do driver's ethos & ethics in France changes with latitude? More like Germany in the north, Italy in the south?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Do driver's ethos & ethics in France changes with latitude? More like Germany in the north, Italy in the south?
Yeah, pretty much like that.

Offline Ben_snapper

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Triumph explorer
  • City / Town: Halifax
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 11:49:35 AM »

*Originally Posted by McCrae72 [+]
In the UK solid white lines just mean no overtaking

Technically not correct, unbroken white lines mean 'do not cross'. If it was no overtaking a motorbike couldn't pass a cyclist. the exceptions are turning in or out of a junction (like you in Spain) or to avoid an obstruction. That could be a parked car, bus pulled up or a slow moving vehicle like road sweeper or cyclists. I also cross unbroken lines to filter past queuing traffic, as long as I'm not riding into oncoming traffic.  It's a grey area and could be done for it, but i have a good argument prepared, and it wouldn't be by a bike cop.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 12:44:07 PM »
NiK

Lyon area, I didn't say that they drove well, or cautiously, they just got on with it and didn't get rsey about lane discipline  :028:

Having crossed the roads in Rome and Sorrento, the French are positively courteous by comparison, British drivers will try to squeeze past someone who's already halfway across at a pedestrian crossing  :008:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline McCrae72

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger explorer XRX
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 03:26:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ben_snapper [+]
Technically not correct, unbroken white lines mean 'do not cross'. If it was no overtaking a motorbike couldn't pass a cyclist. the exceptions are turning in or out of a junction (like you in Spain) or to avoid an obstruction. That could be a parked car, bus pulled up or a slow moving vehicle like road sweeper or cyclists. I also cross unbroken lines to filter past queuing traffic, as long as I'm not riding into oncoming traffic.  It's a grey area and could be done for it, but i have a good argument prepared, and it wouldn't be by a bike cop.

I still think in this country it’s no overtaking, as there is a caveat in the rules to allow you to overtake slow moving vehicles ie tractors,cyclists. There is no rule stopping you Turning right into a driveway or side road across a solid white line here, there is in Spain, no crossing in any circumstance.

Offline Ben_snapper

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Triumph explorer
  • City / Town: Halifax
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 04:04:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by McCrae72 [+]
I still think in this country it’s no overtaking, as there is a caveat in the rules to allow you to overtake slow moving vehicles ie tractors,cyclists. There is no rule stopping you Turning right into a driveway or side road across a solid white line here, there is in Spain, no crossing in any circumstance.

So apart from the wording of not crossing white lines, we're kind of agreeing with each other. This is from the highway code:

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

Another example, if you're following a scooter rider and you're on your bike in a 60 limit, and he's doing 40, you can pass him as long as you don't cross the white line. if it meant no overtaking then you couldn't. But if you do it and part of your mirror, handle bars, or panniers cross the white line then you're commiting an offence.

My God I'm even boring myself. I won't get onto why I believe you can cross them while filtering past traffic. That could just tip me over the edge.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:06:38 PM by Ben_snapper »

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 04:11:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ben_snapper [+]
I also cross unbroken lines to filter past queuing traffic, as long as I'm not riding into oncoming traffic.  It's a grey area and could be done for it, but i have a good argument prepared, and it wouldn't be by a bike cop.

I recently was at an IAM meeting when this question arose and was answered by a senior police rider instructor & examiner. He was emphatic that a vehicle in a queue of traffic does not count as stationary. This is the Road Traffic Act not the Highway Code which does say "stationary" and so leads to that grey area of confusion. Maybe your only defence is to plead that its the H/way Code in the Driving Standards Agency test not the RTA.

Recent Topics

nonskid