Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Keeping Fog Lamps on all the time?  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Massrider

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '14 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Central Mass
Keeping Fog Lamps on all the time?
« on: May 09, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
I have searched this forum and can't find an answer, I have a '14 XC with the factory fog lamps, is there a way to have them default to ON all the time? I like to have them on for conspicuity (sp?) but every time I restart the bike they are OFF. Any setting I am missing or has anyone rewired them to stay on?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Keeping Fog Lamps on all the time?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 04:40:10 PM »
Given they're advertised as foglight, there's no such mode.
Your only option would be to rewire them to a switched +12 (but you'd lose the ability to switch them off).

Offline Massrider

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »
You are right they are advertised as fog lamps but here is the USA fog lamps are only on with low/dip beam and automatically shut off with the high beam, these are actually more of a driving or daytime running lamp because they stay on even with the high beam on. I was hoping there was a setting I could change to keep them on all the time without rewiring.

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 05:41:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Given they're advertised as foglight, there's no such mode.
Your only option would be to rewire them to a switched +12 (but you'd lose the ability to switch them off).

:0461:  correct. they are not daytime running lights. you will have to do / get done custom electrical work to make them "on by default, off by choice"
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 10:17:06 PM »
I had my Givi fog lights wired into the headlight feed on my MK I so they came on with with the headlights once the engine was running but still maintained the ability to switch them off but on my MK II  the stock lights have to be switched on every time which is I believe the switch that defaults to off with no power so changing the switch may possibly resolve it for you it'll be the cheaper option anyway.

Offline Massrider

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 10:41:39 PM »
Thanks, I need to get a manual and wiring diagrams and check it out.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 12:50:59 PM »
Although they're called fog lamps most people use them as DRL's and I would argue that they are too high up to be used effectively as fog lights.

Your main headlamps don't come on until you've started the bike, this is to reduce current draw from starving the starter motor, not as big a deal on newer bikes as long as they're run regularly, but that's the reason most auxiliary lamps don't come on with the ignition.

The main concern for me is that I might be riding round without them on, not so bad when I leave out for work in a morning as I just look for four bright dots on the back of my wife's car parked just outside the garage, this is what dark coloured cars and vans were invented for, especially the nice shiny ones, it would be better if the switch button illuminated a bit brighter, the soft yellow/ green glow is hard to see in daylight, the red/ orange of the heated grips button is much easier to see and check.

I had a T800 for about three years with the same "fog" lights, so I got into the habit of switching them on as soon as the bike started  :028:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Massrider

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 01:57:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Although they're called fog lamps most people use them as DRL's and I would argue that they are too high up to be used effectively as fog lights.

Your main headlamps don't come on until you've started the bike, this is to reduce current draw from starving the starter motor, not as big a deal on newer bikes as long as they're run regularly, but that's the reason most auxiliary lamps don't come on with the ignition.

The main concern for me is that I might be riding round without them on, not so bad when I leave out for work in a morning as I just look for four bright dots on the back of my wife's car parked just outside the garage, this is what dark coloured cars and vans were invented for, especially the nice shiny ones, it would be better if the switch button illuminated a bit brighter, the soft yellow/ green glow is hard to see in daylight, the red/ orange of the heated grips button is much easier to see and check.

I had a T800 for about three years with the same "fog" lights, so I got into the habit of switching them on as soon as the bike started  :028:

Exactly my point, it is no big deal to turn them on - a simple push of the button - but remembering to do it is my problem, I forgot again this morning on my ride in to work..........

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 09:17:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
You're absolutely right in them being near useless as proper fog lamps (tried them at night under heavy fog and actually had to turn them off because they scattered way too much light upward, thus creating a wall of light preventing the headlight to cut through).
On my upcoming XRT, I'll mount cheap (still powerful) LED projectors down low (on the new small crashbars) with yellow filters to achieve better fog piercing results (and better conspicuity while I'm at it).

As for getting used to switch on the aux lights, that's what I did years ago (back in the days of my 1050 Tiger and its infamous headlight).

Offline TTruckie

• Explorer Member
  • XCa in 'fastest' White
  • Bike: Explorer XCa '16
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 03:48:03 PM »
I wanted the same but went down the easier route of fitting some Denali D2 LED dual mode auxiliary lights.  They have 2 brightens levels - one for DRL on low beam and a brighter mode on high beam.  Work a treat!
TTruckie

Recent Topics