Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New PR4 Trails just fitted - lovely!  (Read 1819 times)

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
Re: New PR4 Trails just fitted - lovely!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 08:28:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rolo [+]
Hi TotnesSteve,

After putting up with the absolutely shocking set of OEM Tourance Nexts for 3500 miles I can't wait till the spring and so I'm getting my PR4 Trails fitted on Friday. Can you kindly advise what pressures you're running them at on your XRx for 'spirited' road riding?

Thanks,

Rolo

Hi Rolo, i do more "steady as she goes" riding, but i use 34/40 for one-up, 160lb rider, no luggage, and there seems to be even wear after 2000 miles. There seems as many opinions about this as there are members of this forum.

The tyres seem stiffer than the Metzeler, which seemed to squirm a bit.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 08:36:08 PM »
One thing is worth discussing: how well the tyres do at walking pace, and in slow u-turns.

I practice this a lot, because the bike scared me with its weight, so i wanted to get really familiar with the way it behaved at slow speed.

Ive found the PR4s really good for this. Of course, the newer the tyre, the better it will do, but even so, they are good.

I'm trying to get to full-lock figures of eight. Nearly there!

Might post some bikecam to prove (or disprove) it.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline Rolo

• Explorer Member
  • Life is a roller coaster - 'Just gotta Ride it!'
  • Bike: Explorer XRx 2017
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »
Thanks mjab, TotnesSteve,
The OEM Nexts official figures were 34/39 I think, maybe that's half the problem of them being shagged (particularly the front) after 3000 miles?? 🤔

A compromise  between your two scores seems fair. mjabs levels for 'playing' and Steves for touring with luggage methinks?

Cheers Chaps

Rolo
✌️

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 09:22:42 AM »
The OEM Nexts official figures were 34/39 I think, maybe that's half the problem of them being shagged (particularly the front) after 3000 miles?? 🤔
That could very well be the case.
As soon as I took my XRT, I deleted the recommended pressure from my memory and applied my usual 2.4/2.9 bars F/R pattern.
So far, the mileage, wear, agility and noise are acceptable.
It won't prevent me from replacing them with PR4s at the soonest, though.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 10:23:12 AM »
Thanks mjab, TotnesSteve,

A compromise  between your two scores seems fair. mjabs levels for 'playing' and Steves for touring with luggage methinks?

Cheers Chaps

Rolo

The original Nexts' recommended pressures were 32/39 for Gen-2's.

As for being shagged at 3,000 miles - there is another thread on here about the wear rate on front Next's fitted to some Gen-2's (mine being one of them), whereby the front tyre wore out and blistered on one side around the 4k miles mark (on average) - mine was out of tread and blistered by 4,250 miles. Many (like me) have complained to Metzler about this, who have often stumped up the price of replacing the front tyre. I suspect that there may have been a batch whereby something wasn't quite right in manufacture.

I replaced both mine with PR4 trails - and am very happy with those. Am running 32/39 in those, used for solo, two up and touring and not had an issue, handling and grip has been perfect and both tyres still have plenty of tread on them some 4,500 miles later, the rear is just starting to square off now.

Offline Rolo

• Explorer Member
  • Life is a roller coaster - 'Just gotta Ride it!'
  • Bike: Explorer XRx 2017
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 12:45:40 PM »
Thanks Nick & Hawkeye,

That’s very helpful & reassuring.
I’m looking forward to scrubbing the varnish off (and tipping it in to a corner without having to wrestle it) on Friday.

Rolo
✌️

Recent Topics

nonskid