Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 Tex XRx keyless start and electronics  (Read 3452 times)

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: 2018 Tex XRx keyless start and electronics
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 04:33:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by TPadden [+]
...... and as time goes on the bikes those security protocols protect are worth less and less.  I can pretty much park my older bikes anywhere I want with keys in the ignition.    :745:

Tom
Probably true. By the time my TEX is collectible, gasoline will no longer be available.  :038:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline TPadden

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200XC
  • City / Town: Brooksville Fl
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2018, 04:34:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I seriously doubt that you would ever be able to CNC print a connecting rod, bearing, camshaft, crankshaft, piston or engine block etc. etc.

Don't tell me Alexis Ren is an impossibility too!  :005: :012:

Tom

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I seriously doubt that you would ever be able to CNC print a connecting rod, bearing, camshaft, crankshaft, piston or engine block etc. etc.

Some can be done, some are done. I'm pretty sure crankshafts and con rods are out of scope, but camshafts would be a good candidate since additive manufacture (Stellite spray) has been used for repairs for a long time. I got my CB250RSA camshaft sprayed and reprofiled by Joy Engineering back in 1986, pretty cheaply. Of course this was a combination of additive and subtractive manufacture, but it seems pointless to restrict to using only one technique. Crank-case: I have an idea I saw this being used for some exotic car recently, but can't track it down. However this Bugatti titanium brake caliper is a good example of what can be done.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 05:33:14 PM »
Surely, with something like a camshaft, you have to start with the correct alloy stock and mill it and then harden it and then grind it to tolerances. I get that it is possible to do that with a large commercial machine shop. But I highly doubt that the shed enthusiast would ever be able to do this.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2018, 09:29:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
However this Bugatti titanium brake caliper is a good example of what can be done.
VERY impressive!

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2018, 01:13:52 PM »
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:15:48 PM by Tiger T.O. »
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline ChrisN

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger1200XCa
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2018, 09:51:15 AM »
"Alexa, print me a Triumph XCa…..."

my Explorer XCx now lives in Tenerife

Offline Fr.Mark

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Khaki Gen 3 XRT 1200
  • City / Town: Cambridgeshire
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 09:02:12 PM »
Tiger T.O. I fear you signature misses the point!  ‘ The glass can always be refilled!!!  At least that is what the T1200 does to the grin on my face.  Re fobs etc I am sure the pneumatic tyre was less relaible in certain contexts than the solid tyre. Likewise an indicator bulb is more likely to fail than my arm fall off when I stick it out.  Did an intersting tour of the factory last week.  Lots of Rocket 3 engine parts visible, on a model that has been out of production for over a year.  Make of it what you will? Also when the question of hybrid/electric drive was mentioned a feeble response was given that alluded to watching the car industry closely and letting them do the initial development.  Given the evasive answer and the speed that electric is growing in the car sector I am sure something will emerge in the next decade  :164:
The secret of peace is not to avoid the rush and noise of the world but to live among the noise and rush and be calm yourself.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 06:19:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fr.Mark [+]
Also when the question of hybrid/electric drive was mentioned a feeble response was given that alluded to watching the car industry closely and letting them do the initial development.  Given the evasive answer and the speed that electric is growing in the car sector I am sure something will emerge in the next decade  :164:
Can you imagine the weight of a hybrid/electric Rocket III?  :033:

Offline Fr.Mark

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Khaki Gen 3 XRT 1200
  • City / Town: Cambridgeshire
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 07:23:52 PM »
Heavily disguided road test fail for hybrid Rocket III :008:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/834/cpsprodpb/D83F/production/_102395355_ll.jpg
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:25:58 PM by Fr.Mark »
The secret of peace is not to avoid the rush and noise of the world but to live among the noise and rush and be calm yourself.

Recent Topics