Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: No oil change till 10,000 miles?  (Read 5327 times)

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: No oil change till 10,000 miles?
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 04:35:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
The big thing to keep in mind a lot is going to depend on how you ride.  10K miles on the highway will be easy on the oil while 10K of stop and go traffic or track days will be hard on it.
That's where the "or annually" rule kicks in.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 12:56:12 AM »
You want to think yourself lucky - I change the oil on my Laverdas every 1000 miles

You leave it that long  :164:  (... says an ex-Jota owner)   :001:

Offline Dark Star

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Rhondda
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »
I think long service intervals are just a selling point for bikes today.  I just do a simple oil and filer change at the 5K intervals between my XRT's 10k service intervals.  It comes out fairly clean and I'm happy with that.  It isn't expensive and I will be keeping the bike long term so I would rather be safe than sorry.

Offline Britjunkie

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 10:00:12 PM »
I agree with the idea that manufacturers are trying to reduce the cost of ownership but at what expense? I changed my oil at 600 miles and just now at 5100 miles. The oil that came out was very black this time, so I'm glad I didn't go for the 10000 mile interval. I'll just eat the extra expense for a "feel good" moment.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 09:02:55 AM »
Interesting!
Two successive reports at 5k miles with opposite oil status.

I'd say that this goes to show service intervals do stand for most riders, but some (aggressive riders? challenging environmental condition?) should probably play it safe.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 05:06:51 PM »
There there are the people who change the filter twice but keep the same oil...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 05:29:45 AM »
Give me another month or two and I will get an analysis report on here at around the 5K miles mark.

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 10:58:05 AM »
As I've done over 5k miles now, I'm going to pump out a litre and replace it with fresh Castrol Power 1 Racing, the same as they use obviously. It'll be interesting to see how far it's degraded. I'll take a couple of pictures comparing the tackiness of the two between my fingers if I can see a visible difference.

Offline Britjunkie

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 10:04:15 PM »
I just watched my friend change his oil. He's my usual riding companion, so the bikes have been operated similarly. His bike has 6000 miles on it and he did the change in my garage. His oil was a 
dark transparent amber, looking very good. I'm thinking that my oil looked black was because of the way I was viewing it and lighting at the time. My oil was poured into a 5 gal. "petrol" can that I store all my oils in prior to recycling so I can't go back and recheck it :232:

Offline flaldrider

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer Launch
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2018, 03:08:35 AM »
I just did an oil change service on my '12 Explorer and found not problems with the oil. I usually change the engine oil at 5000ish mile (8000 km) intervals. I also change the rear drive oil at every 3rd oil change and once again no issues.

Today I picked up my bike from the dealer who performed the valve adjustment and throttle body adjustments and Ted, the mechanic said that the oil  and the valve gear look perfect. He also stated that the valves were not out of spec but were a bit toward the tight side and that is just normal. I have the valves adjusted every 20,000 miles(32,000 km). He said that they could have gone another 10 k miles and still been in spec.

I have been doing these oil changes on this schedule since it was new. By the way, my bike 109,194 miles (175,730 km) on the odometer so it seems that my oil change schedule is working just fine.  I do use the recommended Gastrol synthetic oil.
Mikie

Recent Topics

nonskid