Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Looking for Gen3 Tiger1200 high Sat nav mount.  (Read 12109 times)

Offline Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
Re: Looking for Gen3 Tiger1200 high Sat nav mount.
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2018, 03:30:34 PM »
I also picked up a 2018 and I’m at a loss on where to mount it. Coming from a bmw GS this is frustrating

Offline aren

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRx (2018
  • City / Town: Brielle
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »
www.freespirits.it makes an (expensive) cellphone mount wich can be easely adapted to be used with a satnav.
It is mounted to the windscreen so it moves up and down with it

Offline BruceC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Solihull
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2019, 03:33:00 PM »
"Oh..nearly forgot, i powered mine from a feed i tapped into and routed forward from the rear power socket.
The advantage here is that it is only on when the bikes ignition is on, and its also a good supply as its provided as a power socket supply. I soldered into these wires behind the rear lights so still have use of the socket for passenger."
[/quote]
Good idea Budwieser. I've just placed an order for a Gen 3 and the dealer informed me that due to the canbus system the only way to power the satnav was via a permanent feed from the battery. I knew some of informed colleagues on this forum would come up with a better solution. Thanks :028:

Offline TigerMAK

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Wien
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2019, 11:11:39 PM »
It is a shame for Triumph to build a perfect bike which is advertised as an „adventure bike“ and not having thought to provide a solution for mounting a gps like BMW has for many years, or KTM, Aprilia or others.

Very short thinking and disappointing.

I admire everyone of you who build a solution for yourself but frankly speaking I am not willing to do one a bike which costs € 23.000,-!!! At this price you can expect a solution ex work!

If Triumph will not improve this in near future the next bike might be another choice - after riding 3 Triumph bikes in 16 years!

Offline Clunk

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCA
  • City / Town: Staffordshire
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2019, 04:24:18 PM »
TigerMark this issue will be resolved when the sat nav is linked into the TFT dash. A new feature for this is about to be released and is back compatible to all bikes with the TFT dash. Sat nav integration on the dash will be released with the new scramblers  utilising a new Triumph app for smart phones,and a bluetooth  module will be available soon. I believe it will require a small software update to the TFT dash as well. I don't think it will be as useable as say a stand alone Garmin or TomTom but it will give you point to point sat nav.
Maybe as technology evolves a more comprehensive sat nav will be available on the TFT dash. Have a look at the Triumph website for more info on all of this.

Offline Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2019, 04:39:35 PM »
We just want somewhere to mounts the damn unit. Down on the bar clamp is not a good place looking down on it. While I’m all for the TFT upgrade. Still won’t solve the problem is new gen 3 owners are having

Offline BruceC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Solihull
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2019, 05:02:25 PM »
My understanding is the planned TFT upgrade incorporating SatNav is very basic & similar to the BMW GS system and is not a replacement for a dedicated SatNav.
I totally agree with previous comments regarding the lack of a suitable mount on the Gen3. Who on earth in the Triumph camp thought it was acceptable to produce an Adventure bike with no real suitable location for a SatNav.

Offline Clunk

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCA
  • City / Town: Staffordshire
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2019, 05:05:35 PM »
I feel exactly the same I am just informing folks of whats coming. I have made my own for now and I am regularly checking to see if any manufacturers release anything for us. Sadly I think Triumph are looking forward in time rather than the present. I have made my views quite clear on a number of occasions but got no joy.

Offline TigerMAK

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Wien
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2019, 07:02:56 PM »
Clunk, whoever PLANNED a tour lasting a few days and not driving from A to B only will never, never be satisfied with navigation provided by a smartphone or any embedded gps of a TFT.

This is something I would use for a ride to the next petrolstation but not for a weeks ride of 4000 km through the Balkan for example.

This needs planning on the PC (regretfully Basecamp development was stopped), this needs loading many gpx to the devices. I doubt that this can be made with embeddded features of a TFT.

Take the „new“ feature of BMW, the link to the smartphone. If this would be a REAL alternative to a gps device, I wonder why BMW introduced successfully the Navigator VI which is a Garmin device and much better than the extremely moderate Zumo 595 (which I own - the display is terrible lowlight).

I agree that many bike producers will go the way of adding gps feature into the TFT, but if you can’t upload your planned gpx tours for me it will be worthless.

Planning on the bikes TFT is of course - NO way!!

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2019, 09:50:17 PM »
As one who has his Garmin Zumo 595LM mounted as per a previous post here, I don't totally agree that a smartphone solution is necessarily inferior.
I've had to revert to Google maps on my phone, when travelling in the north-west of Australia, because the (latest) Garmin map on the GPS just wouldn't produce any search results for addresses, even though the displayed map showed the streets I was looking for.  Visually browsing the map and expanding out bits to see (which is a clumsy affair on the GPS) then clicking on the likely destination, is not my idea of how a GPS should work.
Google should make a GPS.  It would be a winner.

I agree about the loading up of GPX files.  We need to be able to do that.  (I use Furkot to create GPX files.)  And I'm not aware of an Android smartphone app which will allow importing one GPX file, let alone multiples.
(Supposedly 'Navigator' will do it if you make it the associated app for a GPX file on the phone.  I haven't succeeded in getting it to work.)
If anyone knows of an Android navigation app which can load GPX files, please let us know.

I'll probably give the new Triumph display solution a go.  I hope the Bluetooth dongle needed, won't be horrendously expensive.  And no doubt the ECU upgrade will cost too.

Recent Topics

nonskid