Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: No oil change till 10,000 miles?  (Read 6082 times)

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: No oil change till 10,000 miles?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 05:19:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fuze [+]
I don't have a long chain molecule, I have a shaft drive.
OK, long shaft molecules.  :038:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CanadianTEX416

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 T12 XCA
  • City / Town: Cold Lake
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 11:27:49 PM »
so i cant speak for my T12 because it only has 1500 on it at the moment, BUT on a previous bike, 2007 CBR 600, i did them at 8000km's, and when i did that at that interval that oil was BLAAAAAAAAAACK, now a few things might have played factors in this, but the bike wasnt over 80000km so the engine was all still running like new, but the fact that motorcycles share oil with the Transmission really does make the oil deteriorate faster, its still going to lubricate of course, oil even gunked up is still oil....i just couldnt wrap my head around doing oil changes at the same interval as i do on my Truck....hell i do them at about 12-14k on that lol (ford Ecoboost engine, dont trust it completely for long periods  :008: :008: :008:)

now on the tiger i was thinking im gonna do the first one (after the breakins of course) at around 8K and see what it looks like and make a decision from there, because it is true that newer engines and more modern engines run better and things of the sort, plus i am Using AMS oil 10W-40 Metric Motorcycle oil, which is meant to last longer periods....but im not expecting that oil to look any kind of welcoming

what i would say is, do the oil change interval you feel most comfortable with, or do one sooner like i plan on doing and have a look at the oil, even run a gloved hand through it, i personally dont mind shelling out a bit more for some oil and filters a year to do it more often....remember, new oil or frequent oil changes arent gonna hurt anything but your wallet
2018 Tiger 12, XCA

Offline supernac

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2014 XC
  • City / Town: Springfield
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 12:03:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
I change the engine oil in my '12 model every 5,000 miles and change the rear diff every other oil change. If it weren't for the fact that it's stable is heated & cooled, it would get changed at the end of every riding season, regardless of miles...

I 2nd this. I wouldn’t go 10k miles on this bike, especially with the known transmission issues.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 10:10:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by CanadianTEX416 [+]
remember, new oil or frequent oil changes arent gonna hurt anything but your wallet
And the environment, of course.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »
About five years ago (ish) bikes were serviced/ oil changed at 6,000 mile intervals when using semi-synth oil, this was increased to 8,000-10,000 miles when fully synthetic oils became more popular with manufacturers, about 15 years a go I bought a small diesel car that used fully synthetic oil and had 18,000 mile service intervals (not time dependent, but I guess three years would be pushing it a bit).

Anybody notice a trend  :008:

Americans have always seemed to have a penchant for changing oil halfway through its traditional lifecycle, for us Brits with ever more expensive oils it's seen as a bit of a waste of perfectly good product, for Americans with much cheaper oil products it's seen as erring on the safe side, I guess it comes down to how much money you want to spend and how much time you want to spend in the garage, but there really is no real NEED to change the oil more frequently than the 10,000 miles services.
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 01:21:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by CanadianTEX416 [+]
so i cant speak for my T12 because it only has 1500 on it at the moment, BUT on a previous bike, 2007 CBR 600, i did them at 8000km's, and when i did that at that interval that oil was BLAAAAAAAAAACK, now a few things might have played factors in this, but the bike wasnt over 80000km so the engine was all still running like new, but the fact that motorcycles share oil with the Transmission really does make the oil deteriorate faster, its still going to lubricate of course, oil even gunked up is still oil....i just couldnt wrap my head around doing oil changes at the same interval as i do on my Truck....hell i do them at about 12-14k on that lol (ford Ecoboost engine, dont trust it completely for long periods  :008: :008: :008:)

now on the tiger i was thinking im gonna do the first one (after the breakins of course) at around 8K and see what it looks like and make a decision from there, because it is true that newer engines and more modern engines run better and things of the sort, plus i am Using AMS oil 10W-40 Metric Motorcycle oil, which is meant to last longer periods....but im not expecting that oil to look any kind of welcoming

what i would say is, do the oil change interval you feel most comfortable with, or do one sooner like i plan on doing and have a look at the oil, even run a gloved hand through it, i personally dont mind shelling out a bit more for some oil and filters a year to do it more often....remember, new oil or frequent oil changes arent gonna hurt anything but your wallet

Sensible approach and what we do on site for gearbox oils, often oil is sent to the lab for analysis, but then it's kinda important that our equipment doesn't break down  :016:

Pretty sure enough bikes have been serviced now though to have that confidence in oil longevity  :016:
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 04:26:25 PM »
CBC Marketplace did a show recently on auto dealers that push oil changes at two or three or even four times more frequently than the manufacturer specifies. They took a vehicle around to various dealers and asked what it needed. They also took the vehicle to an independent shop, which checked the vehicle thoroughly and performed an oil analysis. The result of the oil analysis was that there was absolutely no reason for not following the auto manufacturers' published maintenance schedule.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 05:28:24 AM »
The big thing to keep in mind a lot is going to depend on how you ride.  10K miles on the highway will be easy on the oil while 10K of stop and go traffic or track days will be hard on it.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 08:44:45 AM »
Perfectly sound remark!
Statistics are a thing, but in the end every individual is... well... individual ;-)

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 01:14:51 PM »
You want to think yourself lucky -I change the oil on my Laverdas every 1000 miles - its cheap maintenance on older engines 
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Recent Topics