Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pilot Road Trail Question  (Read 3737 times)

Offline melp

• Explorer Junior
  • More smiles per hour.....
  • Bike: Explorer 1215 Blue
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Re: Pilot Road Trail Question
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 07:28:34 AM »
I've recently gone for RP5's on my 2012 TEX.  I wasn't happy with the standard Tourances that the bike came with - can't put my finger on specifically why, other than they always seemed to square off real quick and I simply didn't have faith going into corners.
So I was looking for something different, and had read forums about PR4's, was thinking of going for those, when my local tyre dealer told me about the new RP5's. I was quoted and paid £265 for the pair, fitted, at Chris Mullins in Gloucester, UK.  (I did ask for a quote from Triumph Cheltenham, just in case seeing as I was nearing a service too, but they wanted £370!)

I'm roughly 1000 miles in and absolutely loving them. To me, it feels like it flows more into corners, and I just feel more confident, now with much smaller chicken strips too!

I've only now been directed to the comments on here about the RP5's not being suitable for our heavier bikes.  I had seen things before about not being suitable for GT's, but I've never associated my bike as being a GT - to me it's an adventure bike and is completely different to a big tourer, the sort of which I'm simply not strong enough to lug about in the garage or put on the stand (and dont get me started by saying putting a bike on centre stand is only about technique.........)

Being a scrouge, its highly unlikely I will change these before they've had some decent wear.  The majority of my use is motorway munching to work, occasional weekend plays, and about every 18 months a 10-day trip abroad where we avoid motorways and look for twistier roads, albeit the wider ones and not those with grass growing up the middle. With age I've slowed down a lot as my self-preservation gene has kicked in more, and I'm just happy bimbling along. So not being a part-time hooligan and also someone who only ever rides on tarmac, hopefully the RP5's will do me OK.

Having read the RP5 thread again, I will keep an eye on things, and we are headed to play in Germany and Luxembourg soon, so I will come back after and let you know how I get on.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »
It may be that Michelin will spec a heavier casing for the big trailies because they are more likely to be ridden off pavement and subject to rough roads, potholes and rocks. But this is a guess, based on what the Michelin rep told me. Unlike the previous generation of the Pilot Road line, it is all very ambiguous right now.

At 600+ lbs, my Gen1 TEX is about 100 lbs heavier than my wife's 650 V-strom, but 100 lbs lighter than my old ST1300.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Chaz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer
  • City / Town: Livingston
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2018, 10:58:18 PM »
New tyres required. Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail £280 front and back not fitted. Michelin Road 5 Trail £225 a pair not fitted. Best prices I can find, looks like PR5S for me at that price.

Offline Tuggy

• Explorer Member
  • Old Seadog, learning new tricks.
  • Bike: XRT
  • City / Town: Fife
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2018, 06:54:30 PM »
 I got a set of PR4Trails fitted for £255 at Strathearn Tyres. Didn’t have 5’s when I was in.
BSA, Z400, Z650, FJR, CRF1000L, XRT

Offline Chaz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer
  • City / Town: Livingston
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2018, 09:19:35 PM »
That's a good deal  :028:

Recent Topics