Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Keeping Fog Lamps on all the time?  (Read 3974 times)

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
Re: Keeping Fog Lamps on all the time?
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 02:36:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Massrider [+]
Exactly my point, it is no big deal to turn them on - a simple push of the button - but remembering to do it is my problem, I forgot again this morning on my ride in to work..........

It is just a habit to get into and on my XRt I have angled them down slightly so they are not a direct beam which also helps through the twisty's at night the XRt also has the "ON" light in the clock face and not the switch so easier to see.
My whole point of having them is not for fog but to give the muppets a better chance of seeing me.

Offline Givusaclue

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer, vfr's, drz
  • City / Town: Boston
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 09:44:03 PM »
You could get them wired up through a voltage sensing relay & a fuse (obviously) this is how we wire drl's up at work, the advantage is that the lights will only come on when the alternator is charging, if it stops charging the lights go out i.e. You turn the engine off

Steve

Offline flyingz06

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Indiana
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 02:45:03 AM »
my 2017 fog lights stay on with high beam    thats they way they were from the factory

Online Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by flyingz06 [+]
my 2017 fog lights stay on with high beam    thats they way they were from the factory

That automatically makes them auxiliary Driving Lights then, true "fog" lights shouldn't be on with any other lights (though most use them with dipped beam), most popular is to use them as DRL's that are on all the time, dipped, or high beam, but unlike cars they don't come on automatically  :084:
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 01:22:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
true "fog" lights shouldn't be on with any other lights
Sorry, but every car I can think of prevents switching the fogs on if the low beam isn't on also.

Offline Massrider

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '14 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Central Mass
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 01:44:17 PM »
In the USA fog lamps can be turned off independently of the headlamps but only come on with the low (dipped) beam and turn off when switched to high beam, DRL are on all the time even with the headlamps turned off. The "Fog Lamps" on the explorer will stay on with either high or low beam - which I would consider a running lamp - but it makes no sense that they need to be turned on every time you restart the bike.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 05:01:23 PM »
In South Australia, and maybe the other states, its illegal to drive with fog lights on unless in a fog.
That's the case for cars, so I suppose its the same for bikes.
I don't know that the fog lights make very good running lights, because they are so narrowly focused in the vertical plane that they 'disappear' as the bike dips up or down over slight hills.
They really need a change in the lenses to be used as day time running lights or helpers with high beam.

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 10:02:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
In South Australia, and maybe the other states, its illegal to drive with fog lights on unless in a fog.
That's the case for cars, so I suppose its the same for bikes.
I don't know that the fog lights make very good running lights, because they are so narrowly focused in the vertical plane that they 'disappear' as the bike dips up or down over slight hills.
They really need a change in the lenses to be used as day time running lights or helpers with high beam.

That's the same as in the UK and here in NZ and although I have known people to get pulled for having fog lights on its never been on a bike. I have a friend here who's a cop and thinks mine are great as I can be seen a long way off which I believe is the general attitude with most cops especially as there are so many vehicles now with LED running lights.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 09:22:37 AM »
Anyone know how to interpret CE markings?
Recently I read somewhere (maybe this forum?) that the fog lights don't have the CE mark thats specifically for foglights so in theory they are legal to use as auxiliary DRLs.
They are of course CE marked but differently to fog lights so meet some other CE criteria.

Online Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 12:54:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Anyone know how to interpret CE markings?
Recently I read somewhere (maybe this forum?) that the fog lights don't have the CE mark thats specifically for foglights so in theory they are legal to use as auxiliary DRLs.
They are of course CE marked but differently to fog lights so meet some other CE criteria.

CE marking shows that the item complies with relevant standards and is manufactured accordingly, somewhere and in the case of mass produced items it will be in the QA department's bottom drawer there will be a compliance statement listing which standards apply and how the item meets the requirements, in the retail world an item that is sold separately in any EU member state will have a scrap of paper, or details printed on the box listing said standards, or the most relevant ones and bearing the CE mark. I'm not aware of a specific standard just for "fog lamps", fog lights & DRL's have a diffuse light so that they can be seen more easily and spread light out over a short distance, driving lights have a focussed beam to give a narrower beam, but over a longer distance, so the beam pattern may be described in the CE mark, but not necessarily whether they are for fog, or DRL's ?

Fog lights in the UK must also only be used in poor visibility (fog, or fine rain/ road spray), however it is normally only enforced for rear fog lights on cars because they tend to dazzle and annoy other road users, about 10-15 years ago it became trendy to use front fog lights amongst boy racer types because they are low down and make the car look lower and sportier, now it's 50/50 whether cars use dipped headlights (or DRL's), or use fog lights, or a combination of the two because it iz cool innit. Talking with Police and Fire services they honestly don't care for bikes as long as you're not dazzling people, they would rather you are doing as much as possible to be seen by other road users.

Yes, many cars will allow the use of fog lights with dipped beam, or will only switch on with dipped beam, some more recent cars use their "fog lights" as cornering lights to light up a kerb to aid the driver. The original design was to spread a diffuse light along and close to the ground to illuminate the road directly in front of a car because lights higher up and especially high power full beam lights "bounced back" (refraction off the water droplets in fog/ mist) reducing visibility, things have moved on somewhat since the 70's and modern car lights have developed much more since that original design remit.

Massrider
Yes, but when did common sense come into it, I'm not entirely sure, but don't the latest 1200's have auxiliary LED lights, virtually the same as the older fog lights that are used as DRL's and come on with the dipped beam ? i.e. they come on full time as the bike is started once the ignition/ starter is satisfied, so they don't add to the current draw while starting, hopefully Triumph and others will catch on sooner, rather than later.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:59:48 PM by Dilbert »
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Recent Topics

nonskid