Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear shock rebound damping screw.  (Read 1503 times)

Offline gebrauchtwagen83

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger explorer
  • City / Town: Epping
Rear shock rebound damping screw.
« on: May 05, 2018, 07:17:48 PM »
Hi chaps
I've bought a tiger explorer yesterday and have tried to adjust the rear rebound nut but it doesn't seem to tighten up when I turn it clockwise it just keeps clicking round. Any ideas? It does indeed click but doesnt seem to tighten so i cant set it up correctly. This is the screw located at the bottom of the shock on the near side of the bike. It just keeps turning clockwise or anti clockwise. I thought I’d just pick your brains before I have to ride the 120 miles back up the dealer.
Thanks in advance
Dan

Offline Prodded Dog

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Rotherham
Re: Rear shock rebound damping screw.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 09:06:43 PM »
Happened to me a few weeks into my ownership. KYB shock absorber.
Shaft had fractured without excessive pressure.
Replaced by Triumph under warranty.
Was always delicate with the screwdriver afterwards but new shock gave no trouble.

The Prodded Dog

Offline gebrauchtwagen83

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 09:13:01 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. Did they replace the shaft or the shock or both? I got it from a non triumph dealer so I can see I’m going to have a battle on my hands. I’ve got a 125 mile ride back there on Wednesday and then potentially a train ride home. Nightmare

Offline gebrauchtwagen83

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 10:15:44 PM »
It’s starting to look as thought adjustment screw is damaged and I’m hearing that it’s unlikely you can buy the parts seperately so I’ll have to return the bike to the dealer on Wednesday and hope they will repair or replace it but I can’t see them wanting to fork out for a new shock. If it gets ugly I’ll have to look at rejecting the bike but hope it doesn’t come to that. I want it right

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 11:08:59 PM »
Just so I’m clear.
If you turn the screw clockwise it never stops?
When I set mine up I do not remember much of a residence finding the end “all the way clockwise”.

Offline gebrauchtwagen83

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 11:13:26 PM »
Hi there . Yes it just keeps clicking round. No idea where the end is to set it correctly.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 02:22:47 PM »
What year is your Explorer? Just curious. I assume it's a first Gen.
I don't know about the UK but I think you'd be out of luck here in the US.
Maybe negotiations for a new shock at a heck of a discount "before" you ride all the way back is in order.
There are OE shocks on eBay pretty cheap the last time I looked.
The advise from plenty on this forum is to replace the OE shock anyways, even if it's working fine. Don't know if this would be a deal breaker for me.

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »
 :0461: If negotiations have no result maybe invest in a Hyperpro shock + spring :028:
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline gebrauchtwagen83

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 03:10:47 PM »
By law they have to provide a 3 month warranty with the bike. I can't really see how they can worm their way out of it. I've reported the fault within 12 hours of getting the bike. They have to make sure it's roadworthy. I've also got the ability to reject the bike under the sales of goods act if I can  prove their is a fault with the bike and the supplying dealer will not rectify it. I'd rather not go down that route because I love the bike but it's an option. Or I could just stomach the 300 quid needed for a used one

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 03:56:45 PM »
Not wanting to sound skeptical, but how many clicks did you go one way or the other?
I remember the first time I tried to adjust the rebound, I had to do lots of clicks before reaching the limit (something like 18 if I remember correctly).

Recent Topics