Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: No oil change till 10,000 miles?  (Read 6085 times)

Offline 13volunteer

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
No oil change till 10,000 miles?
« on: May 27, 2018, 03:55:49 PM »
My '15 TEX has ~4,000 miles on it.  I had the break in oil change and then a year later had an oil change at 3,000 miles.  I bought it new the summer of '16.

The mechanic said I can wait till the 10,000 mile service for the next oil change but I'm old school, viz. my mind tells me every 3,000 miles.  That's how I treat my cages.

What say ye?  How often do you change the oil?

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Re: No oil change till 10,000 miles?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 04:03:51 PM »
3000 miles? No way. If I change oil it would be annually at most. Changing out expensive synthetic oil would achieve nothing except lose you money

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 04:21:36 PM »
....... my mind tells me every 3,000 miles.  That's how I treat my cages.

I'm a bit funny about oil so I'm with you. It can something reveal things at an early stage that you were not aware of.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 04:51:14 PM »
Sounds like you are riding 3000 miles per year. Triumph specifies an oil change at 10k miles or annually, whichever comes first.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 05:21:47 PM »
I would do once a year because it sounds like you are not going to hit the 10K in a year.   

I have not trusted the oil change intervals that the manufactures call for.   (For those who have been in big business they know that while the engineering department comes up with a recommendation it isn't always followed if the sales/PR departments need a "different spec" for some fool reason. )  Bike makers also know that 95% of the bikes on the road will die from age and not from being worn out so I trust but verify. 

I had a S1000XR which wanted 6K changes and I didn't trust that.  I did oil analysis and kept pushing the mileage to see where it really would last.  That motor could do about 5K but that was pushing it because of the shearing going on.  I don't know how the Tiger is going to be on oil but I am going to dump and do an analysis at around 4500 (because it will be about 5K on the odometer and I like round numbers.)   If it looks good I will go more but I won't just push 10K out of the blue.  I have 3.3K on the bike now so another month or two I should have an answer.   I will post the analysis reports when I get them.   

People can speculate and theorize but I am a "show me the data" guy.  Keep in mind though that will only apply to how I ride and the climate I am in but it will give you a general idea. 

On my cars it depends on which one.  My 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner and 70 Chevy Nova SS beat the hell out of the oil and it is done at 3K, my 2014 Ford Explorer I do 5-6K oil changes.    A lot of how long you run the oil depends on the motor.  Oil is better than it was 40 years ago but the engines are also different.  Better machining and metallurgy don't contaminate the oil like the older machines.

Offline Rayray

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer xox 2016
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 10:00:57 PM »
Hi think 10k would be ok for long motorway miles day in day out, but probably pushing it,oil technology has needed to be more advanced because of modern design engines and exhaust filtration systems tolerence levels are so tight now as are emission levels, trucks have been running Euro 6 now for nearly 3 years, oil spec and routine changes are imperative, minimum yearly,I’ve seen oil taken out of trucks that have been over due, left in the drain trays overnight you would be shocked at the condition of the oil,like jelly, my bikes are changed yearly approx 3-5k semi synthetic unless they have been thrashed then twice yearly  :152:

Online Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 10:13:26 PM »
I change the engine oil in my '12 model every 5,000 miles and change the rear diff every other oil change. If it weren't for the fact that it's stable is heated & cooled, it would get changed at the end of every riding season, regardless of miles...
Jon

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 11:40:14 AM »
I've always changed oil according to the manufacturer specs.
We're talking one '97 Steamer, one Tiger 1050 and three 1215 Tigers.
Doing 20,000 km a year, the service interval was one of my main buying factors.

16,000 km sounds a long trip for a single oil fill, but I can testify that it doesn't cause any problem.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 03:46:06 PM »
The thing that does make a difference, is the use of synthetic oil in motorcycles, whose engines share oil with the gearbox. Synth oil does not do well in transmission gears, where the long chain molecules get cut up.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Fuze

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 14'Tex white/graph
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 04:05:09 PM »
I don't have a long chain molecule, I have a shaft drive.

Recent Topics