Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Looking for Gen3 Tiger1200 high Sat nav mount.  (Read 10715 times)

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Looking for Gen3 Tiger1200 high Sat nav mount.
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »
kenw - totally agree, all Sat Navs are pretty hopeless at finding an actual destination, like a business for example, they just cannot compete with Google Maps on that point. I use MyRouteApp for journey planning which has an associated phone app to list your created tracks. There are two phone Nav apps that I know off that take waypoint GPX files, Sygic is one of them and takes up to 48 way point routes. You send you track from MyRouteApp on the phone to the Sygic on the phone and away you go. The last time I checked MyRouteApp's own phone Sat Nav app didn't take a waypoint created GPX files but it might do now.

I ended up going off it as the Sygic did prove a little unreliable at times and my phone overheated on occasion and it just wasn't as hardy as a proper Sat Nav. It does provide a handy backup though, routes I create for my Tom Tom on MyRouteApp automatically appear in the phone so I always have a backup without thinking.

Incidentally if you subscribe to MyRouteApp you can plan your route with Google Maps (making it dead easy to plan because you can search for a business as a waypoint for example) and when finished change it to either Tom Tom or Garmin map before saving to your device. When using Tom Tom you can save ther GPX file direct to your Tom Tom MyDrive account and as long as your Tom Tom has a wireless signal it will pick up newly created routes automatically.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2019, 04:51:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
all Sat Navs are pretty hopeless at finding an actual destination, like a business for example, they just cannot compete with Google Maps on that point.

I agree about satnavs but Google maps aren't 100% accurate either. I often double check with Google street view and it's surprising how often the 2 vary, especially if G/Maps are just using a post code where that applies to a large rural area, or if the location has been deliberately "adjusted" for security or privacy reasons.

Offline TigerMAK

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Wien
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2019, 06:45:03 PM »
Smartphones as gps in British rain....

Folks, have fun with such a solution!!
Whoever had to ride in heavy  rain for hours will be lucky to have a rugged gps for motorbikes for navigation.

I would never rely on a smartphone which is plugged by usb  to the power supply of the bike.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2019, 10:20:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by TigerMAK [+]
Smartphones as gps in British rain....

Folks, have fun with such a solution!!
Whoever had to ride in heavy  rain for hours will be lucky to have a rugged gps for motorbikes for navigation.

I would never rely on a smartphone which is plugged by usb  to the power supply of the bike.
Correct.  Though if the trip isn't too long, the phone doesn't need charging on the go.
And putting a phone in a waterproof housing and wiring it for charging, in Australian heat, it overheats and cuts out.
My phone is waterproof, but in rain the capacitive touch surface is unusable.
All of which is why I have a bike GPS.

But what we are talking about here, is using the phone to connect to the bike's LCD screen where it will display route.
Presumably there is a Triumph app which will run on the phone.  That phone can be safely tucked in a pocket, or a pannier, or tank bag, on charge if necessary.
What I don't know, is how my Sena headset communication with the phone will be affected.  My guess is, it will be one or the other, which if true would make the Triumph navigation solution a fail.

Online BruceC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer XCa
  • City / Town: Solihull
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2019, 10:55:31 AM »
Only 23 sleeps until I collect a new XCA. I spoke with the dealer regarding swapping over the Satnav mount & wiring and explained that a switchable power source could be found by tapping into the rear auxiliary socket, as previously suggested earlier in this topic. The dealer has checked with Big T who claim that it is only to be wired with a permanent connection direct to the battery therefore the dealer will not deviate from this. I view my Satnav as an extension to the instrument panel, routing phone, music, radio as well as mapping and really didn't wish to go through the manually switching on & off routine. I understand that the Can bus system can be delicate when its messed with (see comments regarding the GS) but surely it can be done safely either wired to the rear auxiliary socket or via a relay. Also if I alter the wiring how is my warranty affected?    :084:

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2019, 10:57:10 AM »
Does the Gen 3 T1200 have a power supply for the top box like the Gen 1 & 2 ? If so that probably the best place to tap into without disturbing the canbus. On my Gen  2 I use one of these: https://www.marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk/product-page/5-way-switched-fused-power-outlet-1 and a suitable econoseal connector so it is easily isolated /removed.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2019, 02:39:00 PM »
Same here. I've been using the fuseblock for years and it simply rocks!

Recently, I couldn't power my topbox aux brake lights without disturbing the canbus, so I just installed a relay, triggered by the rear brake light wire, powered by the fuseblock. Everything's fine now!

In general, I think that having this handy direct fused power from the battery, trigger through a relay is the way to go. You don't disturb the canbus because you draw only the necessary current to trigger the relay and your main feed is protected by the fuseblock.

Now I don't see what could possibly go wrong (and I know that writing that just jinxed my electrics ;-).

Online BruceC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer XCa
  • City / Town: Solihull
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2019, 06:08:50 PM »
Thanks gents, It would seem the relay route is the way to go. I doubt the dealer will install this so I’ll have to do it myself.

Online Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2019, 06:27:16 PM »
This is what I use
http://pdm60.com

Love it

Offline Ray_B

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 18 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: MIDDLETOWN
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2019, 02:10:55 AM »
Use this. Power direct from battery and controlled from the rear powerlet. 6 fused circuits that can be either switched or always on.
https://www.fuzeblocks.com/Fuzeblocks-FZ-1-Distribution-Block_p_1.html

Recent Topics

nonskid