Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: No oil change till 10,000 miles?  (Read 6689 times)

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Re: No oil change till 10,000 miles?
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2019, 02:22:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Remember, that car engines don't include the gearbox in the crankcase oil as motorcycle engines do. That is a significant difference when it comes to shearing and oil longevity.

Thats not a valid argument

most all  of  today's vehicles use motor oil in their manual  transmissions...and they recommend synthetic oil
There are also many gears inside of modern engines . ranging from balance shaft assemblies to timing gear assemblies...not to mention the obvious oil pump assembly.

also, today's direct injection diesel engines all use gear assemblies in the high pressure fuel pumps and again in the timing components...most of which are gear to gear ...and they also all recommend synthetic oil.

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 02:46:07 PM »
This may be entirely subjective, but I'm convinced my bike felt and sounded a lot rougher accelerating/changing gears the closer I got to 10k. Then after my 10k service I'm convinced it felt and sounded a lot smoother.

From the tests people have done on their oil before and after their 10k service, there appears to be a distinct and large degradation of the oil quality which backs up my observations. I'm now going to change the oil myself at the 5k interval between services. If you are careful and are sure to not over-torque the sump plug, it can only be beneficial. The £30 in oil is more than worth it.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2019, 04:55:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
Thats not a valid argument

most all  of  today's vehicles use motor oil in their manual  transmissions...and they recommend synthetic oil
There are also many gears inside of modern engines . ranging from balance shaft assemblies to timing gear assemblies...not to mention the obvious oil pump assembly.

also, today's direct injection diesel engines all use gear assemblies in the high pressure fuel pumps and again in the timing components...most of which are gear to gear ...and they also all recommend synthetic oil.
I am just pointing out that motorcycle engines have more mechanical shearing opportunities than most car engines. And, most motorcycle engines operate at higher RPMs than most car engines. And that means more rotations per miles traveled. Of course, YMMV.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline electroken

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Shelton, CT
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2019, 07:54:50 PM »
I haven't had my TEX long enough to know how easy/rough it is on oil. However, I have had my KLR650 more than long enough and it will shear any oil into piss in 3000 miles.

I don't intend to go past a 5k oil change interval with the TEX.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2019, 08:09:27 PM »
I thought I recognized the name, Electroken. I remember you from the 650.net forum. :028: Still riding the KLR?
Jon

Offline electroken

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Shelton, CT
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2019, 08:14:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
I thought I recognized the name, Electroken. I remember you from the 650.net forum. :028: Still riding the KLR?

I guess there really is nowhere to hide on the internet!

Yes, still riding the KLR pack mule. I bought the TEX to replace my Kawi Concours, which had a nasty frame failure last summer.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2019, 02:58:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by nuttySweeet [+]
This may be entirely subjective, but I'm convinced my bike felt and sounded a lot rougher accelerating/changing gears the closer I got to 10k. Then after my 10k service I'm convinced it felt and sounded a lot smoother.

From the tests people have done on their oil before and after their 10k service, there appears to be a distinct and large degradation of the oil quality which backs up my observations. I'm now going to change the oil myself at the 5k interval between services. If you are careful and are sure to not over-torque the sump plug, it can only be beneficial. The £30 in oil is more than worth it.
I think you did feel a difference.  My 5K test showed the oil almost sheared out of grade, this is with full synthetic.  The wear metals are still good and don't seem to be causing wear.  Blackstone didn't see any issue with the shearing (I think because of the low metals show it is still protecting the engine) so working on 7.5K miles on this next change.   Though winter has put a damper on me racking up the miles.

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2019, 09:45:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
I think you did feel a difference.  My 5K test showed the oil almost sheared out of grade, this is with full synthetic.  The wear metals are still good and don't seem to be causing wear.  Blackstone didn't see any issue with the shearing (I think because of the low metals show it is still protecting the engine) so working on 7.5K miles on this next change.   Though winter has put a damper on me racking up the miles.

Yeah I noticed that in the results, can't be great for the engine but at least it's still being lubricated whilst showing minimal wear. I'm pushing nearly 14k miles for my first year with the bike, don't think I can be arsed to do a change every 2.5k!

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2019, 12:43:20 PM »
I didn't notice any difference whatsoever after my first annual service, oil had done 13.4Km (8K Miles). The engine sounds, gear action & clutch bite totally unaffected with new oil.   :164:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 01:33:11 PM by XCaTel »

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2019, 01:02:54 PM »
Just topped 19,000 miles on mine and saving up for the "big" service, no transmission, or engine faults, started growling a lot more, but that's probably just me keen to get back to more, or less full time commuting, engine is smooth, starts first prod (usually) and zips past German cars like they're going backwards, I assume there's still oil in the sump, but not really any need to go checking on it every five minutes  :008:
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Recent Topics

nonskid