Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Looking for Gen3 Tiger1200 high Sat nav mount.  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Fr.Mark

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Khaki Gen 3 XRT 1200
  • City / Town: Cambridgeshire
Re: Looking for Gen3 Tiger1200 high Sat nav mount.
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2018, 05:59:05 AM »
in other words, Using a phone to navigate is like using an finely honed chisel to loosen a screw!  :138:  It can do the job, but A) was not designed for this and B) could be detrimental to its function (overheat and black out)  :151: So only good when desperate  :005:
The secret of peace is not to avoid the rush and noise of the world but to live among the noise and rush and be calm yourself.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2018, 07:19:30 AM »
The answer to the phone overheating problem, which I suffered a few phones ago when I kept it in a mounted sealed case...
is to use a current model phone which is showerproof (eg my Samsung GS9) in a holder which leaves it exposed.
Though what good old Australian (or US) sun will do to the screen is anyone's guess.  Probably OK short term.

That just leaves the problems of visibility in direct or dappled sunlight, and use in rain/drizzle.

I do use my phone on my bike all the time -to listen to music, and answer phone calls.  It lives safely in my pocket inside my jacket.
As commented elsewhere here, GPS instructions from the phone without being able to see the screen, are not really good enough.

-I'm expecting admin to jump in any time now, to tell me I'm off topic.  But sometimes thread topic 'slides' prove quite useful.

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Budweiserfrogie [+]
Easier at home on wifi.
But when away for 2 weeks with no predetermined routes its not easy when relying on roaming charged data limits.
Also its not really an option on google maps to download enough areas needed to cover all options in 5 or 6 different countries.
But i think the direct sun light and overheating, causing phone shut downs was the most irritating for most on our recent trip.
At home with cooler weather google maps is mostly ok.
But didnt work out great on a big trip.

You download them before you leave home. Just choose how big an area you want then download to your google timeline and account.
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2018, 08:54:35 AM »
I've just finished mounting my Garmin Zumo 590LM on the instrument binnacle of my T1200.
I used bits & pieces I had at home to do it.
Its all pretty rough, but should suffice.  The GPS cable bundle is tucked in behind the headlight.  The USB connector from it is cable-tied to the windscreen arm, alongside my TPMS LCD.  Plenty of clearance between the windscreen and GPS, even in the low position, where clearance is worst.

Below is the view of the GPS in place.  It is very close to the top of the instrument LCD, but doesn't obscure it.  The cable from the GPS is tucked in better than it shows here.

Below is the plate I made up to hold the GPS.  It's fashioned from a thin aluminium U plate I had.  I figure doing away with the RAM mount would save weight.  I was going to leave it plain aluminium, but I found a 20 year old can of spray paint that still worked.  The spots are touch ups with felt pen, after scratching it a bit.  The plate is held on to the instrument cover with double-sided foam tape.  At the bottom is a self-tapping screw to take the strain a bit.
The plate is really a bit thin, but I'll see how it goes.

Below is a view of my crude connector setup, taking power off the powerlet connector, and leaving some terminals hanging (wrapped with tape) for other things that may come along. I wasn't happy using single spade connectors, losing the polarisation, but my local electronics store (Jaycar) didn't have T connectors.  I used some wire/spade bits off an old washing machine.  The cover is shown upside-down.  There is plenty of room behind it to tuck the connectors and extra wire.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:58:16 AM by kenw »

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2018, 10:25:46 AM »
Nice one kenw. Now if Triumph had just made that whole binnacle out of cast aluminium and extended it out a little further for a Nav mount that would of been perfect. It would have been too cost prohibitive for such low volumes though and machining something out of billet would be a bit over the top as well. Were you tempted to try and put the plate on the inside of the binnacle, was there any room?

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Athlone
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2018, 11:04:45 AM »

There are a few like this made for the Bmw Rt that look promising.
I think they coukd possibly work out fitting on top of our binnacle.
Some also have a third brace leg if needed.
This is another option I'm thinking about.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2018, 01:23:32 PM »
Looks nice. The difficulty with attaching something like this, plus the weight of the Sat Nav, is the binnacle flex though. The material is quite thin and is just attached on two hooks near the middle section and a retaining screw at the bottom. Not criticizing the Triumph design. Maybe just what 3D printing was invented for, someone might make a copy binnacle, slightly thicker or with bracing lines on the inside surface and extend it a cm or so?

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Athlone
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2018, 01:28:59 PM »
Maybe ill take it off and look into bracing a couple of strips underneath to add rigidity. And the bracket could bolt through this brace to give it a more solid mount.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2018, 01:52:40 PM »
I didn't look at putting the plate inside the binnacle, but I don't think that would work at the front.
And I couldn't be bothered taking the binnacle off.  Hence the double-sided tape and self-tapper, as opposed to nuts and bolts.
Also I thought spreading the 'connection' over the plastic to a metal plate, would reduce flex.
Club ride on Sunday, so I'll see how much it bounces then.  Will add padding only if I need to.

The powerlet fitting is of course permanently powered, so taking juice from it for the GPS won't suit those who want to use ignition-switched power on theirs.
I just turn off the GPS when stationary, unless I want it on for some reason.  One being to keep the track recording going.  Or to put in an address without starting the bike.
When I'm parked up for any time, I usually put the GPS in my locked topbox.

Offline andrewdcross

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2018, 10:45:28 PM »
I'm on a Gen 2 Explorer XCA but I borrowed the new Gen 3 model whilst mine was in for a service. I was so impressed that I am probably going to upgrade later this year. However, I love my TomTom on it's Triumph OEM mount just above the clocks. Do you guys thinks that Triumph will come up with a solution / part? or will DIY / 3rd party options be the only route for some time? Not keen on taking a drill to a £17K bike with my hamfisted DIY skills! :173:

Recent Topics