Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 6500 Mile (?10K km) Service not in the manual  (Read 344 times)

Offline wb416

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '17 Explorer XCx
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
6500 Mile (?10K km) Service not in the manual
« on: May 22, 2018, 04:46:54 PM »
Been riding the 2017 TEX XCx a bit since I got it back from the initial 500 mile service in February.  Now display is indicating there is a service interval in 150 miles (6500 miles). 

I looked in the service manual and only see the Initial 500 mile, the 10,000 mile, and the annual (and all the multiples of course), but I don't see anything for 6500 miles.

What is this service supposed to be for?

The version of the manual I have is the Triumph Motorcycles North America.

Thanks!
'17 Tiger Explorer XCx
'11 Suzuki Vstrom 650
'79 Suzuki GS1000

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: 6500 Mile (?10K km) Service not in the manual
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 05:22:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by wb416 [+]
Been riding the 2017 TEX XCx a bit since I got it back from the initial 500 mile service in February.  Now display is indicating there is a service interval in 150 miles (6500 miles). 

I looked in the service manual and only see the Initial 500 mile, the 10,000 mile, and the annual (and all the multiples of course), but I don't see anything for 6500 miles.

What is this service supposed to be for?

The version of the manual I have is the Triumph Motorcycles North America.

Thanks!
The service interval is set by your dealer, who clearly wants you to visit more often.  :155:

If you would like to get control over the reminder, search TigerTool on this forum.  :001:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline wb416

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '17 Explorer XCx
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:44:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
The service interval is set by your dealer, who clearly wants you to visit more often.  :155:

If you would like to get control over the reminder, search TigerTool on this forum.  :001:

Thanks.  Cable ordered and V2 downloaded.
'17 Tiger Explorer XCx
'11 Suzuki Vstrom 650
'79 Suzuki GS1000

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 04:30:06 PM »
Another issue to consider is that they probably used the service sheet for a bike with a 6000m interval - I've seen that before. Check that they changed the oil in the bevel drive, as that wouldn't appear on the checklist. Also when you bring it in for the 10k service, make sure they used the right sheet, as the sheet used for most Triumphs with 6k services doesn't specify a change of air filter, which should be done on the TEX.

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
The dealer has obviously set the service for 6000 miles after the initial one, without checking the actual service sheet. Another reason I do my own servicing. I personally use Dealertool to access the ECU. I imagine it works the same as Tigertool

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 08:16:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
The dealer has obviously set the service for 6000 miles after the initial one, without checking the actual service sheet. Another reason I do my own servicing. I personally use Dealertool to access the ECU. I imagine it works the same as Tigertool
In the automotive world, it is common that dealers set their own service schedules irrespective of what the manufacturer states in their own schedules and owner manuals. Some new car dealers have their owners coming in four times a year for service, which they insist is "recommended".

This dealer may have decided that the average mileage ridden is 6000 miles (or one year) so that it the typical service interval.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid