Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitting a Main stand to an XRX-Low  (Read 496 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Fitting a Main stand to an XRX-Low
« on: May 25, 2018, 08:11:57 PM »
Ever since I bought my XRX-Low back in 2016, it's bugged me that it came without a main stand. As a temporary measure I fitted one off a non-Low which when used in conjunction with a small ramp (to run the rear wheel up onto) gave me a main stand, albeit a PITA to use, whilst I looked into the why's and wherefore's of adapting a full size main stand.

Note at this point that Triumph do not support fitting a mainstand on the "low's", why I'm not sure, but I guess they have their reasons. I've had a full size mainstand fitted for the last 4,500 miles and not had an issue with touching or the suchlike, and although my wife and I have toured on my Tex (again no issue), I don't ride like Kevin Carmichael either so no doubt Triumph have their reasons. So this thread just documents what I did to get a mainstand on my Low, and I make no claims, take no responsibility or otherwise if anyone should choose to do a similar mod.

Well (finally) the deed is done and I now have a mainstand on my XRX-Low which I can use without the use of ramps or any other sort of aid! It's taken a while deliberating how and where to make the cuts, as, if you look at the Tex mainstand, it's a little complex in terms of different angles of metal, also it has to clear the TSAS Rear Shock.

The breakthrough for me was the assistance of Theo (T.O Tiger) whose help was absolutely invaluable, and the final design and cut was based on information he found out and forwarded to me - so a big big thanks to Theo for that, as otherwise I'd still be deliberating.

I've included a set of pictures below so you can see where the cuts were made. Essentially I took 32mm out of each leg either side, just below the cross bar, and then welded it all back together - hopefully the pictures speak for themselves. Everything still "hits" on the bump stops OK, the only change (barely noticeable) is that the Tang has moved in 6mm (as where you cut the leg on the "spring" side, the down stanchion is slightly angled) - however there is still plenty of clearance off the shaft drive. The kick down (tang) get a little closer to the side stand end when both stands are up - but nowhere near enough to cause issues (I would guess though if you did a similar mod on a non-low with a full size side stand, it's possible you may need to shorten the side stand, especially if you lowered by 40mm (about the same as the XRX-Low is lower then its big brother as standard).

By reducing the height below the cross bar enabled all the fixing points to be retained without change, including the springs - very happy with that.

Rear wheel when on the stand is about 25-30mm off the ground - just right.

Anyway, here's the pictures - the masking tape is where the cuts were made. Only change I had to make apart from cutting some metal out of the legs was to use a shorter (30mm) bolt for fixing the springs to the mainstand (as there is not room for the standard 45mm one). This fits easily enough if you hold the stand up whilst screwing down the allen bolt.

And if you are wondering - the Gen-1 stand does fit the Gen-2 (I only found that out after I bought a complete new stand.....)

If you have the full size Tex and use lowering links, then for 40mm lowering I would imagine a similar cut in the mainstand would work but you'd need to check. For 20mm lowering, you need to do the maths to work out how much to cut out.

Anyway here's the pictures, first one is the standard stand against the cut down one.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:15:20 PM by Hawkeye »

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Re: Fitting a Main stand to an XRX-Low
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
Few more piccies - first one is the finished stand when cut down
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:16:55 PM by Hawkeye »

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 08:14:13 PM »
Last 3 pictures

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 10:21:25 PM »
Wow that looks really nice  :028: :037:

As there is a little gap in the triangle does it not give too much torque on the lever when you put in on the stand?

Cheers,

Theo
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 10:41:36 PM »
Hi Theo

I don't think so, as where we cut the upper bar and lowered it, that now is welded completely along the tang (and the down tube welded inside as well, so arguably it should be stronger than before - although I guess in the fullness of time I'll either be proved right or wrong! In all honesty, the bike just rolls up onto the main stand, I'm so pleased with it (although my wife thinks I've lost my mind being so happy about a main stand being fitted LOL). I was going to trim the remainder (where the bump stop goes onto the shaft drive), but have decided - at least for the time being - to leave as is, "just in case" we do need to put any additional strengthener in (but hopefully not)

Really very very happy with the way it turned out  :031: Thanks again for your help buddy, really very much appreciated, I owe you a drink or three

Recent Topics