Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Keyless Battery Warning  (Read 597 times)

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
Keyless Battery Warning
« on: May 23, 2018, 02:39:19 PM »
I got my first keyless battery warning! Yay?!  :027:

Got the bike on 3rd Feb and have done just over 3000 miles. To be fair I've left the key on LOADS of times by mistake, once for a whole week. I cleared the message and it has not come back. This was a couple of weeks ago so maybe it was just having a little spat. I'm going to leave it to the last possible moment and report back so we can get a good idea how long the battery lasts.

For reference the manual says to take it to a dealer to replace, but I had a look and it is fairly easy to pop it out. You do not need to remove the 3 screws inside, just the one on the outside. And you must take it off your key ring to get the back cover off. The battery is a 3V CR2032 Lithium Battery, just the one.

The best way to take it out is to get a long tipped very thin screwdriver and place it between the two small plastic notches. Then gently ease it out whilst pushing down on the battery. If you don't push down on the battery it won't be able to clear the two plastic notches. There's a small gap for a screwdriver but it has to be long and thin to get under the battery. Be careful it doesn't take a lot of force to come out, so if you are really having to apply pressure something is wrong.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
Re: Keyless Battery Warning
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 03:19:55 PM »

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 03:47:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]

I bloody checked for forum posts as well... Obviously didn't look hard enough! Did the site:www.tiger-explorer.com in google, nothing came up about keyless batteries..

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 08:55:00 PM »
I don't understand why you have to turn off the Tiger1200 fob between uses.
My Subaru Outback fob doesn't have any means for turning it off.  Had it over a year so far, and no sign of it going flat.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 09:22:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
I don't understand why you have to turn off the Tiger1200 fob between uses.
My Subaru Outback fob doesn't have any means for turning it off.  Had it over a year so far, and no sign of it going flat.
It's for Security, not to save the battery necessarily. You are sitting there in the window of Starbucks and some oik comes along, starts you bike parked out the front and rides off. That's why, however unlikely it is with the 3 ft range!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »
Transponder keys have been batteryless for years on cars (and bikes as an immobilizer feature).
I believe that the powered "key" is designed to extend the range of the transponder to make it more convenient than having to pass it near the left rear side of the bike.
We're all seeing how convenient it is now not to have a physical key, but a damn additional fob (along with the alarm) that we now have to manage several times a day!

Yet another solution to an imaginary problem turned into a real problem. Thank you marketing guys!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 04:18:31 PM »
I was VERY happy to have the fob integrated into the physical key on my 2017 Subaru. One less lump in my pocket and an all-in-one solution.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline supernac

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2014 XC
  • City / Town: Springfield
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 08:50:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
It's for Security, not to save the battery necessarily. You are sitting there in the window of Starbucks and some oik comes along, starts you bike parked out the front and rides off. That's why, however unlikely it is with the 3 ft range!

You can get repeaters to amplify the signal allowing you to start it some distance away. Most vehicles will keep running even if it detects the key is not in range (for safety concerns) so a thief could simply ride off. An off switch would make this impossible, good idea really.

Offline Villager

• Explorer Pro
  • 2017 XRx
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
  • City / Town: The Village
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 11:52:49 PM »
Seems the Triumph keyless transmitter is a bit power hungry and it's a shame you need a tool to get at the battery to change it.

The batteries are easy to get at pound shops or Ebay. My Explorer is not keyless but my other bike is. I have taped a spare battery under the seat. I have also learnt where to hold the fob if the battery does go flat - if they are close enough they still work as a conventional, unpowered immobiliser thing. On my other bike the receiver is near the divide in the rider/pillion seat. No idea about the Explorer. The other bike is 20 months old and still using the original battery so not sure why Triumph batteries go flat after 3 months, especially if you can turn them off.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 09:15:23 AM »
Same on the 1200 Tiger. Underside of the separation between rider/pillion seats.

A bit fiddly to activate though. I wouldn't use it this way everyday.

Recent Topics

nonskid