Author Topic: Rear brake master cylinder rebuild  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Rear brake master cylinder rebuild
on: May 24, 2018, 10:51:06 AM
I've only had my Gen 1 Tex since October. But having done nearly 10k on it, the only thing I had to complain about was the rear brake. It was pretty much useless. Now I am a big lad, but fully loaded and two up the brake should cope with the weight. With only me on the bike I'd have expected it to stop. I replaced the pads and serviced the rear caliper and all was found to be OK. With a big trip coming up, I decided to strip the master cylinder and take a peek inside. Glad I did. It was full of gunk and rather corroded too. The seals on the piston were in poor condition too allowing fluid to just push past them. This morning I put a seal kit in, popped it back together and hit it with the vacuum bleeder. I put a new clevis pin in as well as there seemed to be quite a bit of play on the linkage at that point.

The result? I actually had the ABS cut in before I'd left the end of the drive. Never had that operate ever since getting the bike. The pedal is very smooth and progressive, but pushed down firmly stops the bike dead. I tried a stall test too and it was clear that I wasn't going to be able to pull away against the brake.  Very pleased and can't wait to get out for a spin. I have ordered a replacement (second hand) body which I'll swap out on my return just because I like things to be right. Really easy job, 2 or three tools. Even easier if you just swap the complete MC instead.

Maybe I won't eat so many front pads now.

Offline dr268

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Saintfield
Re: Rear brake master cylinder rebuild
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 03:58:28 PM
I realise this is an old thread but its the only one I can find that the author rebuilt the master cylinder

Simple question for Stillwobbling or anyone who has done the job feel free to answer

when you disconnect the rear master cylinder brake line does this cause any issues with fluid loss and the ABS pump or is it a simple standard rebleed after wards ?

Mine is a Gen 3, back brake is crap as seems to be the case with many others, I have bled it as most do which improved it but still garbage and no real bite.

So my aim is to fit a master cylinder kit and see how it goes but dont want any avoidable issues.

Any specific place to get the kit or just get the triumph T2020031 ?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Rear brake master cylinder rebuild
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 08:34:09 AM
Mine was done under warranty (about to expire at the time).
If your bike has a clean history, you may ask Triumph for a goodwill gesture!

nonskid