Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: keyless ignition, keyed gas cap, why?  (Read 1842 times)

Online Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
keyless ignition, keyed gas cap, why?
« on: June 01, 2018, 02:42:33 AM »
Ok, 3500 miles and i'm already tired of digging around in my jacket pocket for a key when i refuel. what's even worse is i saw a KTM adventure bike with fob style gas cap, opens when the fob is near. So to make it short, i contacted a outfit "slingshot racing" and ordered one of their billet gas caps (no key). Easy to install and looks fairly decent. $49. before shipping out of San Jose, california. I believe the part number is GCTx2 for the silver version. don't know if this has been discussed before, so i figured i mention it. :152:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: keyless ignition, keyed gas cap, why?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 09:13:07 AM »
Don't know in your part of the world, but I wouldn't have a lockless fuel cap around here!

Still, the current Triumph keyless BS highly annoys me!

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 12:42:04 PM »
Locking fuel tank caps are for security and to hold the cap securely closed, you would also need to have two receivers, one in the ignition lock and one in the tank cap lock, call me old fashioned but I don't like the idea of sparky stuff in a vented petrol cap, or the idea of it springing open mid-corner  :033:

KTM being German will probs tell you "it is German (Austrian) engineering, it will not go wrong", I've worked with German Engineers/ Engineering and it's not all it's cracked up to be, I don't fill my petrol tank everyday, I do ride everyday (mostly), Keyless ignition is handy, I can live with a keyed petrol tank lock  :028:
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
........securely closed, you would also need to have two receivers, one in the ignition lock and one in the tank cap lock,...
Not necessarily, you just need one receiver, which then by magic electronicky (technical term) triggers an actuator linked to the fuel filler. Same as car locking/unlocking, you don't have a receiver on every door handle etc. No electrics on the petrol tank required at all, that actuator can be remote and cable operated to the filler cap.

When you think about it Triumph could develop an ultra simple fuel filler lock by having a simple mechanical pushbutton on the dash which cable operates the fuel filler release (like lots of cars). If the bike is locked/key out of range/ignion off a simple actuator driven locking pin prevents you from mechanically pressing the fuel filler button. Hey presto, locking filler cap with keyless opening.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 01:54:02 PM »
I have never had that big of an issue with the manual gas cap.  I have to dig for my wallet to pay and remove my gloves so getting the key didn't seem that much more I needed to do. 

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 01:58:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
I have never had that big of an issue with the manual gas cap.  I have to dig for my wallet to pay and remove my gloves so getting the key didn't seem that much more I needed to do.
Exactly, it’s not a chore really, a minor inconvenience. As I have said before, I would have happily had an ignition barrel too.

Online Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 06:45:59 PM »
All the above mentioned is true, my problem is that i stock my jacket pockets with all kinds of small stuff, energy bars and other weird items. Trying to find a key which has migrated to a corner of my pocket and trying to stay hidden bugs me when I stop for fuel. I rode for years on bikes that did not have a locking gas cap and then the ones which did, the key was right there in the ignition, very handy.

As to security, I am surprised by the numerous posts on this forum talking about protecting the bike from all types of threats. Granted I would not leave my bike with a key available or without locking it in a strange neighborhood, but you guys in Europe and England seem to have a real issue with people messing with your bikes. Is really that bad? I mean, ya I wouldnt go to south central or East LA and leave my bike, but for the most part, it's pretty safe around here. I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone stealing fuel, even from a car. If it is that bad, you need to start weeding out your bad guys, somehow. :192:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 08:17:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawk281 [+]
I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone stealing fuel, even from a car. If it is that bad, you need to start weeding out your bad guys, somehow. :192:
A car/bike thief can get numerous, dozens of convictions before ever setting foot in a prison in this part of the world. "It's not his fault m'lud, it was his parents/alcohol/drugs/the dog across the streets fault. Oh OK then , 150 hours of community service seeing as it is only your 5th conviction. Or you get a minor to do the actual stealing and the courts don't touch them.

This from our nearest neighbour. Of the 7,405 criminals prosecuted for theft of a motor vehicle in England and Wales between 2012 and 2016, just 20 per cent were handed custodial sentences, with the average length of 21 months. What about those who dodged jail time? They received an average fine of just £198 - less than motorists receive if caught using a mobile phone behind the wheel.

Online Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 10:30:37 PM »
I can relate to some of this. I was in Law enforcement for 30 year and recently retired as a Property crime detective, where my main focus was on auto theft. We have some the same problems in sentencing, but I don't believe quite as bad. Couple that with living in the liberal state of California and putting the bad guys away did prove to be challenging. It seems to me that you guys should be pounding on someone desk, saying fix it, but I sure that has happened with little or no response from your elected officials. Anyway, a sad state of affairs when the crooks get a better deal than the victim. :187:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 09:14:21 AM »
I never had my tank fractured, but I have friends who had.
One of them inside our Company subterranean parking lot!

Such cases apparently raise when the unemployment and fuel prices are high (what a surprise!).

Recent Topics

nonskid