Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New PR4 Trails just fitted - lovely!  (Read 1470 times)

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
New PR4 Trails just fitted - lovely!
« on: May 17, 2018, 09:08:57 PM »
Just been for a 160 mile thrash round Devon, on all sorts of dry roads, and the new PR4trails are lovely. Well, all new tyres are good, right? Compared to the squared off old ones.

But the PR4 Trail seems a bit stiffer and doesn't squirm like the Next did.

Yet to ride them in the wet, but they are reputed to be good in the wet.

I didn't want to wait for the PR5.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline McCrae72

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger explorer XRX
Re: New PR4 Trails just fitted - lovely!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 09:47:59 PM »
Cool.
I think I may go Michelin when my Nexts are dead, not that the Pirelli’s have done anything wrong they just aren’t right....and very vague. Also unpredictable turn in.
Got 6 days in Belgium in July so hopefully after that maybe the PR5 trail will be available.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 09:53:52 PM »
Just stuck a set of Continental TKC 70's on today following a flat earlier in the week. So far, they just feel like good tyres.  Had Conti Attack Trail 2 on before. Were fine but went very flat across the tread. And then ultimately extremely flat as the air made an escape. Doh.

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 12:57:57 AM »
PR4 Trails are the tires I loved on my Gen-1 TEx.   As a sporty (always on-road) rider, I loved the way they handled the twisty roads.

Although I have no qualms with the Metzelers that came on my Gen-3, I may try PR4's for this bike too.   
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Leicester
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 03:14:00 AM »
I've had the Trail on the front and GT on the rear, now done about 200 miles of perfectly dry roads and the difference between these and the Next's is quite noticeable.

The  Next's felt vague compared to the PR4's, they turn in quicker and I just feel I can be more accurate with my lines.

I had them on my T800 which felt a lot better in the dry but in the wet they were just outstanding.   :152:

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 12:56:18 PM »
I had a new PR4 Trail front put on due to a puncture a couple of months ago, the rear PR4 Trail that was fitted last July has recently become a bit thin on tread (7-8,000miles) and the softer compound bits have started tearing up, probably helped along by a couple of 500 miles jaunts with pillion and luggage and another two up in N Wales a couple of weeks ago, so I've had another PR4 rear till the front wears out, my tyre fitter couldn't get the Trail, so I've got a Standard version rear, looks and feels exactly the same, but supposedly has a wider band of the softer compound.

The rear shock definitely needs an upgrade before I do much more two-up riding, the spring and damping just aren't strong enough, this puts a lot more weight/ load onto the rear tyre, so I'm surprised it's done so well really.

They are excellent in the wet and as good as most in the dry, a perfect year round tyre, especially for commuting, talking to my tyre fitter today and he says the R5's are getting good reviews, saying "nobody has a bad word to say of them", which for a Stokie is high praise indeed  :001: 

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »
Dilbert
Changing your shock and fork springs will transform your bike!
Just do it. ;)

Offline Rolo

• Explorer Member
  • Life is a roller coaster - 'Just gotta Ride it!'
  • Bike: Explorer XRx 2017
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 07:27:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
Just been for a 160 mile thrash round Devon, on all sorts of dry roads, and the new PR4trails are lovely. Well, all new tyres are good, right? Compared to the squared off old ones.

But the PR4 Trail seems a bit stiffer and doesn't squirm like the Next did.

Yet to ride them in the wet, but they are reputed to be good in the wet.

I didn't want to wait for the PR5.

Hi TotnesSteve,

After putting up with the absolutely shocking set of OEM Tourance Nexts for 3500 miles I can't wait till the spring and so I'm getting my PR4 Trails fitted on Friday. Can you kindly advise what pressures you're running them at on your XRx for 'spirited' road riding?

Thanks,

Rolo
✌️

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 07:46:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rolo [+]
Hi TotnesSteve,

After putting up with the absolutely shocking set of OEM Tourance Nexts for 3500 miles I can't wait till the spring and so I'm getting my PR4 Trails fitted on Friday. Can you kindly advise what pressures you're running them at on your XRx for 'spirited' road riding?

Thanks,

Rolo

I've never had a problem with 36F and 42R
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 07:58:40 PM »
Keeping on the Michelin theme I have just tried Road 5 Trails on my bike and they are really excellent tyres. They have less sipes than 4's and theoretically that means a little more rubber on the road. I have a 4 on the rear of another bike and it too is excellent.  The 5 turns a little quicker than the 4 imho.

Recent Topics

nonskid