Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED indicators  (Read 2671 times)

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: LED indicators
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 04:26:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by CanadianTEX416 [+]
so i was looking at my friends super ten, the LED indicators on that are look almost exactly the same as the triumph ones, would even bolt onto the Tiger....they even look almost identical to the ones pictured by triumph

but my biggest issue with this whole this is even on the triumph Canada sit, it clearly states in the specs or description or whatever "ALL LED LIGHTING", and in the pictures they also have the LED ones on there. So ive sent an email off to triumph north america this time about this, including what there web site says, and we shall see what they come back with, because best believe i plan on fighting this

the fact that i can buy the LED indicator kit FROM TRIUMPH through the dealership for a few hundred dollars, is complete BS, there is no reason they couldn't have been installed

i know its not a huge item to get upset about, but when you pay $23k and change plus tax and PDI and all that jazz for a bike, that was advertised and shown to be one way, and you get it another....call me crazy but i think its a little rediculous

Again, what possible incentive would Triumph corporate have to sub out the LED signal lights if they were not forced to do so by some arcane DOT rule? I'm sensing a little buyer's remorse here...  :155:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CanadianTEX416

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 T12 XCA
  • City / Town: Cold Lake
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 05:02:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Again, what possible incentive would Triumph corporate have to sub out the LED signal lights if they were not forced to do so by some arcane DOT rule? I'm sensing a little buyer's remorse here...  :155:

i really dont know, but thats what i am trying to find out through email correspondence to Triumph, i can speculate all day about why they did what they did, but until i have official word it just seems a little wonky because the same signal lights can be purchased separately and installed on your bike lol

as for buyers remorse, most certainly not, i love this bike, dont regret choosing the tiger at all, Rides Great, Looks Great, Sounds Great, and has what id say is a more than fair Range for the tank size (i get about 350km on the flat roads around here)
2018 Tiger 12, XCA

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 05:29:49 PM »
You said that they 'tried to throw some regulation at me'. What exactly did they tell you?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CanadianTEX416

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 06:11:37 PM »
You said that they 'tried to throw some regulation at me'. What exactly did they tell you?

sorry i worded that very poorly, the person on the phone said there must be some sort of regulation stopping them from putting them on the bikes in north america, so a little less then helpful, at that time i didn't realize that you could order the LED signal kit for the bikes, or i would have had a bit longer of a conversation trying to get a proper answer or perhaps even just being sent a set (i know im dreaming LOL) so i just kind of accepted it.... but then the thought kind of stirred up in my head and i began looking into things because i thought it was a little weird, after doing some looking into it is when i discovered that i could buy the LED indicators, and that its advertised on the triumph Canada site as all LED, and before someone asks, i looked up and down on the site looking for somewhere that it says the LED incdicators are not available in NA

now i know the US and Canada have different regulations when it comes to things like this, perhaps they are simply following what the US regulation is for Canada as well?....i really dont know, but i have since sent off an email so i can have a paper trail and maybe get a more solid answer on the matter

like i said above, its not the biggest thing to get upset about, id just like them, and what i paid for
2018 Tiger 12, XCA

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 08:16:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by CanadianTEX416 [+]
now i know the US and Canada have different regulations when it comes to things like this, perhaps they are simply following what the US regulation is for Canada as well?....
That would be my guess. And since there is no 'Triumph Canada' I would bet money on it.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 04:43:25 PM »
FYI, the following comment from a recent Gen3 owner may shed some light (sorry) on why the LED turn signals did not make it to North America:

- The over fashioned LED blinkers are small and less visible from the sides. Do you remember what they're made for?

Full review here:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17230.0.html

Offline CanadianTEX416

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 01:32:54 AM »
still havent gotten a reply from the Triumph after sales emails or anything, phone call will be happening soon

really would at least like something back from them
2018 Tiger 12, XCA

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 10:47:26 AM »
Sorry, this is no comfort or solution but............

The difference between publicity, brochures etc and what the bike actually has fitted is covered by a catch-all get out clause in Triumph's small print. And it's something that isn't unique to Triumph - other makes have the same problem & solution. In short it says they reserve the right to alter specifications without notice.

Its an issue that's arisen with the previous incarnations of the Explorer and other Triumph models too, and causes a steady flow of negative comments. (I'm afraid to admit when I read them I sigh & say "here we go again" to myself)

The core of the problem is different nations (and in some countries even different states) failing to agree on common standards. Fortunately some countries will accept other's equivalent regulations but others do not - often for trivial local political reasons like keeping their bureaucrats in work, or simple egotistical pride that their regulations must be unique & better than anyone else's.

With turn signals it not just a question of LED or not. Position, height, spacing apart, colour & size all come into play in different combinations in different countries. In addition there's the issue of having to get everything approved by different bureaucrats.

The result is for manufacturers it's simpler to have a catch-all get out clause in your small print - or in some cases if the volume of sales is small just not to sell certain products in some countries.

In my view don't blame the manufacturers if you can't get what you want, blame the bureaucrats!

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 04:26:40 PM »
That's true. I noticed that recent publicity for the all-new Honda Gold Wing included disclaimers that stated that the pictured bikes were factory test units and not production models. "...may be subject to change without notice" is standard on just about every product announcement these days.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »
FYI, the following comment from a recent Gen3 owner may shed some light (sorry) on why the LED turn signals did not make it to North America:

Full review here:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17230.0.html
That would be my comment and I stand my ground!
I like design and fashion, but when it comes to road safety, one's got to get feet back on the ground. Turn signals are made for politeness (like knocking before opening a door) but above all safety. I'm absolutely sure that it is now possible to design small, sexy, LED turn signals that won't be a setback in safety. This is sadly not the case on my brand new €20k+ bike. Come on Triumph, get a NiK on board before releasing new bikes ;-)

Now read this because it ain't happening everyday: the US regulation is right and the EU's is wrong (for this specific matter that is ;-)

Recent Topics

nonskid