Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Final Drive Oil Leak  (Read 1024 times)

Offline mikeb

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Still Bay
Final Drive Oil Leak
« on: May 05, 2018, 08:57:54 AM »
Hi All

I have just finished a 1700 km ride and noticed oil on the garage floor after I had parked the bike. The oil was coming out the final drive boot. I cleaned the boot (inside and out)  and there is no more oil leaking.

Questions

1) Should I be worried about this?. I have heard that the entire final drive needs to be replaced, is this true?
2) To check the diff oil level can you do this on the main stand. I have done this and do not see any oil.
3) I noticed a bit of play in the back wheel, is this normal

Any advice will be appreciated

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Final Drive Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 03:44:39 PM »
On the main stand, the oil level should be roughly level with the bottom edge of the filler hole in the rear drive unit. There is a slight variation depending on whether the bike is sitting upright on its wheels, and sitting upright on the center stand.

There is at least one topic about oil in the boot going back a year or two. I think the comments at the time were that you cannot get parts for the final drive. How many miles on your bike? A bit of play is normal.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline mikeb

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 04:32:09 PM »
40,000KM

Offline TPadden

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200XC
  • City / Town: Brooksville Fl
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 12:16:47 AM »
I'll be interested in what you find out; my 13 XC also just started weeping at 50,000 miles.  Not enough to drip on the floor but definitely visible splotches thrown on the wheel and rear drive.  Seems to be coming from the center silver metal retainer. No play in the wheel or drive;

Tom
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 12:18:30 AM by TPadden »

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 05:43:53 PM »
@mikeb - what was the end of the story?

I've just noticed a seep of oil at the rubber boot on the swinging arm, at 62k miles. As far as I can tell, everyone reporting a leak in that position saw it earlier and go the bevel box replaced under guarantee or at Triumph's cost slighly after the guarantee. Unfortunately mine is a 2012. I'm going to top up the oil on Saturday to get an idea of how much is being lost. I could probably live with the odd drop, but otherwise I'll replace it with a second-hand unit.

I was surprised that there was gritty muck on the inside of the boot and the small amount of the inside of the swinging arm that I could reach. Possibly that's from fording occasional floods and rivers in 2014 (I use a different bike now), or it may be entering through the drain hole. Although there is no line of sight between the drain hole and the seal, I wonder if this could have worn the seal - and also if it has any effect on the UJ at the hinge in the swinging arm.

Offline mikeb

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 04:40:04 AM »
Hi

I cleaned it up, drained the diff oil and replaced it. Since then no leak, although I havnt done a lot of mileage since.

Offline BruceC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer XCa
  • City / Town: Solihull
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 06:55:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by mikeb [+]
Hi

I cleaned it up, drained the diff oil and replaced it. Since then no leak, although I havnt done a lot of mileage since.
Living where you do Mike, boardering Hermanus and “The Garden Route”  and not completing a lot of miles in the last 9 months is criminal. This time last year I was fortunate to ride from Pretoria to Cape Town taking in Lesotho, Drakensburg Mountains etc. Brilliant biking country.
I too suffered a slight oil leak from the rubber boot area on my previous Explorer. The dealer replaced the bevel box under warranty. Not repairable apparently.

Offline mikeb

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 07:33:36 AM »
lol, yes it is. I have done over 40k now and the nearest dealer is Cape Town so have to hope for the best.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:35:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by mikeb [+]
lol, yes it is. I have done over 40k now and the nearest dealer is Cape Town so have to hope for the best.
My wife and I are looking forward to touring in your neck of the woods in May of this year. We are hiring a GS and joining a tour from Pretoria up into Zambia through Botswana, Namibia and then down the west coast to Cape Town. 
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 09:38:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
My wife and I are looking forward to touring in your neck of the woods in May of this year. We are hiring a GS and joining a tour from Pretoria up into Zambia through Botswana, Namibia and then down the west coast to Cape Town.

Have a few good friends and a ton of awesome riding memories in South Africa... Good trip choice, good trip choice cap'n.
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Recent Topics

nonskid