Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Looking for Gen3 Tiger1200 high Sat nav mount.  (Read 4158 times)

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
Re: Looking for Gen3 Tiger1200 high Sat nav mount.
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 08:59:47 PM »
Well spotted, yes the touring screen, I should of mentioned that! Will post another pic tomorrow with the Sat Nav fitted. Does the standard screen sit a little closer in?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:02:08 PM by XCaTel »

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Athlone
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 09:13:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Well spotted, yes the touring screen, I should of mentioned that! Will post another pic tomorrow with the Sat Nav fitted. Does the standard screen sit a little closer in?
Don't know. Both your XCA and my XRT come with the touring screen as standard.
All the rest have the shorter version.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2018, 11:44:42 PM »
You should get a fit too then. I took a lot of time finding a good size Ram Mount base before I settled on that one, the key was keeping the ball as far away from the screen as possible. Hence the rectangular base rather than the larger square base.

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 11:55:50 PM »

I was thinking about using a ram mount for clutch/brake reservoir cap use, the offset ball type.
Its as shallow a design i can find.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:58:33 PM by Budweiserfrogie »

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 12:15:37 AM »
That looks like a good candidate and will sit the ball a little further away from the screen too compared to my base, nice one.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »
Took a good spin on poor back roads and motorway with the new setup and after some packing it works as well as I'm going to get. I would be happy going on a trip with the Sat Nav mounted like this. Initially the binnacle flexed far too much and I hadn't allowed for the screen flexing further backwards due to the wind pressure on the motorway. The first issue is largly fixed with some packing material between the binnacle and the dash and the second is to change the Ram Mount so the tightening handle is on the left hand side as you sit on the bike which just gave a little more clearance. You could also situate the Sat Nav mount upsidedown which just gives a more clearance again, not needed in my case so I put it the right way up again. It does mean I cannot adjust the dash fully but I have never found the need to in any weather condition.  I just need to find some black packaging material instead of my pink stuff! To me the pros outweigh the cons, it's not perfect but I'm not watching a movie on it. I still have the handlebar mount fitted and it would be a 30 second changeover if required. The TomTom Rider 500/550 is less than 300g, a longer Ram Mount arm or heavier Sat Nav won't work as well I'm sure. I may put a couple of small adhesive pads on the back of the Sat Nav to counter any any contact with the screen on rough roads and the screen in its lowest position. The binnacle seems strong and not stressed with it at all. Right I've bored people to death on this long enough.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:06:13 PM by XCaTel »

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics and info.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 02:51:47 PM »
Hey guyZ!
Not sure of being of any help whatsoever but I just had an idea: what about using the mirror mounting screw?
I'm certain there is enough slack in its thread as we could put a metal bracket through it. Then, tighten the mirror back and voilà! You have a bracket on which you can mount whatever you want.

I'm planning to try this to attach my gate FOB near (enough) my left thumb.
Just have to find the proper bracket (like these https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Straight-Joining-Mending-Bracket/dp/B017NC136C/ref=sr_1_8?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1531835647&sr=1-8&keywords=bracket), then paint it black for looks...

NB: There could be a problem because the mirror stems are attached down close to the handguards, but I have some vertical extensions around that would solve this (plus I'd get higher mirrors ;-).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:53:56 PM by NiK »

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »
It could be mirror stem mouned no problem with regular Ram mount fittings, I was specifically trying to raise the Sat Nav centrally above the dash rather than off-set to the side or below the on the handlebar mount. I have a regular mirror stalk Ram mount for my phone holder and that does work well. Having said that now I have mounted my Sat Nav on the binnacle I think my phone will use the central handlebar mount now.  :031:

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2016 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Ojai
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »
XCaTel, remove that packing material and buy some adhesive-backed foam rubber (they sell it in different thicknesses) and see if that works for you. It would be black so your color issue would be solved and the adhesive backing would keep it in-place, just a thought!

Recent Topics